Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bubbleman100

Metallica's Easter Egg in Doom

What do you mean Metallica's easter egg? Are you referring to the riff from No Remorse  that sounds vaguely familiar to the riff from E1M1? Or how E2M2 sounds sort of like Call of Ktulu? Those are the only things I can think of that could count as a Metallica easter egg in Ultimate Doom.

1 hour ago, Marn said:

If you play the Icon of Sin's alert sound backwards you hear Lars Ulrich warning us about the dangers of music piracy. 

BEER, GOOD!

I'm tryin to put my finger on it but um..

The only Metallica sort of stuff I can recall aside from music resemblance, is some Deathmatch maps for Doom 2 in the mid-90's that have Metallica music (Midi remakes) in them. 

Aside from that, there may be some map editor shots with MOP crosses or something, I can't really think of anything else.

Easter Egg? I don't think so, but I could be wrong I guess.

1 hour ago, Senor500 said:

Wasn't there a map that had METALLICA drawn on it like E4M1 has NIN?

PWAD, probably. Base game, heck no.

1 hour ago, Senor500 said:

12 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

PWAD, probably. Base game, heck no.

Yup that would be @NaturalTvventy's E2M6 from end1.wad

ezgif-1-4d8d2a4e5a00.gif

OP is probably confusing the Metallica logo for the NIN secret in E4M1.

Edited by chowbar : added the gif from kmxexii cause twitter is a pita

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

If you're talking about E1M1, that's not Metallica it's DRI. 

This has been pretty thoroughly debunked at this point. The similar riff lasts for all of about one second and it’s not among the confirmed albums at the id office circa 1993, and I would be surprised given how obscure it is compared to the other musical inspirations.

Even No Remorse, which has more in common with the E1M1 riff on paper, is pretty unlikely to be the inspiration since there’s no record of that album being at the id office, though it’s at least far more likely considering Romero’s taste and the sales figures/popularity of the respective albums.

If we take Bobby Prince at his word, E1M1 was one of the few metal MIDIs used in Doom that had no direct inspiration.

3 hours ago, Senor500 said:

No End In Sight had that, forgot what map but it needed to be changed when NEIS is added as an official add-on

On 4/29/2020 at 3:24 AM, ZeroTheEro said:

No End In Sight had that, forgot what map but it needed to be changed when NEIS is added as an official add-on

Yeah, you're right. It's map E4M1: Nexus. It's probably an homage to the NIN logo in E4M1: Hell Beneath.