Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi! This is a map I've been working on for the past few months. It's my first doom map, first proper level that I've made for anything really. It's something of a jumble of techbase and hell themes, I wanted to focus on making some interesting encounters. Visual quality might be somewhat mixed in some areas as I'm no artist and I struggled a bit with scale, especially early on.

Screenshot_Doom_20200504_205950.png.168261ebdeb4d2287e28794f13f894fd.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200504_210020.png.baf30a4294721b5b9396678d356a9c69.png

This map consists of a short starting area that branches out into two paths that can be approached in either order. This map isn't very interconnected but I'm hoping to make up for that with the encounter design. I haven't included any variable difficulty setting's so you'll get the same experience at every level, which is pretty "Hurt Me Plenty", at least from my perspective as someone who's only okay at Doom. I'm hoping to go back in later and add some variance, I really like the way Doom handles difficulty. I originally designed the map with the ability to jump and crouch in mind, but I quickly came to the conclusion that doing this would ostracize users of other source ports. I've done a few things to try and make it a bit more widely compatible but I'm not too up to date on the intricacies of each different source port, so I'm not sure how much of the map will break if you try anything other GZDoom, but you are welcome to try, and I would appreciate any feedback, I'm comparatively new to this so I expect to have made a few mistakes.

Screenshot_Doom_20200504_205933.png.ab4b8f6754074b7b4f5fcc7f365348d3.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200504_210120.png.4fc4a41cb8b5ae9b3d3ac1edb3af4928.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200504_205639.png.9376f8efca80a28b711b36546a923e53.png

Download here: AHFM.zip

Edit: Version 2.0 of A Hole for Meat has been released! I'll keep this version up for archival purposes, I guess, but I'd only recommend this version if you're interested in seeing what the version differences are. I may or may not release a patch for this that fixes the bug with the exit door, but that's certainly not a priority and I don't imagine anyone reading this is itching for it exactly.

Edited by Acid-Seltzer : Added link to v2.0.

Update 1.1:

• Fixed some incorrectly pegged door tracks.
  • Fixed some incorrectly tagged doors.
  • Modified lighting in some areas where it was either too jarring or ugly.
  • Removed the revenant in the teleporter room at the base of the large pillar, as it felt unnecessary and kept teleporting to the mancubus room.
  • Changed the Barons in the cafeteria to hell knights, they soaked up way too much ammo and took too long to fight.
  • Added some more former humans, an ammo pickup, and slightly more detail to the connecting room between the lab and the penultimate hall.
  • Added some lights to the hall leading to the crate filled room.
  • Added a semi-secret ambush to the lab.
  • Added and removed pickups where necessary.
  • Removed some extraneous ammo pickups to the pillar room.
  • Rounded out the end of the penultimate hall, for aesthetic purposes.
  • Added a new ambush after the mancubus room.
  • Removed a few enemies from various rooms, enemy volume was something of an issue, especially in the arena.
  • Changed the baron at the end of the lab corridor into a pain elemental.

Side note: I absolutely detest the pillar room, lol. It's an area I added to the level pretty early on, I wanted it to be this large, imposing arena with a more lengthy and well paced climb to the top, but it's kind of just a messy, ugly chaosfest. When I have time I'd like to come back to it and break it down into some smaller areas, make the techbase and hell themes meld together a bit better, and make the side rooms connect to it in a way that makes more sense.

Edited by Acid-Seltzer : Missed a few changes, whoops

Just finished the level. Overall a very good expirience with some nice looking architecture. Although there are some things that kind of annoyed me: There are some rooms and areas that felt kind of pointless like the area around the exit, and some parts in the blue keycard area. About the blue keycard area, as you say here it is defenitly the worst part of the map: Ugly texture placement, annoying and bad enemy placement, pointless rooms etc. Except for those 2 things it is a really tight experience for your first map. Keep it up looking forward for more maps, that is if you are going to continue doing more.

Side note: I absolutely detest the pillar room, lol.

Looks cool, I'll play it through tomorrow and give you some feedback, just posting this now so I don't forget!

On 5/7/2020 at 8:48 PM, danidf96 said:

Just finished the level. Overall a very good expirience with some nice looking architecture. Although there are some things that kind of annoyed me: There are some rooms and areas that felt kind of pointless like the area around the exit, and some parts in the blue keycard area. About the blue keycard area, as you say here it is defenitly the worst part of the map: Ugly texture placement, annoying and bad enemy placement, pointless rooms etc. Except for those 2 things it is a really tight experience for your first map. Keep it up looking forward for more maps, that is if you are going to continue doing more.

Hey thanks! I appreciate the feedback. The exit area is one I'd like to come back and redo, the critical path round there is all sorts of fucked up, like you said. I'm not sure whether the blue keycard area is beyond help and I should scrap it or if I'd be better served trying harder to make it work? I'm kind of sick of looking at it tbh. Also, i'm actually working on a level for Deadtech atm, so I guess I'll post about that when I have updates.

4 hours ago, Acid-Seltzer said:

Hey thanks! I appreciate the feedback. The exit area is one I'd like to come back and redo, the critical path round there is all sorts of fucked up, like you said. I'm not sure whether the blue keycard area is beyond help and I should scrap it or if I'd be better served trying harder to make it work? I'm kind of sick of looking at it tbh. Also, i'm actually working on a level for Deadtech atm, so I guess I'll post about that when I have updates.

I suppose your best option would be to rework the whole blue keycard area. The idea of an imposing big area isn't bad it just needs better execution. 

I thought this was really good actually, especially if it's your first map. For the most part I liked the architecture and detailing in the rooms as well as the texture usage - you used borders and trims well and the map looked very pretty - with a few exceptions (the big room with the walkway high up above). The difficulty was fine - I struggled a bit with health and armour but that was probably because I was playing a bit gung-ho and not taking as much care as I should have. A super shotgun would have been nice (maybe I missed it?) but there was enough rockets and cells lying around that it wasn't a serious issue. I liked some of the lighting effects you used as well as the bridges and slopes - they added a nice bit of variance.

The theming was a bit all over the place - one room you're in a hellish dungeon area with wood and cobble texturing then the next room you go into a metal techbase style area. I think if you want to have a lot of themes in one level then the transition between them should be a bit smoother and less jarring. Also I couldn't figure out how to open the red key "door" that leads to the exit room - I picked up the red key, headed back through the teleporter but then got stuck, I had to clip through it in the end.

A Hole for Meat

Ultra-Violence || GZDoom || Vanilla++

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-210946.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-211112.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-211118.png

(My Godness...)

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-212051.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-212028.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201203-212421.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-065606.pngScreenshot-Doom-20201203-212537.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-071148.png

(For whatever reason this brings back memories of a 3D realms game)

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-071207.png

(Nooo!, No the Pinkies!!)

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-071550.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-071501.png

(Creepy...)

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-072255.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-072449.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-072643.png

(This door has serious configuration problems, because it seems that it does not respond when the Marine tries to interact with it, the funny thing is, that on the back, when using "idclip" to go through it, it is all black, like the gloves of the soldier haha, but seriously, it's strange that I have that, and that at the same time, it is inaccessible from the front.)

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-073453.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-073507.png

(And as with the door, the last secret is practically impossible to obtain because you do not know where the hell you should go to access that square that it marks as a secret on the map, although it turns out that there is another side to access, but in the same way it is not possible because I have no idea how to activate it.)

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-074148.png

(Actually it is 75% in secrets, the last secret I tried to discover using "idclip" so it does not count for anything in the final score)

Screenshot-Doom-20201204-101052.png

This map has been extremely intriguing, due to the fact that its structure becomes quite confusing when it comes to exploring, much more when it comes to discovering secrets, due to the mere fact that some are located in very strange areas of the map, even so, it was not very annoying to pass the map, but hey, one thing at a time.

The architecture, structure and decorations of all the areas, really are a mixture of many things, from having a dungeon theme, then reaching hellish areas, then going through technological areas, and everything comes to be repeated again, the truth, the area What has caught my attention the most, is the area with a large free space around it, in addition to having a really high height than normal, which was very interesting for me, the other areas were still good, But in truth, they brought me confusion when it came to touring them, because I didn't know exactly what direction I was heading, and with the mix of areas, I almost didn't manage to understand the area in general very well about the theme that I was showing in screen, because of the way in which it put the ideas together in one, and that, well, brought me confusion when it came to seeing the areas well with more detail, but again it was not a hindrance to the experience, at least in its ma yor part.

With the difficulty then, if there was a challenge here with somewhat annoying enemies because in some areas there was a lot of space to attack better, and in others, the space was too small to have a decent fight with the demon on duty (for example, with the Hitscnaners, Hell Knight, Revenants, Imps or even the Archvile), but hey, the Marine managed to survive hard, and already finding the 3 keys and good ammunition for almost all the weapons he had, the problems were almost solved with the enemies, although some remained alive but it was because I no longer knew where else to go to find it, therefore, I decided to withdraw from the map and terminate the work here.

Thanks for going through the trouble to give me such in-depth feedback! If you're interested, I released a revised version of this map just yesterday that, imo, is a vast improvement on this version. 

42 minutes ago, Acid-Seltzer said:

Thanks for going through the trouble to give me such in-depth feedback! If you're interested, I released a revised version of this map just yesterday that, imo, is a vast improvement on this version. 

It was a pleasure, partner, and of course, I was just going to play that map that would be the improvement of this map that I had already played.