Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem: 2020 Edition - On Idgames!

Updated my map again (same URL, as usual) to fix a placeholder ceiling flat somewhere that I forgot to change last time. No other changes for now.

Update to my map attached. Save any major bugs, this is the final version.

Changelog:

- Made health bonus platform in rock area larger to reduce chance of unintentional dropdown back into poison pit

- Changed position of teleporter destination after each subsection to make the level progression a little clearer

- And very minor changes to health and monster placement in a couple of places

horus_20sectors_v4.zip

Close to releasing the next beta! About the only things left are some graphical work and the silly story that seems to be par for the course for MAYhem these days. :P The only snag is that I'm not the artiest and I got this far with the revamped TITLEPIC before throwing in the towel:

Spoiler

NEWERPIC.png

For reference, this is what I was trying to mimic:

Spoiler

TITLEPIC.png

If anyone feels like they could take a proper stab at it, I'd be mighty grateful and we can hopefully get this completed in a timely manner (unlike all the other MAYhems that've come before :P). We're almost there!

6ff4c0bfa8f735a682598554149140a4.png

EDIT: I forgot the word sectors... I also modified the font to be slightly outlined helping with readability.

cfb4ea469d6660182a9464ee19ea73e6.png

Edited by Dragonfly

Oh hot damn, cheers Dragonfly! Expect to see the next beta out within the next 24 hours.

Since everything moves to another beta, here is updated interpic 320*200 and wallpaper (1920*1080)

Edited by 4MaTC

dstation_1.6.zip

My final update. I felt as if this needed to be made slightly easier, so I included / altered some extra health and ammo items. Not too much, though. Notably the four medikits at the beginning, and the change from one green armour to a blue one (on UV).

I'm a man of my word.

Changelog

• Added a GAMEINFO lump.
  • Obtained a new TITLEPIC, courtesy of Dragonfly: thanks heaps man, you're an absolute legend.
  • Added a hare-brained story about the UAC Phobos complex being converted into a spa resort: what can I say, I liked the pipe textures in the resource. :P
  • Tried using the author thing that @Bauul suggested, but as it turns out that just spells out the mapper's name under the CWILV## graphic...which already has the mapper's name in it. XP Ah well, it's a neat feature.
  • Incorporated all the updates and bugfixes noted since the last update.
With any luck this should be the finished product: I'll give y'all a week to play it through and leave feedback and if there's nothing pressing that needs to be fixed, we can pop this bad boy on the archives!

I sound like such a villain for pointing this out, since it is such a minor nitpick, but I noticed in the mayhem20 readme file that the music credits has mine and @blinds1ght's outdated music selections credited.

They should be 'The Hive' by In Flames, and 'Alice' by Jimmy, respectively. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Wow, you have been very efficient with this Obsidian!

@TheV1perK1ller Not nitpicking at all! It's important the right people get credited in the music credits

@Obsidian Just scanning through the text file and I noticed this:

MAP05: Wastewater Plant
Author: DavidN 
Music: MIDI of "Quad Machine" from Quake II

MAP35: Return to Pain Manor
Author: Arno
Music: "Constable's Gate" by Jimmy

MAP07: Heavy Lifting
Author: Arctangent
Music: "Let's Kill at Will" from TNT: Evilution

Unless we've got some awesome MAPINFO stuff going on, I reckon that one in the middle there is actually MAP06 ;) I'm guessing Cyberdismantling never made it in, in the end?

11 minutes ago, Phobus said:

I'm guessing Cyberdismantling never made it in, in the end?

Apparently so, and like I said, that is fine - the map is currently a mess.

Hey I briefly loaded these maps into ZDaemon. map02 has visible voodoo dolls at the start. map29 is using extended nodes, even though it doesn't need them. This prevents it from loading in ZDaemon. I created a small patch wad to supplement this wad to allow using in ZDaemon for coop play by fixing the coop multiplayer starts on map02, and rebuilding the nodes on map29 with zdbsp. You can see it: here.

Online multiplayer sever is on ZDaemon here: zds://37.247.54.67:10601 [Broken Glass Breakfast - Mayhem 2020 Beta 1.2]

52 minutes ago, damo2k said:

map29 is using extended nodes, even though it doesn't need them. This prevents it from loading in ZDaemon.

I was actually completely unaware this affected ZDaemon. I've had the extended nodes config as my default for Boom maps mostly due to their prospective size and the way it usually does away with slime trails. In any case, I made a test with regular ZDBSP and it does seem to look all fine, so thanks for checking!

@Obsidian You can use the fixed version of the map as is.

The intermission screen after map 20 has a typo, it says 'invastion' which I assume should read 'invasion'

2 hours ago, Horus said:

The intermission screen after map 20 has a typo, it says 'invastion' which I assume should read 'invasion'

Taken care of. I netted the textfile typos pointed out earlier as well, cheers guys. :)

20 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Taken care of. I netted the textfile typos pointed out earlier as well, cheers guys. :)

Also Map31 Intermission text and the one from map21 are the same

1 hour ago, Redead-ITA said:

Also Map31 Intermission text and the one from map21 are the same

That's odd, I could've sworn that I tested for that. Does anyone have any explanations? I'm a little inexperienced with the new MAPINFO formatting and I might've screwed something up.

Hello,

as some of you might already know by now, MAYhem wads are definitely a TNS material and this year is no exception. So let me extend this invitation for the first 1/3 of the maps on Thursday Night Survival today. As usually, the session starts at 19:00 BST/14:00 EDT and you can expect it to be fairly active for at least a few hours.

As damo2k already mentioned there are 2 issues worth fixing in regards to ZDaemon:
- 3 player 2 starts and 0 p3 and p4 starts in MAP02 (this results in voodoo dolls)
- MAP29 using extended nodes (this will crash ZDaemon on map load)

There are a few more small issues I noticed but I'll leave that for a report after the session together with any other issues we may encounter.

Nice wad but I mostly found maps in the second part of it interesting. The music was good all the way through. I appreciate seeing new textures. The levels that I liked are now featured in my thread above. 

We still have maps 16-30, 33-48 ahead of us on TNS but as requested here are all the issues I'm aware of:

MAP01
- Once the floors in the whole map lower players can get stuck in the various lowered areas on the east of the map (sectors 7 and 10).
- A demon (thing 133) is stuck.
- Not sure what's happening here but there is this weird flickering texture problem, at least in software rendering.

MAP05
- Once sector 18 is fully lowered it stops being a secret so the secret can become inaccessible like this.

MAP06
- With infinitely tall actors disabled it's possible to walk on tree stumps (things 76 and 83) to get to the higher sectors and then you can get stuck if you fall into any of the holes there (not the mapper's fault but the fact is vast majority of multiplayer servers disable infinitely tall actors).
- Seems like line 2346 accidentally uses STEPLAD1 instead of STEP11.

MAP11
- Considering the intended pistol start gameplay of MAP12 with the 4 cybers I think the death exit here should make use of a voodoo doll to kill all players and therefore force pistol starts for everyone. (Of course this is something to consider for any map with a death exit but I think because of the unique nature of MAP12 it's important to not ruin the intended gameplay with carried over weapons and ammo.)

MAP16
- This looks like it might have even be intended to create a sort of mirror effect but reporting this just to be sure - bleeding textures on these lines: 576, 787, 788, 1063, 1099, 1381, 1382, 1383, 1461, 1524 (just 3 different areas but well, difficult to just report sectors with all the sector merging).

MAP25
- Voodoo doll because of a superfluous player 2 start.

MAP33
- The sky texture seems to be broken in PrBoom+.

Small update to Map 12.  

- Removed a bunch of additional void-sectors that weren't necessary

- Added more cells and a BFG to make the final section way less grindy.  But removed the backpack to not unbalance the subsequent map quite so much

Download here.  Should be all set to just copy into the main wad.

Quick status update: I'm currently waiting for the next Thursday Night Survival, which should be covering the second half of the 1.3 compilation. Once that's done we can nab any remaining co-op bugs and get this thing fully polished and ready to place on the archives. Home stretch!

*Knocks on wood*

On 7/13/2020 at 9:16 AM, Keyboard_Doomer said:

MAP06
- With infinitely tall actors disabled it's possible to walk on tree stumps (things 76 and 83) to get to the higher sectors and then you can get stuck if you fall into any of the holes there (not the mapper's fault but the fact is vast majority of multiplayer servers disable infinitely tall actors).
- Seems like line 2346 accidentally uses STEPLAD1 instead of STEP11.

Thanks for the feedback! I've updated the map accordingly.

I've sealed off the problematic higher sectors with impassible linedefs. It was a bit sloppy of me to leave them accessible. Theoretically a player could also have gotten there with an AV jump.

That usage of STEPLAD1 wasn't really an accident, as I wanted it look like a drain. I've changed it to STEP11 now, as it did look a bit odd.

@Obsidian: the text file of MAY20_1.3.zip still has my map listed as MAP35.

ReturnToPainManor_v4.zip