Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LateToDOOM2020

DOOM SIMPLIFY - Abstraction Tool For Doom Commandline version1

THIS TOOL IS NOT THE MOST UP TO DATE VERSION PLEASE GO HERE FOR THE MOST UP TO DATE VERSION

First of all This tool may not be of use to anyone but I find it useful.
I am new to doom so i ended up automating things instead of learning if theres better ways.

BEFORE YOU USE 
BE AWARE Setting The Doom Port directory wont show up once entered You must then CHECK the port directory to see.

So heres the tool 

1.PNG.bd2f2980ba53aab3f951d7887af331e3.PNG

This is a simple tool to abstract dooms commandline requirements.
 For DOOM in dosbox this can be quite a tricky task to easily run wads quickly.
 As for other ports this tool makes it faster to run wads. 
 This tool does a few things using a Graphical Interface.  

• Supports Multiple DOOM Ports
  • Can warp to levels
  • Run Doom
  • Run WAD Files 

By having all of these in one place it makes it very easy to quickly run a WAD file 
 using the original DOS DOOM then immediately run the same WAD file in GZDoom.
 This makes it easy to have all these doom installations all over your computer but able to run and play them all in one place.

This Currently supports 2 Ports

•  Original Doom for dosbox from GOG Games 
  • GZDoom

And installing it is as simple as putting the Folder on your computer.
Though it must be in a location where theres no spaces in path "C:\Users\Name\Downloads\No_Spaces\HERE"

Due to things out of my control due to how dosbox and possibly GZ doom handle commandline args.

Heres what the Interface looks Like. 
Note that I have all the windows Opened at once just to show the Abilities of it. 
Usually you Use the main window Seen in the top center of the image with all the buttons and select options one by one.

demo.PNG.4aa6a1ac13186058c4eb3707d8728f51.PNG

DEVELOPER INFO
If your a developer wanting to improve this tool and add more ports.
Feel free to improve it because currently it supports 2 only and i don't have time to make it support a whole bunch as i made it quickly based off what my needs for the tool were.
Also this is python and could be turned into an EXE through "Freeze" or whatever it is that turns an interpreted python script into a binary exe file for more user freindlyness.
Once you read the code and understand whats going on it shouldnt be too hard to see where the ports can be added through out the tool.
Also I made this for my self so dont hate me if my coding style is bad or lazy I just wanted a tool i could quickly use.

AGAIN.... Im new to doom maybe this tool is very pointless and all you doom gamers know much more about how to easily use doom than me but if not then this 

tool may be of great help. I hope atleast someone likes it😁.

Im posting this tool on my Profile if anyone wants a copy and this post is gone.

DOWNLOAD THE TOOL (EXE FILE GOOD FOR JUST RUNNING THE TOOL)

DOOMSimplify_exe.zip

DOWNLOAD THE PYTHON SCRIPTS (RUNS FINE BUT FOR DEVELOPERS)

DOOMSimplify.zip

Edited by LateToDOOM2020 : Edited to mention More information

A really interesting idea but one problem I have is, how do you actually use this tool? The readme file contained within barely helped at all and running the "run.bat" file does nothing. I noticed it said I needed to have python installed (which I do) so I'm not fully sure what I'm doing wrong. :l

Dang i thought this would be an Issue with it being in python. It was just easier to quickly develop the concept using it.
The run.bat file is trying to run the tool in python but I think its not finding python.

Luckily I was able to do what I thought wouldnt be possible.
I was able to get this in to an exe file. 
All you do now is To to the TOOL folder and double click on run.bat
This should work. Just be patient when you run it ..it will come up with a black window and then maybe 2 to 5 seconds later a window will appear a tiny tiny one in the top left corner of the window. I just minimize the black console window and use the tool.

So what your saying is there are these kinds of complications for doom players having multiple ports? 
If so yea i have already found it of much use for jumping between the 2 ports i added.

Remeber though this only supports 2 ports so far due to the limited time i spent on this little tool and due to the fact i am new to ports.
Id say it even is useful using it on one port though.

FILE DOWNLOAD BELOW 

DOOMSimplify_exe.zip

On 5/2/2020 at 5:20 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

A really interesting idea but one problem I have is, how do you actually use this tool? The readme file contained within barely helped at all and running the "run.bat" file does nothing. I noticed it said I needed to have python installed (which I do) so I'm not fully sure what I'm doing wrong. :l

Hey I realized I did not quote you so you never would know if i replied sorry I am new to posting on websites!
I actually have a new version that supports mods and also it is a single file without the need for python here.