Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
instagib

bad doom engine games

I can't take anything you post seriously with that avatar. But I wouldn't say there were any "bad" games. I liked Chex Quest, but it might have been a bit too cute.

Doom 3: Mr. Smiley Head's Safari. Or maybe that was the best? I don't know.

Just now, cambreaKer said:

what do you mean?

you just dont seem like a guy who comments on a guys post who has a dancing doomguy for a profile pic

Any doom clones or doom engine games only?

Worst “Doom” type game (used its own engine) I ever played was Robotica for Sega Saturn.  Just a complete mess.  

What other games used the Doom engine?  

3 minutes ago, doomsucksass said:

There's only a few out there.

I think it's Hexen, Heretic, Chex quest, and Strife. I have only played Chex Quest. 

off topic but my first time playing doom was on snes and i actually enjoyed it somehow

To me the least fun official Doom engine game is Strife due to the unsatisfying weapons and annoying hitscan enemies.

However, there have been much worse Doom engine games sold on Steam in recent years. Not Hedon, the really shitty ones like Sharpshooter 3D.

11 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

To me the least fun official Doom engine game is Strife due to the unsatisfying weapons and annoying hitscan enemies.

This

3 hours ago, dr_st said:

Doom 3: Mr. Smiley Head's Safari. Or maybe that was the best? I don't know.

So bad it's good. Objectively it is trash and surely not worth the money some paid for it back then, but I can't help but enjoy it for how it is.

1 hour ago, Thorogrimm said:

Hexen was impressive technically, but it was a bit of a slog gameplay wise

Yeah this is what I think, official games wise.

The worst Doom clone I played? I can't tell actually, there's so many bad ones...

Hexen was spoiled by some ludicrous and tedious switch hunts but I enjoyed it on the whole. Heretic was fine. Enjoyed it at the time but feel no great compulsion to replay it. Strife was solid for what it was. Doom 64 was more miss than hit for me. Some of the levels are utterly aggravating in terms of their gameplay flow. Too much "ok so what the hell did that switch just do?". Good atmosphere though in many places. Plutonia too many dickish fights. Not my style but I know some people like that more masochistic style of gameplay. TNT was fine enough at the time, feel no desire to revisit it. Never played the Chex games. I remember enjoing the Hacx demo but cannot remember if I ever played the full version.

Based on my searches, there were actually relatively few games that used the engine at the time though God knows how many have showed up on Steam since the engine went GPL.

If you move past the Doom engine itself to what were called "Doom clones" nearer the time of release, probably the worst that comes to mind that I played is Corridor 7, a dreadful monstrosity using a modded Wolf3D engine. I still remember the ads to this day. The tagline was "Prepare to meet thy doom" with meet crossed out and beat written under it. Swing and a miss guys, Doom never knew you were there. The same company also released Operation: Body Count on the same engine, though I never had the pleasure. It is supposedly even worse than Corridor 7. Civvie11 did great videos taking the piss out of both games.

Edited by Murdoch

6 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I can't take anything you post seriously with that avatar.

The lack of self-awareness is through the roof on this one!

not really what i meant

What did you mean then? He literally posted the title card of a Doom engine game..

11 hours ago, instagib said:

yeah true

Then why ask really.  There is only so much option you can pick with the original Doom engine.

Oldskool Doom clones would give you a better result.

11 hours ago, instagib said:

off topic but my first time playing doom was on snes and i actually enjoyed it somehow

.... That didn't use the Doom Engine.

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

What did you mean then? He literally posted the title card of a Doom engine game..

Posting in quick succession does not always lead to a good post or thread.