Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pixel Fiend

For fans of pixelation, check this graphics mod for Doom

I used to think that pixel-perfect pixelation would be my ultimate goal in making Doom look beautiful, but actually I'm never fully satisfied with the look. In a 3D game, there's never a perfect line between blurriness, sharpness and grain. Yesterday I accidentally ticked "Luma sharpen" setting from Mari FX shader loaded after Pixel Retro FX shader and I can't shake how amazed I am with the result. It reminds me of the effects the developers of Prodeus use in their promo art. When you walk around, there's no such grain distortion I've seen before and every square is strikingly accentuated witout looking rough. What is visible here is that every 4x4 pixel square is given a pixel-wide illumination border. Obviously not everyone is a fan of pixelation but to me personally, this makes this game's visuals substantially more consistent by today's standards.

45A4F4E79F413E437ED0B88D400F8A5CDE0649E2

Edited by <<Rewind

Mari FX isn't a built in Doom graphic setting as far as i know, nor is Pixel Retro FX.

Admittely the pic does look good, but by Doom graphic setting, i associate that with a built-in option in a source port. Mari FX and Pixel Retro FX aren't part of source ports. :)

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=103&amp;t=60127 

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=103&amp;t=63394

Thanks for replying. To be honest, I was hesitant if anyone would even be interested in the topic and I forgot about placing those two links. The other two pixelation shaders you mention didn't work properly for me. I'm still satisfied using luma sharpening and I realized the graphic settings mod settings I used before were rather too blurry. Here's a comparison picture: before (up) and now (down). This lazy pic has jpeg damage but conveys the gist

Peg4nUR.jpg

27 minutes ago, <<Rewind said:

Here's a comparison picture: before (up) and now (down). This lazy pic has jpeg damage but conveys the gist

Peg4nUR.jpg

The two look nothing alike. If you were using these to demonstrate Luma Sharpen, wouldn't the exact same picture with the effect on and off make more sense?

But my older screenshots don't seem that blurry, so I'm not completely sure if I hadn't messed something up for it to look so.

8457AFB00712CB85A99D14356CE39FD0AC67D371

6C8095B3166237595BD5E6A590A00DDCB80DEDFA