Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Is the Chex Quest 3 version on Chucktropolis incorrect?

Recommended Posts

(Yes this is only tangentially Doom related I'm, aware)

 

Chex Quest 3 has a number of revisions between the first and final release. On E2M1 there's a one-time Chef character that appears behind the diner counter. In the revision I have, which I don't know which version it is, he has the sprite CHEFA0 and replaces the DeadLostSoul object in the games DECORATE. However, in the version on Chucktropolis, the sprite and DECORATE is missing entirely. It feels odd to me that he'd remove this character that had been there since the first revision of the game. Is this actually the last version of Chex Quest 3 he has uploaded or is it an earlier revision?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Death Egg said:

(Yes this is only tangentially Doom related I'm, aware)

 

Chex Quest 3 has a number of revisions between the first and final release. On E2M1 there's a one-time Chef character that appears behind the diner counter. In the revision I have, which I don't know which version it is, he has the sprite CHEFA0 and replaces the DeadLostSoul object in the games DECORATE. However, in the version on Chucktropolis, the sprite and DECORATE is missing entirely. It feels odd to me that he'd remove this character that had been there since the first revision of the game. Is this actually the last version of Chex Quest 3 he has uploaded or is it an earlier revision?

 

 

Supposely the Chucktropolis is the latest version. You can find out which version you have by its file stamps, i believe. Or check which version of Chex3.exe you have - It should be ZDoom 2.3.1 based, dated June 23, 2009. More info here.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Supposely the Chucktropolis is the latest version. You can find out which version you have by its file stamps, i believe. Or check which version of Chex3.exe you have - It should be ZDoom 2.3.1 based, dated June 23, 2009. More info here.

Hm, I've only saved the IWAD for chex3.wad since I generally just use it with GZDoom/Zandronum.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Death Egg said:

Hm, I've only saved the IWAD for chex3.wad since I generally just use it with GZDoom/Zandronum.

What happens if used with Chex3.exe?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

 

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

What happens if used with Chex3.exe?

Seems to work fine, the chef appears in whichever version I have without issue. It he;ps that the chex3.wad IWAD contains both the sprite and DECORATE in order for it to work.

Share this post


Link to post

On the wiki we have two versions of CHEX3.WAD, which are 1.0 and 1.4. You can try comparing your file with those, I use HashMyFiles because it's a simple light-weight app that doesn't need to be "installed" and that gives all the relevant values.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/2/2020 at 12:00 PM, Gez said:

You can try comparing your file with those, I use HashMyFiles because it's a simple light-weight app that doesn't need to be "installed" and that gives all the relevant values.

 

If you happen to have 7zip installed there should also have a "CRC SHA" entry in the file context menu that can compute several different checksum/hashes for files.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×