Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AngelFlash

What are the most commonly used source ports?

Question

I've only ever used GZ Doom and Zandronum (for MM8BDM). What are other versions of Doom that people usually default to that I should test my maps with?

5 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Singleplayer: 

• PrBoom+ supports everything for Vanilla and Boom, which means 95% of WADs.
  • GZDoom has a lot of advanced features, but screws up the vanilla compatibility.
  • If you want to play Heretic, Hexen or Strife, there are the Chocolate- ports. The only other port for them is GZDoom.
  • EDIT: Crispy Heretic exists. If you want to make limit-removing levels, but don't want to deal with ZDoomisms, use it.

Multiplayer:

• Odamex is a good classic port, but it's dead.
  • ZDaemon has some advanced features like slopes and water, but nothing too sophisticated.
  • Zandronum is full of diverse mods, you can call some friends and have a lot of fun.
  • If you want to play Heretic, Hexen or Strife, the Chocolate- ports also support multiplayer. Again, the only other port for them is Zandronum.

Other:

• Chocorenderlimits is a good port for testing vanilla compatibility, allowing you to place detail within vanilla limits. There is no equivalent for Heretic, Hexen and Strife, sadly, so for them it's trial-and-error.
  • PrBoom+ is unsuitable for testing your own WADs. Use Chocolate Doom for vanilla, Crispy Doom for limit-removing, PrBoom+ for Boom.
Edited by Kut

Besides the ZDoom family there's the Boom ports (PrBoom+ for example) and the Chocolate family (Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom...)

Posted (edited)

It depends on your mapping format.

If you are targeting for ALL Doom players, GZDoom/Zandronum should suffice.

If you are aiming to ALL non-GZDoom family players, PRBoom+ alone is enough.

If you somehow like to map in the ancient Doom-in-Doom (or Doom 1/2) mapping format, Chocolate Doom/Crispy Doom are good contenders.

36 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

What?

It's unsuitable for testing vanilla WADs because it doesn't replicate the tutti-frutti effect. It's the only drawback I know.