Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Quick ramble on gravity

Gravity is a field consisting of tensors (which are like 3D matrices containing metadata) at each coordinate in spacetime; these tensors curve both the spatial and temporal qualities of reality via the presence of matter and energy.

I only recently learned about this version of what gravity is, which really altered my perception of reality in general. It describes gravity as already being present regardless of whether matter and energy are there to alter it. This seems to imply there is a baseline value to the curvature of spacetime, which as far as we know is very nearly flat, a conclusion derived from testing whether a very large triangle adds up to more than 180 degrees (which it should not if spacetime is flat, or has extremely large geodesics). What I've been trying to do as of recent is imagine the gravity field as a series of infinite 3D grids laid over spacetime, with each cell strobing in sync to depict the uniformity of the system. I then imagine a clump of plasma and gas congealing into a ball, causing the tensors to significantly reduce the size of the cells, as well as strobe more slowly, at the ball's center. The effect tapers off from the center, and beyond that the strobing/cell size becomes uniform again.

This has basically been the end result of more than a decade of research, and one thing I'd like to do is generate a 3D animation depicting this, although I lack the skills. I think if I could pull it off, it might help make gravity more clear as a concept for some. The traditional 2D grid analogy is downgraded by two entire spatial dimensions whereas my depiction only subtracts one.

I believe your understanding of gravity equals that which both Hawking and Einstein currently possess.

Sometimes i wonder what the hell were astrophysicists smoking when they came up with mind bending shit like this.

Gravity as a side effect of how space behaves in the presense of mass is crazy; Still not as crazy as the observable universe erupting from a patch of empty space wich randomly expanded faster than light, then it converted the enrgy that fueled said expansion into quark-gluon (whatever that cereal-glue means) plasma slowing down the expansion, this last process is known as the Big Bang. The rest of the universe outside our observable one always existed, we only happen to be an echo through eternity, and a more elaborated form of 'nothingness'.

21 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Make a Doom WAD about it with gravity altering mechanics.

It would be awesome to have semi-realistic black hole mechanics in Doom.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:23 AM, Solmyr said:

Sometimes i wonder what the hell were astrophysicists smoking when they came up with mind bending shit like this.

A lot of that was Einstein performing thought experiments, as he was curious as to how extreme events could become, given enough velocity, mass and energy. Considering that humans are embedded inside the thing they're studying, it seems inevitable that some level of objective understanding would eventually arise. It's the thing observing itself. 

Einstein was brilliantly imaginative in his concept that spatial and temporal direction is subject to change at every region of space, an ebb and flow determined by how much mass/energy is present. The Newtonian view of self-consistent clockwork at the largest scales could no longer hold up. 

That's cool but did you know gravity makes you a little shorter in the evening?