Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

DBP23: Evil Egypt

21 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

@blob1024 Interesting, it was my understanding that this behavior doesn't happen if you're playing the set in its target (limit-removing) compatibility, i.e. PrB+ -cl2 / Crispy / EE -vanilla. I know Boom supposedly introduced the possibility of monsters getting knocked off ledges but not killed as a consequence of some other technical stuff like conveyor belts. I notice that you've posted in a few demos using PrB+ -cl2, though, so is it the case that you can still knock enemies off with the RL but not kill them in -cl2? If we're talking imps vs. rockets, that seems like an unusual situation, but I'm guessing not *so* unusual after all, based on your feedback. Hmmm...

in map 9 its rare, but it happened me once in my early tests of map.

in map 7 is very very common because the imps which spawns up there lots. therefore is easier in that case

in my demo I use chaingun for imps due to this problem. the final time doesnt really change, since the 4min waiting to access to final area

if in your maps access to RL is possible, I advice to do some testing firing at enemies on pillars for a reasonable amount of times. Just to see how often the falling may occur

otherwise you could set a minimal fence to avoid that or something alike.

for the 2 maps its not a major issue btw!

also, in map9 i occurred twice this annoying situation, which turned the demo into a failure, have a look, I think the AV jumps out and then got blocked in the way or re-entered his room and the door shut him out of reach. of course you can return to the bluekey and free him, but its an immense waste of time and i think non-intended by the author

i should sign up as bugtesting eheh :)

ee9-AVluls.zip

52 minutes ago, blob1024 said:

also, in map9 i occurred twice this annoying situation, which turned the demo into a failure, have a look, I think the AV jumps out and then got blocked in the way or re-entered his room and the door shut him out of reach. of course you can return to the bluekey and free him, but its an immense waste of time and i think non-intended by the author

i should sign up as bugtesting eheh :)

ee9-AVluls.zip

i tried to improve my 3:22 in map9 and actually the AV case is very unfortunate. if you spend a couple time killing just a few imps, the archvile never get trapped.

oh by the way don't get me wrong, im loving all these maps a lot

umh umh.. do you need an AV jump for BFG on map8? edit: got it

still missing supercharge on map6 too sadly

and the berserk pack on map5

map10 looks amazing but I got lost on my way to final fights

will next days look at the other maps

great work everyone

Edited by blob1024

On 5/10/2020 at 2:42 AM, dmdr said:

map08: no jump necessary, look for a hidden switch.

thanks a lot. I tried to get something near 4mins, great map.

ill post my max in the demo speed-thread

hello!

Im now almost done playing all of the maps, even tho a few werent recorded on uv-max due to a secret missing.

in case you wish to share them, ill try play under uv-max those too.

map 5: i can access to supercharge, but i cant reach the zerk pack, which is the final secret

map 6: I understood there's a teleporter to get the supercharge, but couldnt figure where

map 10: I actually should check this again, it looked awesomely complex, and probably got lost or missed many secrets... i forgot.

map 11: i just random played it, and i got confused. 20 secrets, I actually found them all except the invulnerability one. I also wanted to know if the idkfa area is intended to be reachable or if it was supposed to be locked in final version. that area changes drastically the playability of the level.

in any case, again my congratulations for the maps, very interesting project :) bravo!

Heya, guys! Awesome mapset so far! May I suggest putting monsterblock linedefs on map 7 around the towers in both arenas? If you chaingun imps and chaingunners, they tend to fall down into areas that can't be reached by players.

I have a question. What triggers the second set of crushers that kill the barons on map 10? I pressed the switch and they were killed on one side, but nothing happened on the ledges surrounding the lava pool with the RL. Is there another switch? Playing on latest Zdoom.

Yeah, there are three different crusher-triggering switches. One on each side of the rocker launcher area and another by the two small brick enclosures.

Liking this so far more than I did with Biotech to be honest.

Here's the first part of my let's play for those interested (ignore some of the nonsense I said like this being 8-9 maps long, I was talking from memory instead of double-checking the OP):

Spoiler

@papunio - that's a very aggressive run there, thanks for sharing. I'm surprised you didn't go for the rocket launcher earlier, but targeting the plasma rifle seemed to work out well for you as well!

@seed Thanks for the stream! Really good soundfont you've got there.

5 minutes ago, Phobus said:

@seed Thanks for the stream! Really good soundfont you've got there.

No problem, glad you enjoyed watching it :D .

The soundfont is SGM v2.01 as found in this topic, played back through Timidity++ .

@seed sorry about that YSK puzzle, hehe, but kudos for actually figuring it out! I probably should have found some way to lock the player in a smaller area so that it was more clear that they had to stay and figure out those switches. Still it was actually enjoyable watching you puzzle it out, believe it or not XD

16 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

@seed sorry about that YSK puzzle, hehe, but kudos for actually figuring it out! I probably should have found some way to lock the player in a smaller area so that it was more clear that they had to stay and figure out those switches. Still it was actually enjoyable watching you puzzle it out, believe it or not XD

Heh, yeah, it could've been better executed, but honestly I think the main issue there is that the lowering platforms aren't too easy to hear thanks to the distance, it wasn't until I managed to accidentally see one of the torches moving that I realized I was indeed meant to take that platform and go back.

I'd say there's mostly enough clues given to the player otherwise, especially since it says the exit is there somewhere. But what I still didn't like is going to be the hidden automap. I still stand by what I said, I think hiding the map completely was just a completely unnecessary move that needlessly confuses the player in that area.

Just started Level 5 of Evil Egypt! 

Level 4 was one of the best levels I've ever played in that style. Welllllll done.

Incidentally, I am playing on HMP and the skill level seems really well balanced for that too. No big issues so far. A few spots where I had to jump  / crouch but I always assume you don't have to.

Are all of these levels updates of previous levels?

I really liked the style of this map. I decided to turn up the atmosphere with appropriate mods. The architecture of the level is very cool, matching the ancient Egyptian theme, although electronic buttons placed here and there, or the modern "exit" sign, spoiled this impression.

you could just put a link to your channel instead of bumping the thread with each video

Your concern is appreciated Mr Masker, but i think it's fine to bump a project thread with playthrough videos. At least to notify the mappers of someone playing their maps :)