Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalaeth

recommend me some old games

Got my retropie up and running again, and I'm looking for games up till the PlayStation 1 era, preferably with multiplayer (either hotseat or splitscreen) so I an play them with the GF, and eventually when this is all over we can play with guests. 

Already have a pretty decent library but I'm always looking for more :D

One of my favorite multiplayer games of all time would have to be Rampart. Blast your opponents castle walls apart and then try to repair your own and capture new land with Tetris-style blocks before the time runs out. The more land you have the more firepower you get but naturally the harder it is to repair. A simple game and a blast to play. It was released for basically every system under the sun at the time but my friends and I prefer the NES release for whatever reason.

Here's a 3-way match of the Arcade version:

I'm a huge fan of the 3 oldschool Nintendo systems, so I'll leave a few recommendations for each, all should run just fun on a retropie!

NES:

-Battletoads is a good 2 player beat em up (There's also Battletoads + Double Dragon)

-There's a sweet 2 player hack of the first Super Mario, loads of fun

-There's a hacked rom called Rick and Morty that is a surprisingly fun overhead shooter

-River City Ransom is basic compared to Battletoads, but still enjoyable

-Marble madness is just a simple arcade game, but racing eachother can get really competitive

-Micro Machines is a fun little racer

SNES:

-Final Fight 3

-Street Fighter 2

-Mortal Kombat 2

-Super Off-Road (very underrated!)

-Smash TV

-Zombies Ate my Neighbors

-NBA Jam

-Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension

-Kirby Superstar

-Super Mario Kart

-TMNT IV, Turtles in Time

N64:

-Like the first Super Mario, there's an awesome 2 player hack for Mario 64

-Mario Kart

-Mario Party Trilogy

-Diddy Kong Racing

-Super Smash Bros

-Goldeneye

-Perfect Dark

-F-Zero X

-Pokemon Stadium 2

-SF Rush and Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA

-Wave Race

I only included multiplayer-oriented stuff. If you have any trouble at all locating any of these games, feel free to shoot me a PM. I know there are loads of great 2 player Genesis and PS1 games as well, but I was brainwashed by Nintendo as a kid so I can't list them off the same way. I know there have to be good multiplayer recommendations for Gen and PS1 out there though! All I can think of right now are Sonic 2 and Twisted Metal, which are both also very fun.

Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 96 - Mega Drive/Genesis

International Track & Field - PlayStation

Sunset Riders - MAME

Sensible World of Soccer European Championship Edition - PC

13 hours ago, Spie812 said:

One of my favorite multiplayer games of all time would have to be Rampart. Blast your opponents castle walls apart and then try to repair your own and capture new land with Tetris-style blocks before the time runs out. The more land you have the more firepower you get but naturally the harder it is to repair. A simple game and a blast to play. It was released for basically every system under the sun at the time but my friends and I prefer the NES release for whatever reason.

[...]

ok, this looks fun!  will try.

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I'm a huge fan of the 3 oldschool Nintendo systems, so I'll leave a few recommendations for each, all should run just fun on a retropie!

NES:[...]

SNES:[...]

N64: [...]

(....) Sonic 2 and Twisted Metal, which are both also very fun.

those are a lot of games! Already had Micro Machines (for SNES) and Marble Madness, got myself the rest. Won't be getting the N64 games, I have the Raspberry Pi 2 and n64 games tend to get too laggy (besides, I don't have a good controller for them :\)

1 hour ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 96 - Mega Drive/Genesis

International Track & Field - PlayStation

Sunset Riders - MAME

Sensible World of Soccer European Championship Edition - PC

Didn't know the Mega Drive version, will be getting that, as well as the PS1 recommendation, and I will try the MAME one too. Sensible Soccer I think I already have, but PC games don't play too well (I'l have to connect a keyboard and try one of this days)

Thanks to all three of you!

I have already proven more than enough that I'm a huge fanboy of the series... But I still cannot recommend enough the MMX trilogy for the SNES.

Patlabor (PS1)

Jellyfish (PS1)

Blast Win (Sega Saturn)

Dragoball Z Budokai 3

Robotech Battlecry

Aero Blasters (PCE)

Sin and Punishment 2

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga

Neon Genesis Evangelion 64

Ridge Racer 4

Quake trilogy

Half Life games

Axelay (SNES)

Victorious Boxers Revolution

Misty Blue (PC-98)

Drakengard games

Toe Jam & Earl

Diablo trilogy

Viewtiful Joe

Streets of Rage

Dragon Quest Swords

Medieval 2: Total War

Super Mario War

Sands of Destruction (NDS)

Infinite Space (NDS)

Boku no Natsuyasumi 

Ninja Baseball Bat Man

Tokyo Jungle

Nanostray trilogy

Power Stone games

DND Dark Sun games

Neverwinter Nights games

Fable games

Phantasy Star 1 to 4

System Shock games

Ninja Gaiden Black

Tomba games

Knights of Honour 

Asterix (Megadrive)

Star Soldier Vanishing Earth

Initial D Extreme Stage

Initial S Arcade Stage 4

Luigi's Mansion games

Alien Trilogy (PS1)

Sengoku 3

Time Crisis games

Deadstorm Pirates

DDR Revolution 2

Ryori no Tatsujin 2

Alien vs Predator (arcade)

Cruis'n Blast (arcade)

Frontier Elite II

Metal Slug games

Contra III

Tank! Tank! Tank!

Tokyo Wars (Arcade)

Kidou Senshi Gundam Destiny Seed

Policenauts 

Super Robot Wars games

Meteos

X-Men Legends II

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter

Lost Planet trilogy

Tales of games

Mizurna Falls

Warcraft triligy

XIII

Drone Tactics (DS)

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Street Fighter II Turbo

The King of Fighters EX- Neo Blood

Genji (PS2)

Capcom vs SNK 2

Capcom vs Tatsunoko (WII)

Everquest II

Kaiju Busters

Vampire Nights (NDS)

Bangai-O Spirits

Ant Nation (NDS)

MGS 1 to 5

Metal Gear Solid Acid games

Metal Gear Solid Portable

Metal Gear 2 (MSX)

Onimusha games

Prince of Persia games

F-Zero X

Twinsen's Odyssey 

Castlevania games

Ni No Kuni games

Ace Combat games

The Dark Spire (NDS)

LittleBigPlanet trilogy

Gunslinger Stratos 3 (arcade)

Shatterhand (NES)

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor trilogy

Sonic Roboblast 2 

Sakura Taisen

Bomberman 93

Bomberman SNES games

Bomberman Neo

Miami Law (DS)

Mario Slam Basketball

Cowboy Bebop (PS2)

Super Monkey Ball games

Etrian Odyssey trilogy

and finally DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

This'll keep you busy for a while.

4 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

[...] a shitload of games [...]

This'll keep you busy for a while.

damn. Will look at that tomorrow and find some of them :D

A ton of new River City / Nekketsu games happen to be on Steam, but there was an awesome load of them on Japanese NES/Famicom.   GOG's search is currently confusing me as any game seems to come up in their search whether they have it or not.  Also the 8-bit NES Super Off Road is 4 four player while the 16-bit ones are only 2 player.   Of course the 16-bit ones have better gfx and sounds except they changed the music to make them Toyota commercials.   Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat is a very similar 4 player game on NES.   There's also Nintendo World Cup (which I made hacks of such as Supa Dupa World Cup)   Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu and Kunio's Soccer Leagure are amazing 4 player Famicom games.

4 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Also the 8-bit NES Super Off Road is 4 four player while the 16-bit ones are only 2 player.   Of course the 16-bit ones have better gfx and sounds except they changed the music to make them Toyota commercials.

I always assumed Super Offroad had 4 player support as a kid, I just never had a multitap. I guess it's a good thing I didn't since it'd have been a waste of money! It's so dumb that the SNES version is inferior to the NES one in that regard.

If all the planets align and my dad, brother and I were all in one place, we'd definitely play it for a while. I'll know to go for the NES one whenever that happens.

from that looong list, I already have a few, got a few others and wish to say only that bomberman is awesome for party play :D

re: Offroad, I had it on my computer as a kid and also have it on my retropie (I think the SNES version, might grab me the NES one as well, if the SNES is 2 player only)

re:Zelda : Ocarina of Time plays decently in the emulator but Majoras Mask doesn't :/ 

Nothing brings people together quite like side scrolling beat 'em ups. Final Fight and Aliens vs. Predator from the arcades, and the Streets of Rage series for the Mega Drive/Genesis. You can find Final Fight as part of the "Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle" and the Streets of Rage series in Sega's Genesis/Mega Drive Classics packs on Steam if you want to be legit.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:17 PM, Spie812 said:

Oh my god, I played a clone of this on a browser looong time ago with some friends. Thanks for letting me know about the source of it, will definitely give this a shot soon.

For NES, I also recommend Super C. It's essentially a sequel to Contra, but it's just much better in my opinion with smoother physics and banger soundtrack.

8 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

Try Patlabor for the SFC and PS1, based of a Mecha anime. Really good my guy.

I know and love Patlabor, seen the entire show (all two versions) more than once :D will try and find the game, it seems cool.

6 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Nothing brings people together quite like side scrolling beat 'em ups. Final Fight and Aliens vs. Predator from the arcades, and the Streets of Rage series for the Mega Drive/Genesis. You can find Final Fight as part of the "Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle" and the Streets of Rage series in Sega's Genesis/Mega Drive Classics packs on Steam if you want to be legit.

I am, strangely enough, not a fan of beat em ups.. But I do want to find Golden Axe for nostalgia factors and I always end up getting a couple of those games for when people visit (when they are allowed to). Oh and I have played Alien vs. Predator, not bad for a side scrolling beat em up :D

5 hours ago, Mara said:

[...]

For NES, I also recommend Super C. It's essentially a sequel to Contra, but it's just much better in my opinion with smoother physics and banger soundtrack.

Is it also less impossible? If so, I'll try and find it (already have Contra, I think III)

6 hours ago, kalaeth said:

Is it also less impossible?

Some people say it's definitely harder than its predecessor but I don't know. Hard to say myself, feel free to be the judge.

Spoiler

That AREA5 brainfart though.

@Marayou make it look easier, but I' pretty sure I'd fail very hard at it... Although it  does appear to have less missile spawn at the beginning.

Those overhead levels look really cool though! 

Glad I gave you an excuse to play a game you obviously love xD And speaking of it, the dudes who made this game should check out a movie called Alien, they'd love it too :D