Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
⇛Marnetmar⇛

Asian giant hornets have reached the US

Alright, Billy Badass. Let's see you punch a fucking swarm of wasps to death you absolute dipshit. I would hate to see the inevitable conclusion to that. 

6 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

i can club the shit out of every single hornet if they come in my way. there's no point in living if you can't fight something that's smaller than your "left nut", dude

Real life doesn't have V.A.T.S. bruh. You can't fight a swarm with a blunt object; the hornets will settle for latching onto your legs and arms...good luck getting them off with one hand as the rest attack your other side. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet#Effects_of_stings_on_humans

Advice in China is that people stung more than 10 times need medical help, and need emergency treatment for more than 30 stings. The stings can cause kidney failure.

In 2013, stings by Asian giant hornets killed 41 people and injured more than 1,600 people in Shaanxi, China.

Fatalities from envenomation are primarily related to anaphylactic shock or cardiac arrest. Deaths have occurred as a result of multiple organ failure, typically after a large number of stings.

All sting victims exhibited signs of skin hemorrhaging and necrosis, though both are otherwise rare. The two likely reasons for skin hemorrhaging and necrosis are an inability to effectively neutralize the venom, or unusually potent venom toxicity for that set of stings. In either case, these stings lead to multiple organ injury. While not everyone displayed lesions or necrosis, a strong correlation existed between the number of stings and the severity of injury. Those who died, on average, were stung 59 times (with a standard deviation of 12), while those who survived suffered 28 stings (with a standard deviation of 4).

So, yeah, they're a big threat. They don't actually cause 35 deaths a year like I claimed, just anywhere from 12 to 26 a year. My bad. It's still otherwise every bit as dangerous as I mentioned. Just because it's not the size of a Grizzly Bear doesn't mean it poses no threat. Don't be a meathead.

Just now, Mr. Freeze said:

Real life doesn't have V.A.T.S. bruh. You can't fight a swarm with a blunt object; the hornets will settle for latching onto your legs and arms...good luck getting them off with one hand as the rest attack your other side. 

if hornets attack me, i'll assure you i'll film my process of eliminating each and every single one of them. i promise you this

4 minutes ago, Maggle said:

Just because it's not the size of a Grizzly Bear doesn't mean it poses no threat. Don't be a meathead.

Basically this. Heck, some other creatures don't even have to look threatening to pose a threat as well.

4 minutes ago, Maggle said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet#Effects_of_stings_on_humans

So, yeah, they're a big threat. They don't actually cause 35 deaths a year like I claimed, just anywhere from 12 to 26 a year. My bad. It's still otherwise every bit as dangerous as I mentioned. Just because it's not the size of a Grizzly Bear doesn't mean it poses no threat. Don't be a meathead.

not only are the fatalities (even more) miniscule, but to add more salt you need a buttload of stings AND you have to purposefully disturb them in order for them to attack you. even with such large numbers, i don't think this is anything worth panicking about. as i said, it happens often

30 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

it'd be pretty embarrassing knowing you somehow, some way, in this world, you died to something that is weak and effectively harmless. unless you're an old person that is

the reason why shark attacks are low because sharks don't usually swim to coasts, but that doesn't make sharks any less dangerous/incapable. bad analogy

What exactly are you compensating for 

1 minute ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

not only are the fatalities (even more) miniscule, but to add more salt you need a buttload of stings AND you have to purposefully disturb them in order for them to attack you. even with such large numbers, i don't think this is anything worth panicking about. as i said, it happens often

Where does it say anything about "purposely disturbing" them? They're fucking hornets. They are one of the most intensely territorial animals on the planet and will nest on your porch. How do you not know this basic fact!? Also, nice skating past the statistic of them killing 41 people and injuring over a thousand in a city in China. If there were that many shark attacks on Miami Beach, what do you think the reaction would be?

1 minute ago, Maggle said:

Where does it say anything about "purposely disturbing" them? They're fucking hornets. They are one of the most intensely territorial animals on the planet and will nest on your porch. How do you not know this basic fact!?

..your own source

Li Jiuzhou, deputy director of the Shaanxi Bee and Wasp Industry Association, said that hundreds or even thousands of hornets could live in a single nest. They attack humans only if disturbed, he added. But they are carnivorous and can quickly destroy bee colonies.

2 minutes ago, Maggle said:

Also, nice skating past the statistic of them killing 41 people and injuring over a thousand in a city in China. If there were that many shark attacks on Miami Beach, what do you think the reaction would be?

it isn't that hard to realize china's demographics and setting. condensed population would mean more casualties and injured. the "most affected areas" according to your source are all dense.

5 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

..your own source

Li Jiuzhou, deputy director of the Shaanxi Bee and Wasp Industry Association, said that hundreds or even thousands of hornets could live in a single nest. They attack humans only if disturbed, he added. But they are carnivorous and can quickly destroy bee colonies.

You realize disturb in many cases with these bugs means just walking past them, right? Hornets favor outcroppings and areas where they are hidden, so you could be walking into an area where there is a hornet's nest and not realize until it's too late and they're attacking you. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with aggression. Notice how Li Jiuzhou did not say "Oh, those people were all just dumbasses trying to kick a hornet's nest. LMAOOOO FUCK 'EM!"

it isn't that hard to realize china's demographics and setting. condensed population would mean more casualties and injured. the "most affected areas" according to your source are all dense.

Oh, so China's densely populated, therefore who cares that 41 people were killed by an ****INSECT!!!!!!**** Inside of a year? Nice goalpost shift. You know what else is densely populated? Seattle. Vancouver.

And it's not like there isn't a very similar statistic applied to an ENTIRE COUNTRY. Oh, wait, there is! And I provided that one as well, but that figure is too small for Edgy Skeleton Man, so it doesn't count, either. How Convenient! I guess we have to wait until these things kill a quarter million people in East Siberia before Edgy Skeleton Man will give a shit.

By the way, I know you're trying really hard to aggressively assert your masculinity, but a swarm of angry wasps is something you can't effectively defend yourself from with anything short of maybe a flamethrower. So your idea of beating them all down with a baseball bat is nothing more than a wild fantasy.

Holding a baseball bat the standard way would be way too slow, even against a single skilled person.   Holding it by the thicker end actually makes it a quicker weapon but still not fast enough to deal with a horde of killer hornets.

55 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

if hornets attack me, i'll assure you i'll film my process of eliminating each and every single one of them. i promise you this

1 hour ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

i can club the shit out of every single hornet if they come in my way. there's no point in living if you can't fight something that's smaller than your "left nut", dude

Does this apply to other small things, like germs? Can we get a video of you trying to beat up the common cold?

10 minutes ago, Maggle said:

You realize disturb in many cases with these bugs means just walking past them, right? Hornets favor outcroppings and areas where they are hidden, so you could be walking into an area where there is a hornet's nest and not realize until it's too late and they're attacking you. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with aggression. Notice how Li Jiuzhou did not say "Oh, those people were all just dumbasses trying to kick a hornet's nest. LMAOOOO FUCK 'EM!"

1) he never said any of this

2) there's no source on how aggressive asian giant hornets are; and their nests are identifiable

3) you're blind if you can't see their nests

12 minutes ago, Maggle said:

Oh, so China's densely populated, therefore who cares that 41 people were killed by an ****INSECT!!!!!!**** Inside of a year? Nice goalpost shift. You know what else is densely populated? Seattle. Vancouver.

nothing remotely "goalshifting". the reason why china had ""high"" casualties is because it's super dense country, especially in the north, central and eastern regions. seattle and vancouver don't compare to this

13 minutes ago, Maggle said:

And it's not like there isn't a very similar statistic applied to an ENTIRE COUNTRY. Oh, wait, there is! And I provided that one as well, but that figure is too small for Edgy Skeleton Man, so it doesn't count, either. How Convenient! I guess we have to wait until these things kill a quarter million people in East Siberia before Edgy Skeleton Man will give a shit.

the "entire country" had significantly lower casualties and injuries, and they even had some dense areas but not to the extent of china

also, if you plan on arguing, try speaking like a human. it shouldn't be much of an offer

15 minutes ago, Maggle said:

By the way, I know you're trying really hard to aggressively assert your masculinity, but a swarm of angry wasps is something you can't effectively defend yourself from with anything short of maybe a flamethrower. So your idea of beating them all down with a baseball bat is nothing more than a wild fantasy.

flamethrowers r 4 pussies. i don't cheat like that

Just now, esselfortium said:

Does this also apply to microscopic things like germs?

No.

Just now, esselfortium said:

Can we get a video of you trying to beat up the common cold?

maybe

10 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

1) he never said any of this

2) there's no source on how aggressive asian giant hornets are; and their nests are identifiable

3) you're blind if you can't see their nests

Wow, on top of being able to beat an entire colony of wasps to death with his fists and dropkick COVID, Edgy Skeleton Man can also magically see past outcroppings before he's under them. Must have X-Ray vision or something!

nothing remotely "goalshifting". the reason why china had ""high"" casualties is because it's super dense country, especially in the north, central and eastern regions. seattle and vancouver don't compare to this

China and Japan being densely populated is irrelevant when the only thing being discussed is "people get killed by giant hornets sometimes". How are these things connected at all? Like it doesn't count unless they're living in the middle of West Bumblefuck? It's a terrible argument.

the "entire country" had significantly lower casualties and injuries, and they even had some dense areas but not to the extent of china

also, if you plan on arguing, try speaking like a human. it shouldn't be much of an offer

Yeah, argue like a human! Like using "I will record myself beating up a swarm of wasps on video!!!" as an actual argument.

flamethrowers r 4 pussies. i don't cheat like that

Ok. Good luck!

Just now, Maggle said:

Wow, on top of being able to beat an entire colony of wasps to death with his fists and dropkick COVID, Edgy Skeleton Man can also magically see past outcroppings before he's under them. Must have X-Ray vision or something!

18 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

1 minute ago, Maggle said:

China and Japan being densely populated is irrelevant when the only thing being discussed is "people get killed by giant hornets sometimes". How are these things connected at all? Like it doesn't count unless they're living in the middle of West Bumblefuck? It's a terrible argument.

more ppl = more casualties. more population density = more casualties. more ppl + more density = casualties^2.

is this clear enough? or do i need to steep lower to explain simple things

Yeah, argue like a human! Like using "I will record myself beating up a swarm of wasps on video!!!" as an actual argument.

yknow it was never intended to be one, yeah? if it was, i'm sure talking about my skeleton penis isn't an argument either

Ok. Good luck!

that's the kind of optimism i want to see

6 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

more ppl = more casualties. more population density = more casualties.

Not Necessarily.

more ppl + more density = casualties^2.

What's this equation you pulled out of your ass got to do with anything? Only one that matters is Casualties = Casualties.

is this clear enough? or do i need to steep lower to explain simple things

I don't give a fuck. People are people, regardless of whether they live in a big city or not. Also, major metropolitan areas are more likely to have data on certain things because there's more people to record data and there are more universities in those areas where people make their living recording data, so that has a lot more to do with it than "population density". I'm sure there are plenty of Murder Hornet deaths in rural China, especially since it's harder to get medical care there. But it's not recorded with anywhere near as much accuracy. It's impossible to know exactly how many deaths there are from hornet attacks, because many of these deaths may happen in the woods, with no one around to see or help them. You just want any excuse possible to ignore any evidence to the contrary of your preconceived conclusion that wasps are literally harmless and no one has ever died from a wasp sting ever, when it's just not true.

Bragging that you can punch out a hornet is such a weird way to establish notoriety in a community centered around punching out demons.

As a legitimate beekeeper in the US, thats terrifying. Honeybees are having a hard enough time with Colony Colapse Disorder and regular sized wasp raids. cant imagine how a hive could defend against one of those things littlelone a group.

Japanese HoneyBees have learned a technique for dealing with them where they all pile on top of the Hornet at once and vibrate, generating enough heat to kill it. But that doesn't always work out, and our honeybees have not had to deal with this species of wasp, so it will take them a while to figure out that method, if they ever do.