Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem: 2020 Edition - On Idgames!

Finally, my map here ended, I am still amazed at what I have done with just 20 sectors. Um, I added some new textures at the last minute based on the texture pack, a thousand apologies if I didn't ask before to add them

The Three Towers.wad

I wanted to add another map, but I'm unable to fishing it now. I'm out of time. 

Anyways, thanks a lot. 

39 minutes ago, ❄ Mary ❄ said:

Um, I added some new textures at the last minute based on the texture pack, a thousand apologies if I didn't ask before to add them

What's puzzling is that the majority of them seem to be essentially composites made into their own textures: I established from the getgo that composites didn't need permission and yet you made custom textures out of them instead? It's got me scratching my head, not gonna lie: is there a reason why they need to be textures or is it just a case of not being familiar with composites?

Wow that's a lot of maps!

FYI the link on my one from the first page is broken as I since updated it to a v3

9 hours ago, Obsidian said:

What's puzzling is that the majority of them seem to be essentially composites made into their own textures: I established from the getgo that composites didn't need permission and yet you made custom textures out of them instead? It's got me scratching my head, not gonna lie: is there a reason why they need to be textures or is it just a case of not being familiar with composites?

Hmm, I'm not very familiar with creating textures from patches but almost all textures that seem to be made from Texturex, originally if I made them from there

This morning i had a couple of problems and to avoid being more confused than i was at the time, I had to do them from the outside

But I could do them again from Texturex, it's just that I was very confused and tired at the time

@Horus Good catch! I'll update the OP.

1 hour ago, ❄ Mary ❄ said:

Hmm, I'm not very familiar with creating textures from patches but almost all textures that seem to be made from Texturex, originally if I made them from there

This morning i had a couple of problems and to avoid being more confused than i was at the time, I had to do them from the outside

But I could do them again from Texturex, it's just that I was very confused and tired at the time

I remade the ones that I could manage using composites, so all's well that ends well. :)

It's time to play some of the other maps!

I played with GZDoom 4.3.3.

@Solmyr "Panopticon" (ITYTD)
Overall this was a fun map. On the plus side, the starting area clearly shows the central gameplay mechanic of this map, which remains consistent throughout. On the downside, it is quite linear. One small thing: I think the first two raising platforms towards the cyb have the wrong ceiling texture.

@sergeirocks100 "mhm2" (ITYTD)
I wonder, when I grab the yellow key, how do I get back up to the area with the yellow door?
I think the map can be improved by putting at least two types of monsters in the crowd near the yellow key to enable some infighting. Also, some areas could be made a bit darker, as currently all sectors have the same brightness.

@❄ Mary ❄ "The Three Towers (ITYTD)
A massive map with some very nice visuals and creative use of textures! I forgot at some point that it was made out of only 20 sectors. I regret that so far I couldn't reach the exit yet. After playing it for about half an hour I got a bit lost and I couldn't get rid of the mancubi without falling into the pit a lot. I blame my poor skills.

7 hours ago, Arno said:

@sergeirocks100 "mhm2" (ITYTD)
I wonder, when I grab the yellow key, how do I get back up to the area with the yellow door?
I think the map can be improved by putting at least two types of monsters in the crowd near the yellow key to enable some infighting. Also, some areas could be made a bit darker, as currently all sectors have the same brightness.

i realized what i had done wrong right after i submitted the map, i will go ahead and submit an updated version of the map where you can actually complete it, although i'm not sure if i could under the rules of the contest

2 minutes ago, sergeirocks100 said:

i realized what i had done wrong right after i submitted the map, i will go ahead and submit an updated version of the map where you can actually complete it, although i'm not sure if i could under the rules of the contest

So long as the changes aren't too extensive, it's okay to update your submission.

Alright, srs bsns time.

• @Kapanyo and @sergeirocks100, I require map names for your respective maps.
  • @DynamiteKaitorn, @Scorpius, @Hawns Braks and ❄ Mary ❄ (the symbols in your name don't let me mention you and it's actually rather annoying), I need some music credits for the MIDIs you used in your submissions.
  • @DavidN, @Snikle, @NaturalTvventy and @sergeirocks100, your maps don't actually have any music at all: if you could either update your submissions with music or direct me to a MIDI that you wish to use in your map, that'd be excellent. As above, music credits would be very much appreciated.

18 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Alright, srs bsns time.

• @DynamiteKaitorn, @Scorpius, @Hawns Braks and ❄ Mary ❄ (the symbols in your name don't let me mention you and it's actually rather annoying), I need some music credits for the MIDIs you used in your submissions.
  • @DavidN, @Snikle, @NaturalTvventy and @sergeirocks100, your maps don't actually have any music at all: if you could either update your submissions with music or direct me to a MIDI that you wish to use in your map, that'd be excellent. As above, music credits would be very much appreciated.

i didn't think to give it a name, i'll go ahead and name it The Most Sadistic, after the Necro song of the same name, i have no clue what MIDI i would use, you can use this MIDI i ripped from Nerves Of Steel

Nos3.zip

Edited by sergeirocks100

1 hour ago, Obsidian said:
  • @DynamiteKaitorn@Scorpius, @Hawns Braks and ❄ Mary ❄ (the symbols in your name don't let me mention you and it's actually rather annoying), I need some music credits for the MIDIs you used in your submissions.

Ah, right I forgot about that. It's Gate of the Ancients from Stonekeep (I believe it's by Brian Luzietti).

Guest Unregistered account

I'll call mine Fleshipice

3 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Alright, srs bsns time.

Oh i just used a vanilla track, D_E1M6 - Central Processing

7 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Alright, srs bsns time.

You can never go wrong with MetallicA’s Orion midi. I’m a bit displaced due to social unrest so I can’t hunt it down directly but feel free to pull it from Awakening. https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/a-c/aaawake

An update to Halo of Flies.

Changes:

- Added more line teleports out of the death pits. There's still a couple of instances where I didn't want to put them, and the ones that are there can sometimes require a tiny bit of effort to find.

- Adjusted an AV closet to prevent them from not activating.

- Fixed a few minor issues here and there.

15 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Well, the text CREDITS inside the wad is supposed to show who was the one who made the midi but anyway.
It's the music of Gravity Beetle Stage in Mega Man X3
link where I found it: http://shuiying.myds.me:8000/midi/file/ad750be1fd9177f84e034f7b9226a190.html

@Zergeant "Dens at night" (HMP)
Nice looking map with a consistent theme and lots of corners to explore. Although there's lots of brown everywhere, I had no problems in finding my way, as each building has a different shape and details. I appreciate the fact that, despite the lack of official secrets, there were some items a bit more hidden. At first I completed the map on ITYTD, which felt like a walk in the park. There was plenty of room to maneuver and an overabundance of ammo and health. But IMO that's quite alright for the lowest difficulty level. Then I replayed the map on HMP. I certainly died quite a bit more often, but it was still a fair challenge. There was more than sufficient health and ammo available. Overall a highly enjoyable map.

@Gerardo194 "Tei Tenga's Core" (HMP)
I like the non-linearity of this map and how the windows can be used to snipe a wide varity of monsters. For me personally I found the map quite challenging. The main reason why I managed to complete the map on HMP is because I could occasionally backtrack to collect more ammo and health, of which there is absolutely no shortage. Overall the map offered me an enjoyable challenge as well.

Edited by Arno

I spend some time cleaning up a couple of textures / sectors and trying to have some people playtest my map in the discords. It still needs some tweaks with the amount of health and ammo for multiplayer/coop but its all pretty minor. 

Will upload a new version soon (probably tomorrow) with a readme as well. 

Just to allay any fears of things going dead at the 13th hour: the compilation is still coming! Once Hawns Braks uploads his update I'll add it to the first beta and release it, so if there's any stuff in your maps you've been neglecting I'd recommend you hop to it. I also still need a MIDI from @Snikle and I think I forgot to ask @Kapanyo about what MIDI they used.

Guest Unregistered account

The MIDI I used is "Flight Of The Zinger" from Donkey Kong Country 2, sourced from VGMusic and edited to loop better