Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AngelFlash

Angel Flash's Maps, my first releases to the public

Posted (edited)

So I've been into Doom mapping since about 2016, but I never made anything without seriously knowing what I was really doing until recently. These aren't exactly my very first maps, but they're the first that I've ever put effort into, and the first that I've ever uploaded online. I don't really have a name for the pack yet, but I'm hoping to add more to the project later on. Since these are my first real maps, I welcome any feedback at all when it comes to bugs, difficulty, detail, etc..

There's 4 maps, all of them ranging from short to medium length. They're meant to be played in order. The story has a very loose theme of "Demons woke you up from a very long sleep. Find out why."

Requirements/Technical:

• REQUIRES THE LATEST VERSION OF GZDOOM. Certain elements of the maps become broken because there's no lighting or portals if you aren't running it.
  • Make sure you launch the game with lights.pk3 and brightmaps.pk3.
  • In Display Options, sector lighting is recommended to be set to "Doom", because that's what I tested it in.
  • The only difficulty I tested it in is "Hurt Me Plenty", but you're welcome to try it in any of the other ones. 
  • Doesn't work with Brutal Doom v21, for some reason, certain doors don't open when using it.
  • No jumping or crouching.
  • Use Doom II as the Iwad.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200503_134256.png.ea50f5bc38d4e8644badb7bb4325b734.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200503_134358.png.64312f6b7824c03f17140ae567cc5824.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200503_134535.png.d82f59a4238bdfdee56888dbad91dea1.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200503_134652.png.6b95186f50287863e61d648a837a05dd.png

RumiaMapsPublicV1.2.zip

Edited by AngelFlash : updated files

On a side note, I just worked on a map in Doombuilder for like an hour, went to change something in Slade, and when I went back to the map in Doombuilder all my progress was reset because I had an earlier version of the wad loaded in Slade. :)

19 minutes ago, AngelFlash said:

On a side note, I just worked on a map in Doombuilder for like an hour, went to change something in Slade, and when I went back to the map in Doombuilder all my progress was reset because I had an earlier version of the wad loaded in Slade. :)

It tends to happen to me, did you have both Doom Builder and SLADE3 open? If so, never do that, it's one or the another, I learnt that after like three or four times lol

(The worst that happened to me mapping-wise was losing 2 weeks of work both on scripts and maps, so I get your pain D:)

I'll see if I can play this sometime!

If you want blood and gore, use ketchup test, my personal favorite being version 4, it adds blood and gore without changing the gameplay, find it on moddb

Posted (edited)

Much like Clippy, I get stuck on Level 1 where there seems to be no red key?

Edit: Looking at the map I see there is a red key, and I think there are supposed to be teleporters starting in the room with the Cacodemon? Didn't work for me.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Degree23 said:

Much like Clippy, I get stuck on Level 1 where there seems to be no red key?

Edit: Looking at the map I see there is a red key, and I think there are supposed to be teleporters starting in the room with the Cacodemon? Didn't work for me.

Whew glad it's just not me

That's weird because they work just fine for me. What ports are you running it on?

1 hour ago, AngelFlash said:

That's weird because they work just fine for me. What ports are you running it on?

Try playing in UV

Maybe you left a teleport destination as HMP plenty or something

I played through on UV.

Map 1 - You could accomplish the teleporting with standard lines, which would work in more ports, though maybe that isn't the effect you want. I just noclipped through to finish the map. Nice music!

Map 2 - Again, nice music. I don't know if it's what you intend, but the lifts in this level don't descend exactly to the level of the floor, there's always a small step up. It doesn't break anything though, and it's just personal preference.

Map 3 - My favourite music from this WAD. Do you intend for the switches to lower the SSG/Berserk to be accessible from the floor? I wasn't really sure what the intention was for it, but you can hit them from the floor.

Map 4 - Awesome map. I can't find the 5th secret. I got the Light Amplification Visor and Soul Sphere in the lower section, and the BFG/Megasphere near the end, but can't find the other one. The long bridge where you look like you go through a huge portal with the changing sky looks amazing! I loved the final room, it was a great fight. You can stand on the penultimate section and just shoot at the Cyberdemons without them being able to return fire due to the height. If you made the Cyberdemon floor a bit higher, or lowered the platform a bit, that would avoid this happening.

Overall these were really fun to play through!

Alright I'll be raising the cyberdemon floors up higher so you can't cheese them to death.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:13 PM, Degree23 said:

I can't find the 5th secret. I got the Light Amplification Visor and Soul Sphere in the lower section, and the BFG/Megasphere near the end, but can't find the other one. 

Oops, 5th secret was also in that little room with the soulsphere. It was on the other side of the line that teleports you when you cross it, so it's impossible to get to. Fixed that and got rid of the secret.

I also just noticed that on the 4th map, where you have radiation suits the acid floors don't actually seem to be damaging?

I really liked your maps. Keep up the good work. The background music was fantastic and there was no frenzy when playing. In contrast to the Map Unsure by the author Van Daemon, which I played through before. I hope there is more to come from you in this direction.

When will you bring the update to map 4 with the Secret and the Cyber Demons? I'd like to make a video of that as well.

Here are the videos of the first 3 maps. All 100% and in 4K.

Angel Flash's Maps - Episode 01 - Map 01 - Cenotaph - [100 %]

Angel Flash's Maps - Episode 01 - Map 02 - Crypt Ceepers - [100 %]

Angel Flash's Maps - Episode 01 - Map 03 - Cyberpunk Graverobbers - [100 %]

6 hours ago, Degree23 said:

I also just noticed that on the 4th map, where you have radiation suits the acid floors don't actually seem to be damaging?

You sure? They all work fine for me.

4 hours ago, Neobis said:

I really liked your maps. Keep up the good work. The background music was fantastic and there was no frenzy when playing. In contrast to the Map Unsure by the author Van Daemon, which I played through before. I hope there is more to come from you in this direction.

When will you bring the update to map 4 with the Secret and the Cyber Demons? I'd like to make a video of that as well.

Thanks! As soon as I'm done posting this, I'll be updating the file to include the updated MAP04 with fixed secrets and a (hopefully) less cheese-able final battle. I'm also changing the working title to RumiaMaps, which is a little bit easier on the tongue.

Well trust me, I've definitely just been standing on it for the last 15 seconds straight with no radiation suit, and I'm taking no damage at all.