Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TotalTS

If a Doom Level CD were a thing in 2020...

Dumb idea, but I wanted to ask, if a Doom CD with many levels for The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 came up in 2020 (like a D!ZONE Remake/Resurrection kinda thing) which WADs would you like to see? or what kind of things would you expect from it? (fake screenshots on the cover, better frontend, bad WADs, etc.)

Actually the community at large could curate a pretty-definitive experience IMO; there's more than enough excellent content out there, and artists who are certainly up to the task of producing great cover-art for such a thing.

Question is though, who even really uses CD ROM anymore?

This reminds me of PortaDOOM, a series of portable packages that come in a DOS styled frontend that include wads from the community, and each package has something different, like one for the 2018 cacowards, you can see information about each wad and you're given the option to use the different source ports available, something like that could be a good thing to include in a CD.

But indeed, do people keep using CDs? Would that be worth it?

5 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Well in this large community I'm sure someone still uses CD ROMs, it's more for the retro experience.

Alternatively, a decent curation of WADs and mods in one place, possibly a torrent or something, may be a boon for people wanting to experience what this community has had to offer for many years now without all the archive-digging? Just spitballing here with no real depth of thought to what I'm typing.

10 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

i do

I have optical drives in every single one of my desktop PCs, and all the laptops, except those that don't take an optical drive anymore. They are hardly ever used, but I do have a large collection of stuff on optical disks, so sometimes it's handy. Sometimes I use BluRay Rewritable disks for backups.

9 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Don't most PCs still have some kind of optical disk drive? My current machine has one that can read DVDs, and I was thinking of getting a Blu-Ray drive for my next upgrade.

I've seen people say things like that before and it makes no sense to me. Why would eliminating the facility to read optical disks from one's PC be considered a step forward when optical disks are still a thing?

Heh, I stand corrected. I mean, this laptop has an optical drive (and I still own my old DOOM CDs, one of the first things to be installed on any new computer...) but I guess I thought myself in a notable minority and parroted something I'd seen said a lot.

And also, there's a certain je ne sais quois satisfying quality about physical things like CDs with nice cover art...

I actually already made my "What would YOUR shovelware CD look like?" pack!

https://doomshack.org/~doomkid/doomwads.zip

Granted, the goal was to only include decent quality content, unlike old shovelware discs which were often even more shameless than those "999-in-1" Famicom multicarts..

I actually need to update this thing, it's been a while! If anyone has any vanilla-compatible WADs to suggest, please do so!

21 minutes ago, elend said:

I think this is a great idea! I made a quick cover:

doomworld_sharewaredqjic.png

I love the WHAT YEAR IS IT detail, but I'll put a random Demon artwork/Cyberdemon Sprite/Adrian Carmack sketch colorized instead, and it would look perfect. Great work by the way.

3 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Alternatively, a decent curation of WADs and mods in one place, possibly a torrent or something, may be a boon for people wanting to experience what this community has had to offer for many years now without all the archive-digging? Just spitballing here with no real depth of thought to what I'm typing.

I assume a Cacoward torrent would be a good place to start.

Good, I thought I could use some new shit.

DoomAddOns.jpg

I have boxes to Alchemy, at least two, maybe all three of the *!Zone/Match, and of course Master Levels though that's an official one.  Would have to get them at my dad's house sometime.

Edited by Gokuma

Online, you could probably make like a disk with a game on It that you can play on PS, or Xbox 

7 hours ago, elend said:

I think this is a great idea! I made a quick cover:

doomworld_sharewaredqjic.png

Laughed way harder than I ever should have at "500 hours of free AOL!" A true 90's touch, that.

Ok, now I see there's attention to this idea, I can suggest the following stuff:

*Contribute to @Doomkid BIG Vanilla Classic Wad Collection to make it better. I personally suggest:

-Unruly Suffering by Simploo
-Unhealthy by @pcorf
-Hell Forged from @Amuscaria
-The Crypt from @RonnieJamesDiner
-Metal Meltdown from Hasuman
This last two are from Doom Mapping Contest II: Hellectric Boogaloo, that's stuff I'd like too see on a Collection.
Not sure if any of those are 100% vanilla but I assume something can be done about it.

*Include a folder for Cacowards Collection.

*By looking at @Gokuma photo, I suggest the cover should include a random Demon Artwork like most of those CDs include. But after appreciating @elend creativity, I say go wild and let's do variant covers, fake magazine ads, everything, but for that we need to:

*Decide a name for the project.

14 minutes ago, TotalTS said:

*Decide a name for the project.

How about Supreme DOOM or Super DOOM? Maybe not even have DOOM in the name and call it like Exit: Death?

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

How about Supreme DOOM or Super DOOM? Maybe not even have DOOM in the name and call it like Exit: Death?

I like how Supreme DOOM Levels/Collection sound, it rhymes with Master Levels, Maximum Doom.

11 hours ago, Senor500 said:

This reminds me of PortaDOOM

Was going to mention this as well. It's a cool little thing, in a nostalgic format.

18 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Quite a lot more than people asking this question even realize.

Even regardless, CD-ROM imposes some restrictions that may be beneficial:

1. The 700MB limit means that there may be a mandatory quality control on WADs inserted into this collection. I mean, if all you want is the whole idgames archive, that's easy

2. the ISO-9660 file system is read-only, readily usable on every OS on both optical disc, and trivially written to USB sticks, and you can't just accidentally delete your whole collection.

But, just to chime in here, I don't have a CD-Rom anymore either. Since about 2013, I think.

6 hours ago, chungy said:

The 700MB limit means that there may be a mandatory quality control on WADs inserted into this collection.

As long as it includes "The Sky May Be", I'm game. Oh, and put in that video of Bill Gates advertising DOOM for Windows 95.

Edited by dr_st

3 hours ago, chungy said:

1. The 700MB limit means that there may be a mandatory quality control on WADs inserted into this collection.

This even makes it halfway plausible for a zip or torrent and I'm for it.

5 hours ago, chungy said:

if all you want is the whole idgames archive, that's easy

Oh boy, I was looking for this for the past several days. Time to get downloading, thanks!

Do all the Cacoward winners fit on one CD? Asking this noob question since I am a noob and assume most community WADs are as small as the IWADs from ID.