Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem: 2020 Edition - On Idgames!

15 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Still welcoming feedback on the map order: I'll likely put up the next beta over the next day or so for the sake of keeping momentum rolling, so if you have any thoughts then now's the time to share them. I'm also open to potential INTERPIC candidates: as funny as it would be to have the placeholder in the final release, a proper INTERPIC would be ultimately preferable.

Any ideas? I know where is 'brush' in PS, i can draw something =)

Putting in a new version:

- Added more ammo in the upper areas. It should still be tight, but give you some more leeway to deal with that awkward final fight.

- Modified ammo distribution in the red key room - big ammo packs should be directly accessible, while small ammo and medkits are in the alcoves now.

- Fixed a few small armour set to Multiplayer Only when they shouldn't be (In MP these are full armours).

Probably got room for one final version (maybe more ammo, coop balancing) but this should be good for the second beta.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg9dxri5q6qnpwp/MAY20DAC_v1-2.zip?dl=0

Fleshipice - @Kapanyo - 00:00 (UV) - Aesthetically this is a beautiful, imposing and atmospheric map. And for the most part the gameplay is pretty neat too. The only strange thing to me is the provision of an invuln sphere and so much BFG ammo at the start, it was kind of overkill relative to the threat of the first encounter, so I deliberately decided to leave the invuln and conserve BFG ammo in case it came in useful later (in the end, I used them for the cyber). Even so, I really enjoyed this map

Bug: An imp got stuck at 02:00

Field Trip - @joe-ilya - 15:50 (UV) - A short map (no bad thing in a set that has a surprising amount of long maps) that is nice simple fun, the combat is engaging and has a fair amount of bite. The only thing that looked odd to me was the strange sector height drop at 22:10, it just looked unnatural.

Hole in the Net - @Worm318 - 23:20 (UV) - The gimmick itself on this map was an interesting one, even if it didn't necessarily lead to the best gameplay in my view. It was fun clearing out all those imps once I got the plasma gun though. 

The Scar - @Xaser - 36:35 (UV) - This map is a masterpiece. Visually it looks great, and without microdetailing or excessive use of different texture types either. It already starts decently hard thanks to the PEs but only gets harder. The revenant-pinky-chaingunner battle triggered by the BK/blue armor was not only my favourite gameplay encounter of this mapset, it is one of my favourites in any mapset. It just works so well with the combination of area denial from the demons, mobility requirements of the revenants (and the height differential meaning the two don't really infight), and the chaingunners to keep you on your toes when you try to restock ammo/health, combined with the narrow but multi-pathed geometry of the map.

After that, things start getting a bit too hard for me, but I got there in the end (I didn't finish it in this video, there's a second video where I finish it off). Not killing all the enemies before entering the YK room probably made things worse for me. But I still enjoyed myself.

I do have one gripe though, which was infinite height issues after collecting the BFG secret, blood inlets either side of the gravel made it hard to drop down without taking mandatory damage 

The Scar - Xaser - 00:00 (UV) - I finish off the map

Panopticon - @Solmyr - 14:30 (UV) - A very short map (again, welcome after the behemoth of the previous map lol), from which the main challenge comes from the cyber and the limited manoeuvrability. Wasn't a huge fan of the barrels hidden behind a fake wall, but otherwise no qualms

The Most Sadistic - @sergeirocks100 - 20:30 (UV) - Unfortunately a map that sticks out for the wrong reasons, there are a number of design errors here:
- Most importantly, the map must not have been tested in the targeted source port (prBoom+) because there is a SR Lift Lower Wait Raise action not assigned to any sector. This will work in GZDoom but in prBoom+ (to resolve this, you need to give that sector a tag and assign the SR Lift Lower Wait Raise action to that tag). Meaning that I got softlocked multiple times in the grassy hitscanner area
- The sides of all the doors don't have the Lower Unpegged option ticked, meaning they look strange when opening

- The six baron setpiece will be skipped, as the player has a clear path to continue unblocked, and killing six barons with the SSG is tedious

- The switch triggers a dropdown to a load of hitscanners with zero immediate cover and no health, meaning that any player starting that section with low health is screwed and there's nothing they can do but restart the level (which at least is short)

- The cage midtex area only has enemies populated on HNTR (imps) and HMP (hell knights), so on UV there are no enemies. Also loads of hell knights in that room is not a great choice because it would be an incredible grind for anyone wanting to max the map, unless you added a switch-activated crusher to their sector

- Sector 19 (with Tag 11 assigned) is operated by a S1 Lift Lower Wait Raise action. This means that if the player activates it and then doesn't use it (as I did in my playthrough), they are softlocked, as they cannot operate the lift again. This action should be changed to SR Lift Lower Wait Raise

- There are texture cutoffs and misalignments (most notably in the opening room and above the exit sign). With these addressed, I think the opening hitscanner area would look decent

On 6/1/2020 at 5:41 AM, ❄ Mary ❄ said:

I am still amazed at what I have done with just 20 sectors

The Three Towers - Mary - 00:00 (UV) - Well you are right you did a lot with the 20 sectors, it is certainly impressive on that front and a lot of effort must have gone into it. In terms of gameplay, let's just say it was unfortunate, because in the room after the first teleport there is a left fork when you can continue progression of the map, and a right fork which contains the SSG which isn't provided anywhere else. I chose the left fork, meaning that I played almost the whole map without the SSG (and I couldn't find a rocket launcher in this map either). Meaning that the gameplay was far more a tedious grind than it should have been, which is a shame because I would undoubtedly have enjoyed the map a lot more if I had 'chosen correctly' and got the SSG when it was available. Basically, if you have a weapon that's central to the enjoyment of the map, please make sure you put it in somewhere the player can't miss, rather than leaving it to 50-50 chance. 

Overall: Wow, quite a bunch of maps we have here! My favourites from mapset B are Xaser's, Scorpius's and Kapanyo's maps.

Edited by Horus

22 minutes ago, Horus said:

The Scar - Xaser - 00:00 (UV) - I finish off the map

Panopticon - @Solmyr - 14:30 (UV) - A very short map (again, welcome after the behemoth of the previous map lol), from which the main challenge comes from the cyber and the limited manoeuvrability. Wasn't a huge fan of the barrels hidden behind a fake wall, but otherwise no qualms

The Most Sadistic - @sergeirocks100 - 20:30 (UV) - Unfortunately a map that sticks out for the wrong reasons, there are a number of design errors here:
- Most importantly, the map must not have been tested in the targeted source port (prBoom+) because there is a SR Lift Lower Wait Raise action not assigned to any sector. This will work in GZDoom but in prBoom+ (to resolve this, you need to give that sector a tag and assign the SR Lift Lower Wait Raise action to that tag). Meaning that I got softlocked multiple times in the grassy hitscanner area
- The sides of all the doors don't have the Lower Unpegged option ticked, meaning they look strange when opening

- The six baron setpiece will be skipped, as the player has a clear path to continue unblocked, and killing six barons with the SSG is tedious

- The switch triggers a dropdown to a load of hitscanners with zero immediate cover and no health, meaning that any player starting that section with low health is screwed and there's nothing they can do but restart the level (which at least is short)

- The cage midtex area only has enemies populated on HNTR (imps) and HMP (hell knights), so on UV there are no enemies. Also loads of hell knights in that room is not a great choice because it would be an incredible grind for anyone wanting to max the map, unless you added a switch-activated crusher to their sector

- Sector 19 (with Tag 11 assigned) is operated by a S1 Lift Lower Wait Raise action. This means that if the player activates it and then doesn't use it (as I did in my playthrough), they are softlocked, as they cannot operate the lift again. This action should be changed to SR Lift Lower Wait Raise

- There are texture cutoffs and misalignments (most notably in the opening room and above the exit sign). With these addressed, I think the opening hitscanner area would look decent

a updated version of the map that deals with most of the issues you pointed out is here, although i was unable to fix the misaligned textures on top of the exit sign

5 hours ago, 4MaTC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

TITLEPIC.png

TTL2.png

MADSKILLZ!

Okay, this gave me a chuckle. :P

@Obsidian I would like to make an update to my map, but it's so small that it's probably more efficient for you if I tell you what I want to do and you add it your side. Basically I want to add the two selected radsuits to the map, for all difficulties but multiplayer-only (screenshot in spoiler)

Spoiler

560685650_solitudedenied_v4at2020_06.1914-09-13.383R3499.jpg.40ae013841010cf937e8a2595745518e.jpg

@Horus Glad you enjoyed Scar! I had a lot of fun making the pinky+rev+chaingunner scene -- was worried it was gonna be universally loathed due to how evil it is, though. :P

I guess I'm a bit overdue for a map update (gotta add skills and pay some bills) -- @Obsidian, if this is going in the MAP28 slot (or anything other than 15/31), should I go ahead and remove the secret exit?

@Horus Yep, I can do that for you.

@Xaser I'd suggest re-purposing it over just outright removing it: maybe it could be a regular secret or an easter egg?

Progress is being made on MAYhem beta 1.1: with any luck I should have it up and running by tomorrow. Still welcoming thoughts on map order, as well as some of the graphics: I'm kiiiiinda leaning towards using 4MaTC's first INTERPIC candidate, but I'd be keen to hear other opinions.

Made a third update, probably will be the last update for this map unless anything else crops up:

-Fixed the lack of a sky from V2 (using Galileo's green sky)
-Fixed a graphical bug with one of the fences (just completely replaced the damn thing)
-Fixed a few areas that were supposed to have a roof texture
-Flagged a few items as multiplayer
-Marked the pillar that has the yellow key so it's more obvious initially as to where the key is

M2020_ArgentAgent_SleepingGiants_V3.zip

@Obsidian Here's another one:

Spoiler

titlepic1.png

Had some problem with palette in slade (greenish middle levels) but i'll try to do something a little bit later.

Edit: another one, fixed palette glitch

Spoiler

titlepic2.png

Edited by 4MaTC

Diggin' it! Could make a really nice INTERPIC.

Out of curiosity, do you have a full-size version of the picture on the computer screens on your previous submissions?

6 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Diggin' it! Could make a really nice INTERPIC.

Out of curiosity, do you have a full-size version of the picture on the computer screens on your previous submissions?

You mean with the romero and old ibm pc?

3 minutes ago, 4MaTC said:

You mean with the romero and old ibm pc?

Yeah, that one.

2 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Yeah, that one.

Did'nt saved it, but here is a reworked (almost the same)

Spoiler

1244294280d5dbea2.jpg

37 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

@4MaTC Shit, sorry, I meant what's on his screen! The 10Sector.wad TITLEPIC lookalike. X(

Spoiler

20sec.png

Hi!! There is something I don't understand about my map's name. Here is called Tai Tenga's Core instead of Tei Tenga's Core 

I'm not asking it to change it, don't get me wrong, please. 

I'm interested why it has this name now... 

Regards. 

On 6/12/2020 at 1:25 PM, Arno said:

@blinds1ght "Toxic Waltz" (ITYTD)

It's not bad, as it plays OK. But it's quite short and linear, and therefore just not as good as most of the other maps that I've seen so far. 

@Arno I appreciate the honest feedback and completely understand. I'll aim for something more substantial if I get around to working on other maps. I already have some ideas. :)

On 6/14/2020 at 9:47 AM, Horus said:

Toxic Waltz - @blinds1ght - 19:45 (UV) - This is certainly a unique map compared to the others in the set. It relies heavily on infighting which I can see being divisive for some, but it's made very clear from the start that that's the required strategy. The map's series of challenge encounters give it a kind of 'casual Sunlust' vibe. I really enjoyed it, a bit of a shame I unintentionally stepped through the teleporter before I was done with the last fight (it would have been nice to provide a way back), but oh well. 

@Horus Thanks for the feedback and playthrough video! It's so cool seeing someone else play something I made. I was glad to see that you didn't run into any issues (outside of the final teleporter - sorry about that).

@Obsidian Thanks for organizing this! It's really awesome seeing everything finally come together. The 20 sector limit was the perfect limitation for a beginner, though I must say that I'm amazed at what some of you were able to pull off in spite of this. By the way, I noticed that my map in the beta was using a midi from a previous release. I had since settled on "Alice" from http://jamespaddockmusic.com/midi-files/Doom Projects/Complete/Sigil/. If it's too much of a hassle, though, don't worry about it.