Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

How do DOOM 2 deaths work?

I find the assumption that Mancubi are female to be hilarious. I have to guess the OP is into extra large BBWs to draw such a conclusion!

7 hours ago, LordBehemoth said:

I thought imps were female as well?

Now, this one we can prove simply by shooting them. They fall to the ground spread-eagle and present the goods (or lack thereof) to the player directly. I always assumed this funny choice with the sprite was partially inspiration for all those old stories about Doomguy getting lonely and fucking imps. I've never heard such stories about Macubi. Well, til Job changed his avatar a few years back..

Edited by Doomkid

7 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

No, Man in Mancubus refers to this,

it is referring to Homo sapien. 

Then how do you come into conclusion that a mancubus is a female?

Chaingunners are re-animated corpses. They've already been damaged and starting to decay. So it's not impossible that the killing blow - whatever the method - will destroy the fragile body. 

Mancubi are made of decayed flesh and skin, and the final blow rends it away. 

The caco is probably very soft, only muscles and organs. That's why the eye pops out when the all muscles are relaxed after death. 

The doomguy is probably killed due to being attacked where the armor won't protect him - ie the throat. This goes way back to when armor first started to being used. 

11 hours ago, User Name said:

Bruh! Revenants have spiked knuckles.

I did not know that.

9 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Then how do you come into conclusion that a mancubus is a female?

I guess I thought succubus. but maybe demons don't have sexes.

18 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

This was just supposed to be a fun little thing to dissect the deaths of demons. Could we possibly not fight?

*Scoops up ashes of Doomworld*

Look at this. We could have built a new Krypton in this squalor but you chose the Mancubus titties over us.

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I guess I thought succubus. but maybe demons don't have sexes.

you're like literally contradicting yourself here.

mancubus' name is derived from incubus (literally the male counterpart to succubus) with man as the prefix.

10 minutes ago, User Name said:

*Scoops up ashes of Doomworld*

Look at this. We could have built a new Krypton in this squalor but you chose the Mancubus titties over us.

Oh the humantitties!

28 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

you're like literally contradicting yourself here.

mancubus' name is derived from incubus (literally the male counterpart to succubus) with man as the prefix.

Because I searched it up online, and some website said that it wasn't a female. Guess me wuz wrroonnng.

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I find the assumption that Mancubi are female to be hilarious. I have to guess the OP is into extra large BBWs to draw such a conclusion!

SSBBW

24 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

SSBBW

Not sure what that means?

9 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Google it and find out.

Must... Not... Post... Ackbar meme!

If we're looking for in-universe justification (which would involve a bit of imagination on the player's part) I tend to like the idea that the particularly gruesome deaths of the hellspawn to have something to do with some sort of evil hellmagicks dissipating, therefor no longer holding together the flesh of the bodies that hosted them.

When one thinks about the artistic motivation/development though, I've seen this phrase shared numerous times on this forum before, The Rule of Cool. It looks great and is very satisfying. Especially when it comes to some of the more punishing enemies in Doom/Doom2; 

• Chaingunner being a glass cannon, he practically gibs regardless of weapon strength. He can be a real pain in the ass to deal with if he catches you by surprise or you're ill prepared, so watching him kind of "pop" is pretty relieving/vindicating.
  • Lost Soul, especially with the concept of the Pain Elemental in mind, was spawned into existence, and upon death is ultimately despawned. Perhaps it was explosive in nature? Perhaps due to there being upwards of 21 lost souls in one map (provided a pain elemental kept spawning em after you killed them) and performance issues may arise with lost soul bodies littered all over. LS can also be a bit of a pain, certainly an annoyance, and the takeaway I get from them just bursting out of existence is a sort of banishment, "get out of my face, disappear why don't you?". Pretty satisfying.
  • Mancubi's death is pretty gross too, but feels great with him being a somewhat mid-high tier enemy. Rewarding.
  • I'd like to point out the Archvile's death as well, arguably to some, one of the more fearsome (semi)common enemies that one may face. Archvile's death animation is a bit pathetic, he kind of just folds onto the ground. Add on the "WHYYYY" death sound, and I think it goes lengths to give the player a sense of domination over such a threatening enemy.

I think it's valuable to consider the artist motivation as well.

From what I have come to understand, Adrian had been waiting for a project like Doom to fully outlet his penchant for gore/horror themed art. With Wolf3D, he and the others were pretty jazzed with the amount of gore in that, which was not seen a whole lot in the games they played. He had grown tired of working within the constraints of semi-realism with Wolf3D, and Doom gave him full reign. I think a lot of why the death animations are the way they are are largely due to this. Adrian was motivated to make gruesome and shocking death sequences primarily because he was provided the freedom to do so, some limitations notwithstanding. I think this perspective ties well with the Doom Marine's slit-throat death sequence, make it as shocking and brutal as he could within the constraints of the artistic direction/engine's limitations.

Of course a good portion of this is just my take and speculation, but I think it's a cool topic to think about and discuss, because the affects of these animations can really provide payoff for the gameplay. Sometimes, like I imagine many of us do, I'll just go to town blowing my ammo on a horde of enemies simply for the satisfaction of watching that Arachnotron's brain burst, or the Hell Knight unravel into a weird pile of intestines.