Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BarabaszEnthusiast

What mod would you like to see/create for Doom Eternal if it had mod support?

I really, really hope they will add mod support or release some dev tools for us to play with. This would continue the tradition that was started by Doom 1 and Doom 2 community, and it is also what allows these games to be alive to this day.

I am hoping to talk and share thoughts about possible mods for Doom Eternal! What mod would you like to see or create?

i've seen here many great ideas for mods or changes for Doom Eternal, below are my favorites:

Mods:

1. Random demons mod. Completely different demons each time. That would add replayability and an element of suprprise for each playthorugh. Of course this would not be entirely random in order to avoid fighting 10 Marauders at once but you get the idea.

2. Surivival/infinite/endless mod, you name it. You are fighting infnite waves of demons until you die. I hoped demon prison would be something like this and I was really dissapointed that it wasn't.

3. The floor is lava, your meat hook has no cooldown and dash regenerates in the air. Using jump pads, meat hooks jumps and climbing walls you have to stay in the air all the time and shoot demons on the ground and in the air.

4. Basic map editor so at least we can create our own master levels and just dick around.

If I will ever get my hands on some modding tools these are the changes I will most certainly make:

1. 1.5 x ammo capacity and weapons do not share ammo - I am fed up with chainsawing every minute and low-ammo mechanic makes no sense if two weapons can share it.

2. Significantly faster weapon switching - In my opinion it is too slow.

3. Increase in movement speed by 15% - This can be already done thanks to cheat engine :3

4. Melee and flame belch deals damage.

5. Meat hook has longer grapling range, regenerates faster and attracts faster. - I love meat hook I want to use it all the time :D

6. Teleports at the begging and at the end of platforming sections to skip this unnecessary crap.

7. Slower balista but it has greater recoil (pseudo rocket jumping) - Balista is slightly op.

8. Rocket launcher is faster but it deals less damage, lock on burst gets nerfed or cut out because it is way too op.

9. Imps back on walls. - They were nerfed too much in Eternal.

10. Demons drop less health and armor. - Compensation for other upgrades.

11. Blood punch is no more. - this game is overengineered and needs some simplification.

12. Less demons at once but more overall, longer encounters, demon waves more spread in time. - My biggest complaint about Doom Eternal is that it often has too many demons at once, the number of enemies per square metre is simply too much. This high density or concentration is a bad design even considering increased movement ability in Eternal. ARC complex master level is a great example of this (especially on nightmare) there are so many demons you don't know what is going on, at this point there is no strategy whatsoever, you are running around like a maniac, just spamming bullets at the demonic mass in the middle, just terrible. This happens through out the whole campaing, demons block your way because there are so many of them, you are bumping into them all the time, it is easy to get killed by the weakest zombie, they are spawning indefinitely and just walking around taking space, waiting to attack you from behind. Doom 2016 had the perfect amount of enemies in the second half of the game, it was like a dance not like a workout. Imagine combining Eternal's movement with slightly lower demon's concentration. That would create a perfect balance. That is why I say that the perfect game lies somewhere between Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal.

13. Demons are faster because there are less of them. 

14. No buff totems and purple goo. - This doesn't need an explanation.

15. Quick save and load. - I don't know if this can be implemented but it should be mandatory for every PC game.

16. No need to use special weapons for weak points. - Now you have to use sniper rifle, balista or plasma blast to destroy weak points which sucks because devs literally force you to play the way they want to. I hate this. Every weapon should be equal for destroying weak points.

17. No invisible walls and encounters are not mandatory. - It is related to the previous point. In this game you are being strangled at every moment, you absolutely have to play the way the devs want you to play, you have to go the way they want you to go. Games are about haivng fun and doing what you want, I've recently played DUSK (great game btw, awesome game design) and it is so refreshing to do what you want, just like in the 90's, like in the original Doom. In DUSK you can just sprint straight to the exit killing no one, you can easily go out of bounds, there are always alternative ways to get somewhere or do something etc. really great design, game from 2018 feels like a game from 1997.

Edited by BarabaszEnthusiast

1) Better sword combat. I was so psyched at the possibility of getting into a sword on axe duel when they first revealed the crucible blade and Marauder.... and then so disappointed when not only was there no real sword combat system at play, but that the blade didn't even work at all on the Marauder. 

2) Improved base punching damage/ stagger ability.  

1)Classic weapon models for all the weapons that were present in the original Doom, of course the SSG would have to keep the meat hook.

2)Maps... that's all I want out of Eternal just being able to make maps for it would already give it so much more life.

3)Porting weapons from other games, just for the fun time and maybe they'll bring a new playstyle.

The equivalent of WadSmoosh.

Play the Doom 2016 campaign then seamlessly follow with another intermediate campaign that ends with claiming the Fortress of Doom, then the Doom Eternal campaign.

One that turns every enemy into Marauders.

21 minutes ago, Gez said:

The equivalent of WadSmoosh.

Play the Doom 2016 campaign then seamlessly follow with another intermediate campaign that ends with claiming the Fortress of Doom, then the Doom Eternal campaign.

Close. One that just loads Doom 2016 and stops there. 

That's it. 

Remove glory kills or make them optional by giving point-blank execution shots of enemies in the stagger state the same effect.

It's the worst thing about Eternal for me. A cutscene is still a cutscene even if it's 1 seconds long.  And I want that rune slot for something else.

In terms of creating stuff, I'd love to see how more complex level layouts would play. Super Gore Nest being one of the clear fan favourites (at least within the classic Doom constituency) points to good things.

Everyone knows how Bethesda hate the mods. I'm not a dreamer.

1 hour ago, qdash said:

Bethesda rely on mods so much they monetize them.

And if they hate mods, why do they even include Curated addons for Doom 1/2 on PS4, Xbox or Switch?  I think you are a bit behind the times or just confused with Nintendo here.

2 hours ago, qdash said:

Correction - in the current landscape Bethesda is the ONLY one who still cares about mods.

On-topic, I'd like to see more otherwordly and surreal levels. Also more Hell.

An infinite wave mode would be great. I still play Left 4 Dead 2, mostly for the Survival mode, in which you and three other players fight off waves until everyone dies. That would work really well in Doom Eternal and allow for cooperative play, even if it isn't the campaign.

Man, I hope they dump glory kills in the next game. I was tired of them by the time I was most of the way through Doom 2016. heh.

Anyhow, like others have said, I'd also like to mod out the glory kills. I like @holaareola's idea of point blank shots after staggering.

And I'd like a mod that allows you to climb where you need to go rather than using those silly Prince of Persia swing poles.

Like @seed said, more otherworldly levels and more hell would be nice.

Oh and a mod that removes those fugly, giant question marks in secrets.

5 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Low-graphics mode mod.

Low poly PS1 Doom Eternal! Hell yeah!

Can you tell what that demon is?

51 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

Man, I hope they dump glory kills in the next game. I was tired of them by the time I was most of the way through Doom 2016. heh.

Not a fan of them either honestly, so I wouldn't mind their disappearance.

However, due to their popularity and rip 'n tear attitude of fans... no, I think they're here to stay.

15 hours ago, BarabaszEnthusiast said:

6. Teleports at the begging and at the end of platforming sections to skip this unnecessary crap.

This. Thousand times this. Quake-like bounce pads or Urdak-like fly rings would be fine, too.

Edit: Oh and maybe I'd add

17. Direct-fire buttons for grenade and frost bomb. It consumes two buttons already (fire/switch) and keeping track of which one is active is cumbersome.

18. Even bigger HUD than the "large" option.

Edited by Caleb13

Another mod idea; multiple player classes, along with Quake I Ranger and Neo-Wolfenstein B.J. classes.

I want an official patch that adds more glory kills, more monkey bar platforming sections, totem buff all monsters right off the bat, reduce ammo carrying capacity, slow down player speed just a bit, more purple goo areas, more toxic swimming sections etc.

I would like Unreal 1/Unreal Tournament style control for dash (pressing one of the movement/WASD button twice for dash) instead of pressing a dedicated button.

Auto-skip all cutscenes/transitions mod

SnapMap-like editor of some kind

Permanent Buffed Demons mode

Endless Survival mode

Slayer Gates and Boss Fights from the main menu

Let's be real, the first thing that would start flooding out is Classic Doom map remakes. I wouldn't mind doing one of the O' of Destruction, very underappreciated level.

19 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I would like Unreal 1/Unreal Tournament style control for dash (pressing one of the movement/WASD button twice for dash) instead of pressing a dedicated button.

Oh hell no, I hated that gimmick in Unreal Gold, it made traversing narrow ledges a pain.

5 minutes ago, seed said:

Oh hell no, I hated that gimmick in Unreal Gold, it made traversing narrow ledges a pain.

Of course it should be toggleable. The reason I would like it is because it doesn't require a dedicated button to be pressed in order to perform the move (and also because I am well adapted to it).

Besides, I don't think Eternal even has such narrow ledges that Unreal 1 has.

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

Of course it should be toggleable. The reason I would like it is because it doesn't require a dedicated button to be pressed in order to perform the move (and also because I am well adapted to it).

Besides, I don't think Eternal even has such narrow ledges that Unreal 1 has.

You're right, oops, I got stuck in the past for a moment there.

I don't have a problem with it, it's just that it should be left as a toggle if it is to be implemented.