Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Delays for v3.31 beta 2, Heretic progress, and a bug list review

Now that object z clipping is mostly stabilized, I would *LIKE* to release a new Eternity beta, but its just not in a usable state right now. The following has to happen before the next beta release:

1) Significant expansion of Small support, at least enough to get the start map working again

2) Beta ExtraData experimental format with at least support for line, sector, and thing id fields (this is necessary as a prerequisite to the above).

Work has already gone into both, but there is still a LOT to be done, and now finals are right around the corner for me so I'll have less and less time to work on it.

I'd also ideally like to have the Eternity Win32 frontend ready for release along with the beta. But with time concerns, I do not intend to delay the release of the beta to facilitate that. It'll probably have to wait until beta 3, which will probably be the first launch in 2003, the way things are going.

A bit of progress has been made in Heretic support. Flags were added to support things that sometimes make their see sound instead of their active sound, and for things that make their active sound at full volume. These effects are non-exclusive and can be combined. Code has been generalized for boss teleportation and for collection of related mapthings, like boss brain spots, in preparation for D'Sparil support. On that note, the Heretic limit on boss telespots is removed by using the BOOM brain spots code, and D'Sparil will teleport to ANY spot, not just to ones 128 units away (the danger of such a limitation is infinite loops). I also came up with a function to emulate the probability curve for his teleportation.

Anyways, here's a list of some of the issues which were raised after v3.29 gamma and v3.31 beta 1, and whether or not they've been addressed:

1) Crosshair sometimes doesn't match where you're aiming --
This hasn't been addressed yet. Note that it is only wrong when aiming at a floor or ceiling, and not at walls. This is a side effect of floor/ceiling shooting having been added by us later.

2) Menu problem with TCs that change the font to use a different range of colors --
This hasn't been addressed yet, but an assessment was made. I determined that adding a pointer to the menus would not be as simple as I thought it would, due entirely to the varying alignment formats of the SMMU menu system. I'm still thinking about ways to address this.

3) Lack of episode menu for Ultimate DOOM mods -- this was fixed in v3.31 beta 1 by disabling the feature for starting on the first new map when in Ultimate DOOM (the feature is still used for DOOM II however)

I know there were more issues, but these are all that I can think of, and I'm out of time for typing now. Lemme know if you think of something you've seen in Eternity that needs fixing, because now, before the next beta release, is the best time for me to fix things, rather than afterward. Otherwise, you won't see your fixes in place until late January probably :P

I do have a feature suggestion - the ability to drag and drop WADs directly onto exe's icon to run them. This would make my life a lot easier.

I seem to recall being unable to get screenshots to work...

/me goes and checks

Yup, * doesn't do it anymore, and there's no bind for it in the menu. It's still in the CFG file though.

JoelMurdoch said:

I do have a feature suggestion - the ability to drag and drop WADs directly onto exe's icon to run them. This would make my life a lot easier.

/me goes and checks

Yup, * doesn't do it anymore, and there's no bind for it in the menu. It's still in the CFG file though.

Yeah, well, binding screenshot can be done in the console but you knew that. I have it binded to S.

JoelMurdoch said:

/me goes and checks

I don't think drag and drop can be supported without using Win32 API, and that's not something I want to do.

For screenshots, there's the screenshot console command, which was added in v3.31 beta 1 since Print Screen is borked under Windows. As to what happened to the '*' key, I'm not sure. Fraggle seems to have removed it in SMMU. I'll check to see if I can add it back.

Quasar said:
I don't think drag and drop can be supported without using Win32 API, and that's not something I want to do.

IMO, all you need is to accept wad files without the need for -file.

#include 

using namespace std;

void main(int argc, char ** argv) {

for (int i=0; i> c;
}
Build that using an empty console project and drag and drop a file on the exe: you'll see the filename is in argv.

julian is correct afaik

in windows, when you drop a file on an exe, the program is run with the file's full name (with path included) as a parameter..

so what could be done, is if a cmdline parameter isn't recognized, you could see if it ended with ".wad", and if it did, you could try to process it the same way as a -file parameter..

:)

That would still be pretty complicated, given the way the command line works. Also, I'd need to implement the LFN fixes from prboom before I'd be able to do that. I do intend to implement those fixes, but probably not before beta 2 release given the delays already being faced. So that issue will have to wait, I'm afraid.

So far we have the screenshot key (actually, lack thereof). Surely there's other stuff. I'll take outright feature requests too, as long as they're simple, little things (BBG...)

Ok, a simple, little thing? Make the 180-turn more like the 180-turn in Duke 3d instead of the motion-sickness inducing ride it is now. Simple act of making the player turn to the left really quick (but not to quick).

Significant expansion of Small support, at least enough to get the start map working again

woot!