Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TotalTS

If a Doom Level CD were a thing in 2020...

18 minutes ago, User Name said:

Brutal Doom doesn't have to be included, does it?

The better it weren't IMO. Saves people potentially frustrated with incompatibilities here or there.

On 5/3/2020 at 12:35 AM, NoXion said:

Don't most PCs still have some kind of optical disk drive?

Definitely not. At least not here in New Zealand. I sell computers at my shop. Finding a new model laptop with a built in optical drive is the exception, not the rule, and when I build towers I only put a drive in if the customer specifically says yes when I ask them.

Thankfully external USB CD-ROM readers have already become a dime a dozen! CD is going the way of the floppy disk. I have mixed feelings about it, that 700 meg storage is still decent for most purposes, but they are so goddamn delicate.

(This is a tangent but I'm so glad in hindsight that the n64 went with carts rather than CDs because the difference in durability is night and day. I remember being annoyed even as a kid that everyone was acting like CDs were the second coming because I'm a klutz who drops shit and when it comes to CDs I have a skill for accidentally damaging them.. Even floppies were more durable!!)

3 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Definitely not. At least not here in New Zealand. I sell computers at my shop. Finding a new model laptop with a built in optical drive is the exception, not the rule, and when I build towers I only put a drive in if the customer specifically says yes when I ask them.

So what options do your drive-less customers have when they want to restore the OS on their machines?

12 minutes ago, NoXion said:

So what options do your drive-less customers have when they want to restore the OS on their machines?

With Windows 10 restore discs are pointless. You can download the installer to USB at any time. It almost always not only picks up the previous product key but installs drivers too. I could count the number of times it's missed a driver on one hand.

Also if they got to the point of needing a windows reinstall 99% of my customers would just call me anyway. They are not confident enough to do it themselves.