Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AleksB

PrBoom Plus as main sourceport

Hey everyone..

I had a question about this sourceport, Im trying to use this as my main way of playing and I can only get Doom 2, Plutonia and Tnt to run.  But Doom one wont work.  It just tries to load Doom 2 when I try to load the first Doom.  Ive been trying to mess with creating batch files and messing with the .cfg but nothing seems to be working.  Can anyone help me get into the right direction?  I wanna play my own custom wads and others as well and I cant figure out how to get those to work either.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks everyone

Also, you can activate a simple in-game launcher from Options\General\Miscellaneous and change "Use in-game launcher" to Smart or Always. This allows you to select iwads and, if i recall correctly, pwads (in the same folder as prboom+) as well.

On 5/17/2020 at 1:23 AM, Valboom said:

Download ZDL (Doom Launcher)

Did that and when I loaded doom, It had alot of HOM's.  Doom 1 loaded up but the main title screen came up as doom 2.  Also tried to load one of my own maps and i got an error that said no ML_VERTEXES lump.

1 minute ago, AleksB said:

Did that and when I loaded doom, It had alot of HOM's.  Doom 1 loaded up but the main title screen came up as doom 2.  Also tried to load one of my own maps and i got an error that said no ML_VERTEXES lump.

Sounds like you tried to load DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD to DOOM.WAD whereas it has to be loaded as an IWAD.

3 minutes ago, fabian said:

Sounds like you tried to load DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD to DOOM.WAD whereas it has to be loaded as an IWAD.

Just looked top make sure, I have the sourceport as prboom, Iwad is doom 2 and my external is my wad. 

AS for doom 1, I have prboom as sourceport and doom 1 as my iwad.

Sometimes, the doom.wad got overwritten by doom2.wad, because the user (or installation) was lazy about using -iwad switches.

Other times there may be an indirection that points doom.wad at doom2.wad, for the same reason.

>> wadwhat doom1.wad

It should show you maps E1M1 through E1M9, and with doom2 it will show MAP01 through MAP32.

The string "E1M1" is found in doom1.wad, but the string "MAP01" is found in doom2.wad.

grep "E1M1" doom.wad

I could not get the exact message you were getting, but the crossed wad combinations I tested got this.

If I run (using doomlegacy because I cannot do this with prboom)

Note: -game forces the game logic selection.

Note: -iwad  loads the file as an  IWAD, overriding the iwad selected by game.

Note: -file adds the wad content as a PWAD, in addition to the IWAD information.

This is used to test various iwad crossups without have to rename or actually corrupt any files.

doomlegacy -game doom2 -iwad doom1.wad

I will get the error  GRNROCK not found.  (it is used as a background, so this may be doomlegacy dependent)

doomlegacy -game doom1 -iwad doom2.wad

I will get the error d_intro not found.

doomlegacy -game doom1 -iwad doom1.wad -file doom2.wad

New Game Episode selection shows: Knee deep in the dead.

I get warnings about textures not found:  STARTAN1, ASHWALL, and others.

doomlegacy -game doom2 -file doom1.wad

New Game does not offer Episode.

I get warnings about textures not found: CEMENT9, TEKGREN2, MODWALL2, and others.

As it does not look like any of these crossup combinations it may likely be due to ZDL.

This can be tricky if the launcher uses the wrong command line syntax, and does not match up with the doom port.

The HOMS probably are due to missing textures (whereas doomlegacy would display texture[0] just to make it easier to see).

Edited by wesleyjohnson