Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Y2theJ

Start Up

Hey fellow doomers. I've recently upgraded my PC. (understatement of the year) I've gone from a 486 Dos OS, to a P4 Win98 OS. My question is this: Whenever I start up windows it takes a great deal of time to finish start up. I think it's coz windows is loading all these bullshit programs that I never use. And most of them seem to appear in the bottom right of the screen. Is there any way I can stop me computer from doing this?
Any help would be great. Thanx :)

If you've just recently gotten a new computer, how can it already be cluttered with bullshit programs you never use?

I consider recently to be a couple of months. If that's helpful? Which is obviously more than enough time for this to happen.

Fredrik said:

If you've just recently gotten a new computer, how can it already be cluttered with bullshit programs you never use?

Easily. The first Win95 PC my family bought came with a fuckton of useless apps pre-installed.

yeah, check out your start-up items by typing "msconfig" in the Run command... or check your StartUp folder in your start-menu

if you have a P4, then it is more likely a device or network issue that is causing the long start-up.
remove the adapters and protocols that you don't use in the Network Properties.
make sure you don't have devices that are corrupt... or if you have (say, a USB cdrw drive) that you have hooked up only sometimes, this can cause a long pause waiting for the device to answer on that port.
lastly, if you have Norton (or similar) it may be doing unnecessary tasks upon boot every time... like backing up your registry, or defragging. :)

if u bought it off of a company, compaq, dell gateway chances are they used a restore disk. those things are worthless and loaded with bullshit. uninstall all the BS and get rid of the restore disk. however if they did not give u a version of windows( no win98 cd) and it is a restore disk then i would recomend buying a version of windows. i bet it is all BS.
stuff u dont need
real player( either use the defaults or winamp or others, real player eats the shit out of a system)
AOL or any AOL related software, unless you use AOL u dont need it
MSN software, dont need that shit either. unless u use it
net smart, or internet tutorial programs(ahh dont need)

and shit loads of others, i have commonly run into the above programs that either start at boot or some part of them starts at boot.
only have the basics start at boot

Win98 is the Ford Mustang of OSes. Kinda fast, but overall quite shitty.

XP is like the Corvette of OSes. Pretty fast, very stable, but shit on gas mileage and pretty expensive.

And then you've got Linux, which is like the Delorean of OSes. Real nice, but damned if you're going to find parts for it.

That is a good analogy, Katarhyne.
although, when you have a Ford transmission, you are locked into using the Ford... and the other 2 are useless.