Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

RAVEN MIDI Pack project - COMPLETE.

Sick

I'm not so familiar with Heretic so this time I've picked my slots with an RNG :P

E5M2, E3M5, E4M5 please!

Oh yes, this is excellent.

This video may be insightful for those wanting to grasp what he was going for in Heretic. There's also a much longer series for Hexen, you can find the links here.

@wolfmcbeard I've never imposed a deadline for one of these projects, they're always quite slow burns. It takes as long as it takes, really!

heeee I just booted up Heretic to listen to the music and discovered,

A) i only have the shareware version, and
B) i have no idea what the level skip or jukebox cheat is

I am fairly interested in this project, I'll come back when I have refreshed my taste for it. I mean I've always loved Hexen's music and just paid less attention to Heretic for whatever reason so I should be able to find teh mood!

28 minutes ago, yakfak said:

heeee I just booted up Heretic to listen to the music and discovered,

A) i only have the shareware version, and
B) i have no idea what the level skip or jukebox cheat is

Level skip is "ENGAGE", but annoyingly I don't think there's an IDMUS equivalent.

I forget if there's a port besides GZDoom that allows "allcheats" i.e. the ability to use Doom cheats in Heretic or vice versa. If it came down to it you could grab the MIDIs from the Mirsoft.info page I linked in the OP. (Go to "Heretic: Game rip", then click the yellow download button and select the Norway mirror.)

Either way episode 1 of Heretic by itself has a bunch of iconic tracks by Schilder that should give you a good impression of what his style entails. :)

I missed E2M5! That's a duplicate that will need replacing - added it to the roster.

i'm definitely interested. i'd like to take a crack at E2M5 and E3M1, mostly because those are two levels that i actually remember from the game looking at the map list. :P

Posting once more to say that I'd also like to claim E5M3. That should be enough for the moment :P

One thing you might want to consider is to put all the maps up for grabs, and then when a map only has an original MIDI left, take it off the market. Or, let people claim a map but say that their music is going to be for an earlier slot and that the original MIDI is for the map they claimed. It's a bit weird to have the original songs only at the start of the game, and some people might think some music fits better with a later map -- as an example, E3M4's music is perfect for that map IMO.

That sounds like it could be a logistical nightmare. I'd have to communicate very clearly with every participant which slots are and aren't claimable - and if they're constantly fluctuating between the two, that means I'd be updating not just a list of tracks that are completed, but a list of the ones that are not completed.

I appreciate the suggestion, and I see where you're coming from, but these MIDI Packs have always been about filling in "blank space" where a lack of new and original music was painfully apparent. Re-use of the tracks will be permitted, so folks can always rearrange the full set of tracks to their tastes once it's out! That is a bridge we are a long ways off from crossing, though.

@AD_79 Many thanks, this is just awesome - I have nothing else to say!

A finished piece within 3 hours of the project thread's opening! That's gotta be a new record.

I'm in. Have always a fan of the style of Heretic and Hexen music. I would like to create songs for E3M6 an E5M7.

16 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Guidelines:

•  Imitate Kevin Schilder's style as best you can!

Something that may be of use here:

A problem I had when importing other composers' MIDIs alongside the original Heretic MIDIs, is that despite the new music fitting the fantasy/medieval theme, it simply didn't sound correct next to the original compositions.

As it turns out, a lot of the clash had to do with the instruments used, rather than the actual composition of the music. The new tracks needed "re-orchestration" to fit the original sound.

So I went through the original Heretic MIDIs and compiled a list of all the instruments used, along with a tally mark for each track that the patch appeared in:

Traditional Symphonic/Acoustic:

• String Ensemble 1 - IIIII IIII
  • String Ensemble 2 - I
  • SynthStrings 1 - IIIII IIIII IIIII II
  • SynthStrings 2 - III
  • Synth Brass 1 - II
  • Hammond Organ - II
  • French Horn - I
  • Choir Aahs - IIIII I
  • Synth Voice - III
  • Lead 6 (Voice) - I
  • Voice Oohs - II
  • Bottle Blow - I
  • Pad 1 (New Age) - I
  • Pad 2 (Warm) - II
  • Pad 5 (Bowed) - I
  • Pad 7 (Halo) - I
  • Marimba - IIIII
  • Celesta - I
  • Vibraphone - II
  • Acoustic Grand Piano - IIII
  • Pizzicato Strings - I
  • Acoustic Bass - II

Modern / Electronic:

• Distortion Guitar - IIIII I
  • Electric Guitar (Clean) - I
  • Electric Bass (Finger) - IIIII I
  • Fretless Bass - III
  • Synth Bass 2 - I
  • Slap Bass 2 - I

Percussion:

• Acoustic Grand Piano (Drum) - IIIII IIIII IIIII III
  • Timpani - IIIII IIIII I
  • Tubular Bells - III
  • Melodic Tom - II
  • Agogo - I
  • Synth Drum - I
  • Taiko Drum - II
  • Reverse Cymbal - IIIII

So if project participants want to mimic the original sound, and need a starting point for instrument selection, there you go.

Thanks to everyone who's pitched in so far. Very eager to see where this project goes!

On 5/1/2020 at 6:30 PM, Lüt said:

Something that may be of use here:

A problem I had when importing other composers' MIDIs alongside the original Heretic MIDIs, is that despite the new music fitting the fantasy/medieval theme, it simply didn't sound correct next to the original compositions.

As it turns out, a lot of the clash had to do with the instruments used, rather than the actual composition of the music. The new tracks needed "re-orchestration" to fit the original sound.

So I went through the original Heretic MIDIs and compiled a list of all the instruments used, along with a tally mark for each track that the patch appeared in:

Traditional Symphonic/Acoustic:

• String Ensemble 1 - IIIII IIII
  • String Ensemble 2 - I
  • SynthStrings 1 - IIIII IIIII IIIII II
  • SynthStrings 2 - III
  • Synth Brass 1 - II
  • Hammond Organ - II
  • French Horn - I
  • Choir Aahs - IIIII I
  • Synth Voice - III
  • Lead 6 (Voice) - I
  • Voice Oohs - II
  • Bottle Blow - I
  • Pad 1 (New Age) - I
  • Pad 2 (Warm) - II
  • Pad 5 (Bowed) - I
  • Pad 7 (Halo) - I
  • Marimba - IIIII
  • Celesta - I
  • Vibraphone - II
  • Acoustic Grand Piano - IIII
  • Pizzicato Strings - I
  • Acoustic Bass - II

Modern / Electronic:

• Distortion Guitar - IIIII I
  • Electric Guitar (Clean) - I
  • Electric Bass (Finger) - IIIII I
  • Fretless Bass - III
  • Synth Bass 2 - I
  • Slap Bass 2 - I

Percussion:

• Acoustic Grand Piano (Drum) - IIIII IIIII IIIII III
  • Timpani - IIIII IIIII I
  • Tubular Bells - III
  • Melodic Tom - II
  • Agogo - I
  • Synth Drum - I
  • Taiko Drum - II
  • Reverse Cymbal - IIIII

So if project participants want to mimic the original sound, and need a starting point for instrument selection, there you go.

Especially Synth Strings 1 (listen to MUS_E2M1 for example). But on the OPL it plays at an octave higher than the standard Roland MIDI sounds. The usage of Bottle Blow in MUS_E2M6 is fantastic.

This looks great! I always wanted to listen to some more custom music for Heretic.

Heretic has always been my favourite game, especially its soundtrack, which I consider being the best soundtrack among Doom-engine games. Unfortunately, for some reason, I experience that many Heretic WADs are short of any custom music, mostly reusing the vanilla tracks, or in the better case, use some existing MIDIs. It seems like people are not so likely to compose new music for Heretic, as they do for Doom, which is a pity. There are some more great Heretic WADs (Curse of D'Sparil for example) which would definitely deserve some original music.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:30 AM, Lüt said:

SynthStrings 1 - IIIII IIIII IIIII II

10 hours ago, pcorf said:

But on the OPL it plays at an octave higher than the standard Roland MIDI sounds.

Oh yes, Synth Strings 1, the most ICONIC instrument for the whole Heretic soundtrack! It plays in almost every Heretic music. I'm personally OPL Synth user, and Synth Strings 1 playing an octave higher, is actually what it makes it sound so distinctive and great! This is one thing what made me love the Heretic soundtrack.

So if the goal there is to imitate Kevin Schilder's style, I'd expect Synth Strings 1 to appear in almost every new track too.

10 hours ago, pcorf said:

The usage of Bottle Blow in MUS_E2M6 is fantastic.

Didn't you mean E2M9?

Good luck to everyone.

This gives me hope for a Deathkings MIDI pack.

22 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Good luck to everyone.

This gives me hope for a Deathkings MIDI pack.

Heck yeah, I'd love to see that.

Yes, please.  I'd love to have a wider selection of tracks for my Heretic maps without having to resort to Doomish rock/metal tracks or rips from Raven's other games.