Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old-Doomguy

Gzdoom pistol start?

I'm just wondering how I enable pistol start in gzdoom. Haven't found an option for it. 

Bonus question : do you enjoy pistol start in iwads and pwads? Always or sometimes or never?

There's no option to force pistol starts in Gzdoom (which I think would be nice, but alas). Instead, you can IDCLEVxx to a map after you start it to reset your inventory and whatnot.

12 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

There's no option to force pistol starts in Gzdoom (which I think would be nice, but alas). Instead, you can IDCLEVxx to a map after you start it to reset your inventory and whatnot.

Okay, thanks man. Yeah, that's the way I've been doing it - just thought there was a more convenient way. 

@m8f made an excellent mod for GZDoom that does exactly what you're after Old-Doomguy; see "IDCLEVer Starter" from this thread:

You can bind a key to the console command "map *", which pistol starts the map you're on. In the console, I entered: 

bind Home "map *"

59 minutes ago, Old-Doomguy said:

Bonus question : do you enjoy pistol start in iwads and pwads? Always or sometimes or never?

Yes and almost always.

41 minutes ago, Old-Doomguy said:

just thought there was a more convenient way. 

It is more convenient to disable autosaving and then deleting every savegame. You can find autosaving in the miscellaneous options if I remember correctly.

Spoiler

Oops, I had two threads opened at once and wrote the comment in the wrong one. But the comment would still be useful for many people.

I really can't understand why this feature hasn't been added to GZDoom to this day... I mean GZDoom is all about features and customizability after all, and "pistol start after death" has been a highly requested feature for years. But most importantly it could've been added so easily at least to more recent builds.

For those who know how to compile source code:

1. Download GZDoom 4.7.1 source code.

2. Go to \src\menu\doommenu.cpp

3. Ctrl+F "CVAR(Bool, m_simpleoptions, true, CVAR_ARCHIVE|CVAR_GLOBALCONFIG)"

and add

CVAR(Bool, pistolstartafterdeath, false, CVAR_ARCHIVE|CVAR_GLOBALCONFIG)

below that line. Save changes.

4. Go to \src\g_game.cpp

5. Ctrl+F "EXTERN_CVAR(Bool, sv_singleplayerrespawn)"

and add

EXTERN_CVAR(Bool, pistolstartafterdeath)

after that line.

6. Ctrl+F "if (BackupSaveName.Len() > 0 && FileExists (BackupSaveName.GetChars()))"

and change that line to

if (BackupSaveName.Len() > 0 && FileExists (BackupSaveName.GetChars()) && !pistolstartafterdeath)

7. Compile the source code.

8. Open console in game and write "pistolstartafterdeath 1".

I seriously have no idea how this option might've been the problem (given how you could simply turn it off if you don't need it in some mods/wads). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by PKr

I’m not a fan of the “map *” command because it resets the playtime.

I’d rather kill myself - with a pointblank rocket! Or get wrecked by the nearest baddie/painfloor.

@Tango also linked a great mod.