Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

RAVEN MIDI Pack project - COMPLETE.

Guess that the final product will be pretty nice and, I'm sure that I'll use it for any Heretic maps

On 5/2/2020 at 5:30 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

I could've sworn I heard this in Heretic before. Great job imitating style.

It does borrow part of a pretty iconic Heretic riff. (Not saying that's a bad thing!)

@AD_79 and @Eris Falling: it was said on Discord already but these are very awesome. Thank you heaps for the contributions!

Two done! Keep 'em coming, folks!

...I still need to claim some slots for myself, huh.

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

@AD_79 and @Eris Falling: it was said on Discord already but these are very awesome. Thank you heaps for the contributions!

Two done! Keep 'em coming, folks!

...I still need to claim some slots for myself, huh.

I've worked on one already (E3M6) and will post them when I finish my second song (E5M7). Tristan's song (E3M5) is very good, love those beautiful melodies. Always a fan of his songs. AD79's E3M9 song is pretty good too.

My first two songs are complete. As you would expect with Heretic, plenty of Synth String 1 usage.

E3M6 - Moldy Passages - (1:58)

E5M7 - Terror Mansion - (2:17)

I'll also claim another slot - E4M3.

Edited by pcorf

8 minutes ago, pcorf said:

My first two songs are complete. As you would expect with Heretic, plenty of Synth String 1 usage.

Those are both great. There's a little bit of a hybrid Hexen vibe to both of them.

@pcorf Thanks for your contributions!

"Moldy Passages" is overall pretty damn good! Great use of haunting synth string chords, that's exactly what we want here. :) And that's a bangin' guitar melody. But I have some feedback:

- It starts out very slow. I wonder if the intro can be cut down by four bars or so?

- The two slightly different bass lines feel a bit redundant. Can you maybe simplify one or the other? I feel like one should embellish the other every now and then, but right now they're not quite playing off each other.

- I love the shamisen as an instrument but here I'm not sure if it fits. Perhaps you could see how Lead 6 (voice) or FX 5 (brightness) sound to you here?

- In bar 36 the synth strings play an F where an F# I think would sound much better.

- In bar 39 the chord seems to want to change to an E minor chord but you have an E major outlined in the synth strings on channel 4 and in the distorted guitar part. Changing the G#s to Gs here helps seal the deal for the minor tonality you initially established in bar 31.

"Terror Mansion" is really nice. Plodding and sombre but with some great dynamics, perfect for E5M7. Got a serious Schilder vibe as soon as the lead agogo came in! Fantastic use of the rhythm guitar as well.

I will mark this one as needing no further changes and solidified in its slot! Cheers, guv.

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

@pcorf Thanks for your contributions!

"Moldy Passages" is overall pretty damn good! Great use of haunting synth string chords, that's exactly what we want here. :) And that's a bangin' guitar melody. But I have some feedback:

- It starts out very slow. I wonder if the intro can be cut down by four bars or so?

- The two slightly different bass lines feel a bit redundant. Can you maybe simplify one or the other? I feel like one should embellish the other every now and then, but right now they're not quite playing off each other.

- I love the shamisen as an instrument but here I'm not sure if it fits. Perhaps you could see how Lead 6 (voice) or FX 5 (brightness) sound to you here?

- In bar 36 the synth strings play an F where an F# I think would sound much better.

- In bar 39 the chord seems to want to change to an E minor chord but you have an E major outlined in the synth strings on channel 4 and in the distorted guitar part. Changing the G#s to Gs here helps seal the deal for the minor tonality you initially established in bar 31.

"Terror Mansion" is really nice. Plodding and sombre but with some great dynamics, perfect for E5M7. Got a serious Schilder vibe as soon as the lead agogo came in! Fantastic use of the rhythm guitar as well.

I will mark this one as needing no further changes and solidified in its slot! Cheers, guv.

I made a few changes to the chords with the strings but tried other patches over Shamisen (inspired from a song in the Hexen soundtrack) and it didn't sound right to me so I will remove the song from the project and free up the E3M6 slot because I am stuck and there is nothing I can do about it. I also did not want to change the basslines as I felt it would ruin the feel to the song. I actually worked on 2 songs for E3M6, I wasn't happy with the first one so I composed a second one and I thought it was better. Thanks for accepting E5M7, was happy with that one myself. The E3M6 song will now go into my Zone 300 sequel project. Will do the E4M3 song later.

Edited by pcorf

Are you positive you want to withdraw it, Paul? Only asking for a few minor changes. Would you rather I make the changes myself, to taste? I don't want to lose a potential contribution.

I've added your E4M3 claim.

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Are you positive you want to withdraw it, Paul? Only asking for a few minor changes. Would you rather I make the changes myself, to taste? I don't want to lose a potential contribution.

I've added your E4M3 claim.

I made a few minor changes to the strings but changing that sharp sounding shamisen sound to brightness or voice didn't sound right, it was hard to get it mixed correctly so I'm withdrawing it = that is my final decision. E4M3 to come later.

Claiming E5M1 aaaaaand here's the track for it, haha. That was a full-on hour of work. I have no idea how or why my ideas come to me like this.

Ravine (2:02)

@Viscra Maelstrom Thanks for your submissions!

E2M5 is moody and dark with very Schilder-esque use of instruments and that tempo change. E3M1 has a great rockin' beat to it and for a track that's derivative on an original has plenty of its own ideas going on. I'm happy to include both these tracks as-is, although I think they might skirt the line of how similar to the original tracks I feel the new works for this project should be, that's the only thing I want to note. Very nice work!

E4M4's track done. Took me a few on-and-off days, this one, but I think I'm happy with it now!

Encrypted (2:22)

And here's a new track for E3M6. I removed my claim from E5M6 so that slot is up for grabs now!

Legions (2:16)

Edited by Jimmy

Hey Jimmy, would you mind making the final WAD Doom and Doom II compatible as well?  I much prefer the Heretic soundtrack over OG Doom and actually play Doom with it more than I do the Bobby Prince stuff.  It'd be great to play with something in the same Schilder vein.

@Viscra Maelstrom Awesome! This has such a cool "watery" vibe. Starts out unassuming and spaced-out and then picks up a good amount of steam. The way the rapid bassline fades in is so cool.

Consider it added!

6 hours ago, Average said:

Hey Jimmy, would you mind making the final WAD Doom and Doom II compatible as well?  I much prefer the Heretic soundtrack over OG Doom and actually play Doom with it more than I do the Bobby Prince stuff.  It'd be great to play with something in the same Schilder vein.

I will probably not do this myself - it's a task that would require a bunch of laborious renaming, multiplied twofold for the two separate IWADs. And there's a logistic hitch or two as well - how exactly would one order an episodic list of 29 new music tracks for Doom 2's contiguous 32-level roster? It'd be a stretch to say the least.

At the end of the day the idea behind these MIDI Pack projects is that the tracks are free to be implemented in any way desired by the end user. You can take these MIDIs and use them however you personally like!

Edited by Jimmy

Dragonfly has entered the arena (and will promptly make a musical asshole out of himself, probably.)   I'm claiming E3M8 :)

By way of an introduction, of sorts: Greetings, Fellow Doomworlders. I am Mr Grimsdale. Jimmy has kindly reached out through the warp and enticed me from my darkened cavern to pay tribute to Mr Kevin Schilder. After much deliberation, E4M9 Mausoleum and E6M2 Water Shrine have now been entrusted to me. I offer you, as fellow adventurers in this worthy endeavour, an enjoyable and profitable onward journey as we collectively venture through the murky corridors and dank recesses of Mr Schilder's mind to reforge a new musical path. It may be arduous, it may make our hair stand on end, and it may stop us going to bed at a reasonable hour, but I am confident that ultimately, with grit and no small measure of good fortune, (plus a bit of adept midi file editing from the elder gods, if deemed necessary) we shall prevail.

[Translation: Hello. I am here to create some midi music with you all. Let's Rock! ;) ]. 

Update: 25/05/2020

A big shout out (and a thank you) to Jimmy for some adept editing (as previously predicted), adding the startlingly Schilder-esque percussion and some notable musical embellishments, such as dark chords and GOT style drums, plus some midi jiggery-pokery including the seemless loop. This is to be considered a collaboration between two Paddocks, Neil and Jimmy, Jimmy and Neil. If you are a minion of the undead, this is a waltz, but you might still be tempted to shuffle. Here's the tune for the Mausoleum E4M9. Feedback welcomed, Doomworlders.

The Cadaver's Waltz - Final.mid (3:04) [for E4M9 Mausoleum]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zC9tI3alEc3E_HlcxsMbyQFSvk0txyYl/view?usp=sharing

Update: 30/05/2020

Once again, Thanks to Jimmy for editing, shaping and shortening this track, a slight tempo change and the usual Schilder-esque embellishments and some structural improvements to accompany the destruction of the abundance of evil wizards lurking on this level. There were lots of ideas to cram into our allocated 3 minutes, but it was a joint effort, working on opposite sides of the world, making use of both hemispheres... 

Dragged from the Pit - Final.mid (3:00) [for E6M2 Water Shrine]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PqbCF_KHJ-jSphB7jdl9NkjTtnjbesPe/view?usp=sharing

Edited by mrgrimsdale : Added link to The Cadaver's Waltz and Dragged from the Pit

I'll take E4M2.

This will be interesting as it might be my very first serious attempt at MIDI composition.

Don't expect me to be on the same level as my brother Jimmy though. The universe is too small for two gods of MIDI.

Good fun collaborating on people for this project. Got housemate @Dragonfly to thank for the initial draft of this piece, and then I done gone and jimmified it a whole bunch. Here is E3M8's track.

Die for Parthoris (2:31)

Got family on board the project as well - father @mrgrimsdale and sibling @Baratus are now involved in this!

Also, Episode 3 is nearly filled out with finished tracks! That seemed to go by pretty fast.

Jimmy, I need to drop out and forfeit my slot for E4M1 due to changing RL circumstances. Looks like the final product is going to be a ripper! All the best.