Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
instagib

bad doom engine games

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

I hate linking to it, but the Doom Fandom has a cite from the original author mentioning its a custom engine.

Interesting. The menu code looks absolutely identical and while the renderer looks comparable it does feel subtly different and not just the lack of a view bob. A pretty solid effort in spite of the very crappy looking game that got tacked onto it.

4 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I remember a rather late-era PS1 RPG called Shadow Madness had, as a minigame, a decently-competent Doom-like. Actually, looking at it, I'm getting more than a few Powerslave vibes...

What the hell, that appears to be the exact same engine as Powerslave PS1 but with shitty new sprites and screaming.

49 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

What the hell, that appears to be the exact same engine as Powerslave PS1 but with shitty new sprites and screaming.

From what I've deduced, that's exactly the case.

Lobotomy was absorbed into Crave Entertainment in 1998. About a year later, this game came out (from another developer they also absorbed, and that was one-and-done - this game was their only project). Seems Crave basically just gave them the PS1 SlaveDriver engine to use in the minigame, and aside from a few sprite tweaks, it's basically pretty much unmodified.

And so the PS1 SlaveDriver engine's final resting place is in a minigame inside a forgettable PS1 RPG that was released only in the US.

Edited by Dark Pulse

10 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I remember a rather late-era PS1 RPG called Shadow Madness had, as a minigame, a decently-competent Doom-like. Actually, looking at it, I'm getting more than a few Powerslave vibes...

Whoa.

Whoa.

9 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Interesting. The menu code looks absolutely identical and while the renderer looks comparable it does feel subtly different and not just the lack of a view bob. A pretty solid effort in spite of the very crappy looking game that got tacked onto it.

You should check out Quiver for an even more blatant clone, despite being an original engine. Quite a difficult game aswell: You have a crapton of health, but enemies do absolute bonker levels of damage. The channel from which i link this video also attempts to put a video of every DOS FPS ever released on YouTube, so its well worth checking out:

4 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

From what I've deduced, that's exactly the case.

Lobotomy was absorbed into Crave Entertainment in 1998. About a year later, this game came out (from another developer they also absorbed, and that was one-and-done - this game was their only project). Seems Crave basically just gave them the PS1 SlaveDriver engine to use in the minigame, and aside from a few sprite tweaks, it's basically pretty much unmodified.

And so the PS1 SlaveDriver engine's final resting place is in a minigame inside a forgettable PS1 RPG that was released only in the US.

This is a rather exceptional find, Dark Pulse! I never had even heard of Gadget Madness, let alone it being a minigame, using the Slave Driver tech and what not.

This is a quality post. Thank you so much for writing this up.

Something all those DOS FPSes reminded me was the feelings they created, when seeing them in a magazine. Since back then you couldn't really find gameplay footage as easily as today, each one of them created great expectations and the hope of finding "something more" compared to Doom. New enemies, new weapons, new adventures... but in actuality very of them felt like complete games, let alone delivering that elusive "something more".

I remember seeing Chasm: The Rift ads (not Doom-based, I know) and being intrigued. Then I played the demo and it was a grid-based affair with 3D models slapped on top, with a highly derivative Quake aesthetic and not much else.