Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem: 2020 Edition - On Idgames!

5 hours ago, Impie said:

If i had any sectors left, I'd have totally done that, but alas...

and yeah, i adore that stupid, stupid track.

I gave your map a quick look on UDB to see if there was anything obvious that could save a sector...unfortunately it had the opposite of the intended effect as UDB says your map has 21 sectors.

Which made me curious so I checked the other maps in the 2020A megawad that I've played so far, with the following results:

- @Dragonfly's map has 22 sectors

- @Phobus's map has 21 sectors

Nepal Bird Massacre – @Danlex – 00:00 (UV): A simple map, and yet, a beautiful map visually. The revenant horde battle seems at least partially cheesable from the little crescent hiding spot through the vines, I’m not complaining though, it meant that battle gave me a whole lot less grief than it could’ve done :P. The hell noble finale is very easy – just a case of circle strafing – wonder if another monster type could be added here to spice things up a bit. That single health bonus was very sneaky :P

Current Issues – @Snikle – 07:30 (UV): Can’t go wrong with this MIDI on a high-tempo map such as this one. At first I wondered how I would ever get past the initial trap but I figured it out. Another simple map, but a fun one
Bug: Five monsters failed to teleport in at the end. I tried IDCLIP and IDDQD to see where they were, but couldn’t find them.

Otsegolectric – @4MaTC – 13:55 (UV): This one was really difficult, but I pulled through in the end. The cybers were well placed such that the player never really feels comfortable. The vast majority of the map is pretty well done, the only underwhelming piece was the fact that the YK door simply unveiled a switch and you had to backtrack back through the book maze without any new monsters

The Desert Base – @Walter confetti – 35:10 (UV): Pretty simple map. Teased a very easy opener before showing its colours with the cyber, mancubus and revenants. Bug: The cyber got stuck at the end, meaning I could finish it off without retaliation. Some monster blocking lines are probably needed. But on the flipside, I got a great view of the cyber’s ass (42:40 for best view). There are texture misalignments right by the exit switch

Monolith – @NaturalTvventy – 43:25 (UV): Why the secret triggered at the start? Isn’t 0% secrets only an issue for Crispy & Chocolate Doom? Anyway, this was a pretty fun arena map that seemed simple enough at first, but the horde unleashed with each skull key warranted use of the megasphere and invuln for sure.
Bug: Two mancubi didn’t spawn until I went through the silent teleporter that triggered the YK battle for a second time (58:30)

Lab Rat – @wydoomer – 1:01:00 (UV): Okay the highlight of this map for me was by far the caco swarm. It was a really clever, well-made battle where you had to keep using the fireblu to switch between the two sides so you could continue firing at the cacos without your own rockets killing you. I was less enthused by all those inescapable lava pits

Re-refueling Base – @4MaTC – 1:15:55 (UV): Note to self: 4MaTC makes hard maps! Think I’m going to play their third map on HMP, because although I managed to finish the map, it was really difficult. The homage is clear, but it retains enough of its own identity and nuance to retain interest. This map is difficult trap after difficult trap after difficult trap, never are you ‘comfortable’. Nonetheless, for the most part it is a well constructed map. The exception being towards the end. There were two doors that weren’t lower unpegged (1:36:00 and 1:39:00). The ‘explosive’ chaingunner switch trap was BS, if you don’t have the right weapon immediately equipped you’re toast. Then I heard the Romero head being damaged once, and then killed, which triggered at the end of the map. Not sure if it ended how it was supposed to but it was very confusing.

3 hours ago, Impie said:

Why not just have one file with two episodes instead? E1 is Mayhem 2020, and E2 is the runners-up. People are gonna wanna play all the maps anyway.

I am pretty sure that the second Pcorf community project (2048 Unleashed) had accomplished the exact same thing (that WAD also had 49 maps). I reckon it would be a viable option here as well.

@Horus I'm pretty sure my latest version of the download re-joined the sector that changed it from 20 to 21, so I'd guess @Obsidian missed it... Or something has become un-joined again. Seems like the latest iterations of Doom Builder are a bit too clever...

@Horus Thanks for playing! I hope you had fun!

Otsegolectric – @4MaTC – 13:55 (UV): This one was really difficult, but I pulled through in the end. The cybers were well placed such that the player never really feels comfortable. The vast majority of the map is pretty well done, the only underwhelming piece was the fact that the YK door simply unveiled a switch and you had to backtrack back through the book maze without any new monsters

I guess i could add some teleport or closet trap in library room, but at that moment i was sure 10 sectors was limit, so map has 10 sectors. After we solved that misunderstanding i've decided it's too late to change layout and was too tired from marble textures.

But overall you played map as by rails, as i suppose it to be played.

And i'm taking my hat off for the first try you reach that secret area, i thought it's gonna be harder (=

Re-refueling Base – @4MaTC – 1:15:55 (UV): Note to self: 4MaTC makes hard maps! Think I’m going to play their third map on HMP, because although I managed to finish the map, it was really difficult. The homage is clear, but it retains enough of its own identity and nuance to retain interest. This map is difficult trap after difficult trap after difficult trap, never are you ‘comfortable’. Nonetheless, for the most part it is a well constructed map. The exception being towards the end. There were two doors that weren’t lower unpegged (1:36:00 and 1:39:00). The ‘explosive’ chaingunner switch trap was BS, if you don’t have the right weapon immediately equipped you’re toast. Then I heard the Romero head being damaged once, and then killed, which triggered at the end of the map. Not sure if it ended how it was supposed to but it was very confusing.

Somewhere on this forum i've read post something like 'why UV is default skill?' and decided - if you dare to play UV it should be at least challenging and little bit painful, and not just default skill, but my maps are finely (what a self-confident word) balanced for UV.

I like how you missed two out of three secrets:

Spoiler

first when you lowered the lift in dark area, and second on 1:28:50

Romero's head is the way you exit the level, i thought player would look thru the window to watch how cyberdemon get squished and it would end the level, but without ACS i can't find another way but killing Romero's head.
Those not lower unpegged doors is surely my oversight, if @Obsidian will allow, i'll fix it.

Thanks for the video and feedback, Horus!

Also, I see that the weapons spawn used for DM are present in SP campaign too, that's odd... Going to fixing out the bugs when possible...

1 hour ago, 4MaTC said:

Those not lower unpegged doors is surely my oversight, if @Obsidian will allow, i'll fix it.

Go for it, my dude. :)

4 hours ago, Horus said:

- @Dragonfly's map has 22 sectors

Two water sectors in the western side of the map had become unjoined, oops!

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4z530znrs2laeh/DFMAY20.wad?dl=1

Changelog:

- Rejoined sectors to bring the count to 20 as intended.
- Northern secret is no longer inescapable.

- Updated monster ambush flag settings for slightly better encounters.

- Changed northern secret reward from Blue Armor to Super Shotgun.

- Southern secret now has a different encounter.

- Moved a couple of crates to improve the flow during the final encounter.

- Performed automap cleanup.

- Reworked the DM starts and added MP items.

- Added weapons that you normally pick up from monsters with Multiplayer Only flags so they're available on coop for all.

Quite the mix bag of maps, looks excellent. If possible, a combines wad would be amazing in multiplayer. I did really really quick peak at these with ZDaemon. Couple of things I noticed, In was A, map08 has visible voodoo dolls at the start. In wad B, I had to rebuild nodes with zdbsp to be able to load map04 in ZDaemon. I will try do a proper run through over the next few days or so.

Thanks for the video playthrough, @Horus! I noticed you having to change the volumes around, I wonder if that MIDI is a bit on the loud side compared to everything else. Also I wondered if I should change that blue skull switch so that it's visible from the ground level, though it didn't take you too long to find it the second time around.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:09 PM, Argent Agent said:

How'd that get by me? Guess that's what I get for only testing UV. Fixed! Also removed some monsters from Easy skills (Wait until you see multiplayer on UV and above).

M2020_ArgentAgent_SleepingGiants_V2.zip

Thanks for the update! I tried the map again on ITYTD and with a bit of save scumming I actually managed to beat the map now. With all monsters killed.  :)

One thing that I noticed is that the sky is displayed as a checkerboard, running the latest MAY20_1.0 - B.wad in GZDoom 4.3.3.

Knowing that some of the maps are quite challenging, I started playing the B wad on ITYTD.

@Scorpius "A touch of evil" (ITYTD)
This map has pretty solid gameplay and also looks quite good. The sectors and textures work nicely together to create a hellish atmosphere.

@blinds1ght "Toxic Waltz" (ITYTD)
It's not bad, as it plays OK. But it's quite short and linear, and therefore just not as good as most of the other maps that I've seen so far.

@TheV1perK1ller "Daybreak station" (ITYTD)
This is definitly my kind of map, in many ways! Visually very attractive with some nice attention to detail. There is plenty of action, but it is not overly difficult. I appreciate the visual hints on the auto map, otherwise I would have had a hard time to spot the two secrets.

Edited by Arno

Silent Starlight - @dac - 00:00 (UV) - Great map, I loved this one! Aesthetically it was interesting, and resources and combat were finely poised - I literally had just enough to max the map at the end. Leaving out the RL/plasma definitely suited this map I think. Only thing I wasn't keen on was the blocking of the way out of the BK area with two hell knights, I suppose I could have stayed to try and kill the mancubi but at my health level that was going to be a tall order.

Solitude Denied - Me - 18:55 (UV) - I decided to try (and fail) to beat my own map without dying. I get all the secrets in this playthrough, but only at the end once the three subsections are cleared. 10/10 map would play again :-P

The Running of the Bulls - @Bauul - 28:45 (UV) - A fantastic idea, necessitating a non-linear map layout which for this map generally is. The problem I have is that some of the key areas are very small and boxed in and have only one point of entry and exit, meaning you can unintentionally get into positions that are almost impossible, perhaps actually impossible, to get out of. I thought I was going to need to use IDDQD at one point, it was only through sheer luck and perseverance that I didn't. The other issue I have is that you provide a plasma gun at the end rather than the BFG. Had you presented the BFG I would have stuck around to kill the cybers and max the map, with a plasma gun it's too grindy to bother.

Edge of Twilight - @Revenant - 39:35 (UV) - This was a fun non-linear romp, I especially enjoyed the opening half. Unfortunately after triggering the BK switch, if you miss the box of shells you're permanently cut off from it, which made ammo more difficult for me than it needed to be

P.S. Maps 25 & 27 are skipped as I already played, recorded and gave feedback to the mappers for these

23 hours ago, TheV1perK1ller said:

I am pretty sure that the second Pcorf community project (2048 Unleashed) had accomplished the exact same thing (that WAD also had 49 maps). I reckon it would be a viable option here as well.

Either that or something REALLY off the beaten path: have a secret mapset instead of a secret map. :D

Probably not, but it'd be crazy to find a hidden detour to a whole other series of maps.

11 hours ago, Arno said:

@TheV1perK1ller "Daybreak station" (ITYTD)
This is definitly my kind of map, in many ways! Visually very attractive with some nice attention to detail. There is plenty of action, but it is not overly difficult. I appreciate the visual hints on the auto map, otherwise I would have had a hard time to spot the two secrets.

Thank you for the feedback! The higher difficulties include quite a few additional enemies, and it can be easy for the player to become trapped between a rock and a hard place if they are not too careful. The automap hints came about for the exact reason you specified; they are difficult to locate. I guess in a roundabout way, the mechanic was inspired by the newer Doom games. :)

Ok i decided to fix the thing that @Horus pointed out with the lights, i was hesitant on releasing the fix of the lights mostly for the fact that i could wait for more feedback on it, but seeing there isn't much i guess i can release without issue.

RedMAY2020.zip

Changelog:

Fixed the lights, now they feel like small colons instead of Bad Midtextures

18 hours ago, Horus said:

The Running of the Bulls - @Bauul - 28:45 (UV) - A fantastic idea, necessitating a non-linear map layout which for this map generally is. The problem I have is that some of the key areas are very small and boxed in and have only one point of entry and exit, meaning you can unintentionally get into positions that are almost impossible, perhaps actually impossible, to get out of. I thought I was going to need to use IDDQD at one point, it was only through sheer luck and perseverance that I didn't. The other issue I have is that you provide a plasma gun at the end rather than the BFG. Had you presented the BFG I would have stuck around to kill the cybers and max the map, with a plasma gun it's too grindy to bother.

Thanks for the play-through!

Having areas that are only one-way-in-and-out is entirely deliberate.  It means you have to be conscious of luring the enemies away from them and then run in and run out as fast as possible.  If you don't, it's almost certain death.  I think you got particularly caught up in them because you always seemed to save immediately after picking up a key, which in this map can be a really bad idea if you haven't ensured the way out is clear.   Generally speaking it's usually not a good idea to save your game when trapped in a small room with a Cyberdemon blocking your only escape. ;)

Re: the Plasma Rifle, in tight maps like this I personally find it more reliable than the BFG for Cybs.  It's too easy to have the tracers caught on geometry and blow through all your cells on repeated shots.  Plus, for continuous players I didn't want to necessarily mean the next map could be started with 600 cells and a BFG to hand.

@4MaTC Looks like you missed the attachment for your updated maps (not anymore :P)

@Bauul Fair point on the strategy. Regarding continuous play, plasma gun + 600 cells would also likely break continuous play. From that perspective this map might work as an episode-ender with a death exit, at the same time, the map would have its own benefits being a forced pistol start.

Cokey-Nuts - @Impie - 00:00 (UV): Interesting map, another one of those 'keep the cyber alive for a while' type of maps. The low amount of plasma ammo finally incentivised me to try and practice two-shotting cybers. Shells & bullets were plentiful, with just the right amount of rockets imo. 

Cemetery Lapdanse - @Impie - 11:50 (UV): Probably my favourite of the Impie maps, I really appreciated the attention to detail as to the theming here. Also one of the very few maps where I think the usage of Wolf SS actually worked well. I was one monster short at the end, but as I used IDDT incorrectly, I couldn't work out if it was a bug or if I didn't pay close enough attention and there was still a monster roaming the playable confines of the map. The blue key switch/door isn't marked with any blue key textures

Sea of Blood - @sajbear666 - 21:25 (UV): And a great thing about community projects is that the best levels don't always come in the expected places, a new mapper (presumably, going by registration date) delivers a wonderful map that together with RJD's and dac's map rounds out my top three of the MAYhem 2020 'A' mapset. Monster placement in the opening area was excellent and constantly forced you on the move. The revenant trap for the RK was nice and sneaky, if a bit too easy to escape. The final battle could perhaps be too easily cheesed, but it would have been too difficult staying in the ambush area anyway, and the revenants and mancubi still mean the battle retains some difficulty.

Bug: One of the secrets doesn't trigger on prBoom+ (the one where you hit the switch to make platforms rise out of the blood). I have no idea why this is, and I would be interested to find out. Two things I did notice:
- I tried it in GZDoom and noticed it triggered correctly on that port
- If you pass the sector from inside the blood pool before triggering the switch that raises the sector heights, then the secret is triggered even in prBoom+

Edited by Horus

@dac Sorry if someone else already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the blue key in your map has the "Not Cooperative" flag set, so it's not possible to get very far into the map in coop.

11 minutes ago, Revenant said:

@dac Sorry if someone else already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the blue key in your map has the "Not Cooperative" flag set, so it's not possible to get very far into the map in coop.

Don't remember it being mentioned, but yeah, copypaste mistake. Also all the lost souls were set to "Not coop" too, fixed that while I'm at it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jj7irx8pz2jt4wn/MAY20DAC_v1-1.zip?dl=0

On 6/13/2020 at 1:00 AM, Horus said:

Silent Starlight - @dac - 00:00 (UV) - Great map, I loved this one! Aesthetically it was interesting, and resources and combat were finely poised - I literally had just enough to max the map at the end. Leaving out the RL/plasma definitely suited this map I think. Only thing I wasn't keen on was the blocking of the way out of the BK area with two hell knights, I suppose I could have stayed to try and kill the mancubi but at my health level that was going to be a tall order.

First of all, fun part: that makes two playthrough I've seen where the player sees the secret switch but doesn't press it, completes the entire level without it then realise the secret was right there all along. And I thought it was too obvious making it, but there's a gamedev proverb about that situation for a reason!

Otherwise reading your comments and your most recent post... They made my entire month, but they're also a lot to take in. Not in any bad ways though - it's just, of all the times I tried my hand at mapping in the past, of the times I actually succeeded at releasing a map, participating in a community project, self-nitpicking all the ways I could have made the map better if I had more time, more experience, more talent... being told that what I made is good, not for encouragement but genuinely so, is a weird fuzzy feeling. Being told that what I made is a top tier map comparing favourably to the contributions of people with years if not an entire decade more experience, people I look up to, or outright Cacowards winners?

Can't say that's a scenario I ever dreamed of. I might ass some more shells in a v1.2 so ammo isn't too starved, especially if the vile gets out of control, but that's just the self-nitpicking rearing its ugly head after seeing a few playthroughs. Once again, thanks for the words.

2 hours ago, dac said:

Otherwise reading your comments and your most recent post... They made my entire month, but they're also a lot to take in. Not in any bad ways though - it's just, of all the times I tried my hand at mapping in the past, of the times I actually succeeded at releasing a map, participating in a community project, self-nitpicking all the ways I could have made the map better if I had more time, more experience, more talent... being told that what I made is good, not for encouragement but genuinely so, is a weird fuzzy feeling. Being told that what I made is a top tier map comparing favourably to the contributions of people with years if not an entire decade more experience, people I look up to, or outright Cacowards winners?

Hey mate, just be positive - you got your map released and people that actually played it - regardless of their thoughts, you will learn and improve. It's not like people here will bite you for a map with questionable design philosophies.

A Touch of Evil - @Scorpius - 00:00 (UV) - aka Perfect Sheol :P The homages to E4M2 and E5M2 are clear, but Scorpius's own identity is clear to see too. I'm a sucker for atmospheric maps, and this map certainly delivers in that respect. Combat was engaging too. A few things, none of which detract that much from what I thought was an excellent map:
- A touch more health would be nice. I know I was a fool for playing on with 2% health (check the thumbnail heh :P), but it took me a long time before I actually found any health to bring me up from that level. Nothing major, a medikit or something round by where the HKs/lost souls are would be nice
- I thought the two skinwall areas were a bit too symmetrical

- The secret gave me a BFG and I had tons of plasma, but given the geometry of the map I could only think of two places where it would be useful: the archvile and the two revenants that spawn at the start. So I think the map has too much plasma ammo

Toxic Waltz - @blinds1ght - 19:45 (UV) - This is certainly a unique map compared to the others in the set. It relies heavily on infighting which I can see being divisive for some, but it's made very clear from the start that that's the required strategy. The map's series of challenge encounters give it a kind of 'casual Sunlust' vibe. I really enjoyed it, a bit of a shame I unintentionally stepped through the teleporter before I was done with the last fight (it would have been nice to provide a way back), but oh well.

Daybreak Station - @TheV1perK1ller - 28:05 (UV) - Probably the most detailed of all the maps I've played in MAYhem 2020 so far, really good job on that front. I think this map is at its strongest at the start and finish, the middle suffers a bit from a lack of ammo, meaning I needed to berserk quite frequently. Which may be fine on GZDoom, but this is a Boom mapset so the hitboxes are far more unforgiving. Unfortunately I did not manage to reach the secret outdoor area (which looked great btw), even though I picked up on a visual cue :( Is the small lone grassy area to the south of the map meant to be accessible? If it isn't, tagging it as secret is a bit confusing because it gives the impression that it is accessible

@TheV1perK1ller One thing I realized playing your map in coop - it's easy to get stuck in coop if you die and respawn after activating the blue key switch, since the barriers that appear completely block off all of the player starts. It might be a good idea to add lift triggers to the other side of them or something.

Another minor update for my entry. DaybreakStation_v1.5.zip

Changelog found under spoiler.

Spoiler

++ Removed the southern inaccessible outdoors area in favour of a second ammo cache, additional ammo drops and health / armour can now be found. Thanks @Horus for the playthrough.

++ The back sides of all bars that rise when initiating the arena battle can now be lowered like a lift (for co-op compatibility). Thanks for pointing it out @Revenant. Also, the MIDSKULL textures found nearing the end can now be 'used' as a teleporter that takes the player back to the maps eastern side (in case the yellow switch is activated whilst the aforementioned bars are lowered, thus preventing entry back to those areas).

++ A handful of monsters have been added across all difficulties (mainly Imps and Zombies) to compensate for the increased ammo.

+ Even more minor aesthetical changes, mainly in decorations.

+ Slightly enlarged secret area indicators on automap (still requires computer map to make visible). 

+ D1SKY4 has now changed to BAUSKY08 (personal preference).

+ MIDI change: The music is now a midi rendition of 'The Hive' by In Flames. It can be found here.

Edited by TheV1perK1ller

Some changes to my map:

touchofevil-v21.zip

Changelog:

Spoiler

+ Revamped southwest area for general gameplay tweaks.

+ Replaced buttons from raising stairs to raising bridges to the stairs.

* Fixed chaingunner in northwest area getting stuck for seemingly no reason.

* Fixed weapons and health layouts (thanks to @Horus for health suggestion)

- Removed most openings with decorations that blocks your shots.

- Removed BFG9000 from unmarked secret.

And some other small changes that aren't noteworthy. :)

Edited by Scorpius

Yeah, I would recommend that you not make too many sweeping changes: after May your updates should mostly consist of bugfixing and gameplay tweaks. Remaking entire areas falls a bit out of that purview, unless of course that area is hostile to co-op play or has some serious bugs.

Oops, I've changed the file in my last post to a new hotfix version. Basically I reverted the "reworked" area back to its original somewhat but left the rest as they don't really impact gameplay or anything.

On 5/27/2020 at 1:21 PM, Aurelius said:

If you feel uneasy playing the map, then I've achieved my goal. It's not supposed to be unfun, mind you, but disturbing in a satisfying way

Halo of Flies - @Aurelius - 00:00 (HMP): I quote the above just to say - mission accomplished! After the hour I spent playing this map, I wasn't quite sure what to think about it lol. Hope you find the video useful. The encounters were generally enjoyable, it was an incredible effort to make such a long map with the sectors available without it feeling stale or overly long. There were a number of things that you could question in this map, but two come to mind:
- Signalling mandatory progression with a no-entry sign is just kind of annoying. I mean I worked it out eventually via a process of elimination, but when I saw it at first I naturally took it to mean 'don't go here'

- The ending blood platform has mandatory straferunning progression. Should we assume all players of this mapset are familiar with speedrunning techniques? Given that classic Doom continues to get new players all the time, I wouldn't necessarily assume so. Not that I am saying you should necessarily change it, just something to consider

Edited by Horus

Based on Horus' video, I made two minimal changes. It should load along beta A wad because of the resources.

>> DOWNLOAD FOR FREE NOW!! <<

- Shortened the timer for the exit.

- Few HMP monsters appear on HNTR too. 

- Teleport in secret takes you back to the first part, not under a crusher where you could be stuck.

That's it, depending on where the map is gonna end up, I think I can fit in a death exit so it doesn't "ruin" the start of the next map. And you know, the alternative exit could be a good candidate for 15>31 or 31>32 ... (; (; (;