Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem: 2020 Edition - On Idgames!

image.png.81f5321b0313eb5573827d7f80f9392e.pngTen sectors so far! This is an interesting way to map because you have to concentrate much more on making your map interesting with textures and Things - you only have a limited number of heights, floors and levels of lighting to play about with.

Edit: Oh my god I forgot about sound propagation - I think I'll be putting a lot of Ambush monsters in here...

Edited by DavidN

Sure why not, I will give this a shot. I must admit this limitation scares me a bit, but that's precisely why I should do it.

1 hour ago, Ecafr8708 said:

Eh, screw it, I'm in. Not sure if I'll finish it, but might as well try. EDIT: It's still 1pm April 30th for me, so I should start tomorrow, right?

Actually never mind, count me out. Got no idea what to make.

Count me as a solid "maybe." No idea if I'll be able to squeeze something in, but it's mighty tempting to finally give LostRes an actual live test run. :P

Making a map with only 20 sectors? Sounds like a fun challenge.

I'll consider this one.

Ahhhh I wasn't going to join but 20 sectors is so damn limiting that I could knock this out in a week, maybe??????????????? I'll see if I can come up with an idea.

A quick bit of clarification: maps will be accepted past the 32-map mark if it comes to that, with the best ones making their way to the initial 32 slots. Others will be either occupying MAP33 and onwards or (if there's enough) compiled into their own separate wad.

@DavidN Nice shot! Liking the sector height usage. :)

2 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I'm interested in joining but I'm new to this whole thing. What exactly does Doom 2 in Boom format entails?

Doom 2 in Boom format is one of the mapping options available to you in your editor of choice: it offers more flexibility than mapping for vanilla Doom via an extended list of line actions, generalized actions and virtually no limitations on map size and complexity. You can find a more comprehensive write-up here.

I see that many people have joined, it means, are they still receiving more or not? because i would like to participate

Sign me up as well! I've never contributed to a project like this before and it will be interesting!

7 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Also I still have no idea what COMPLEVEL9 is. :l

Compatibility level 9: it's a level that can be set in PrBoom that emulates older Doom formats. You can find more information on it here.

Those two flats are on the short list of things I'd like to clean up and include in a future LostRes update -- as-is they're ugly and unfinished (the blue pentagram is green for some reason and the gold is very crudely sketched and doesn't correctly blend in to the background).

[EDIT] Fortunately, the blue is a dead-easy edit:

GATE5.png.b2cb2acd79bd757ede3f793cbcd3704f.png

Workin' on the gold one right now, for grins. Planning on just calling 'em GATE5 and GATE6 respectively, nothin' fancy name-wise. :P

Edited by Xaser

1 minute ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Forgot to ask: How many maps can each mapper create?

There's no limit to the amount of maps you can submit, although it is worth bearing in mind that there will be some quality control in selecting maps for the main 32.

Maybe they'll make it now -- here's GATE6:

GATE6.png.4509b7b35fcd7f70b341a416be043a36.png

Could maybe still use some polish on the edges, but it'll do for now.

One question; must each map features 4 player starts? I'm making a map that's balanced for 2 players and I think that it may breaks if I add 1 more player 3 start point.

Thanks for the prompt reply Xaser, I'll add those flats in the next texture update.

20 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

One question; must each map features 4 player starts? I'm making a map that's balanced for 2 players and I think that it may breaks if I add 1 more player 3 start point.

Wait, you're balancing your map for 2-player co-op only? In what manner does your map break if you add the Player 3 and 4 starts?

54 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Wait, you're balancing your map for 2-player co-op only? In what manner does your map break if you add the Player 3 and 4 starts?

Well, yes. Due to the main gimmick of my map, I fear 4 players might result in a map with poor gameplay, or I will (possibly) have to exceed the 20 sectors limit. Things might change if 4 player starts are really mandatory.

Hmmm...unfortunately the co-op starts have to be in there, but I could take a look at the map for you when you're done and see how it could be re-jiggered to suit 4 players. That's the best I can offer, I'm afraid.