Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slowtorturepukechamber

thoughts on Thy Flesh Consumed

Fuck E4M1. It feels almost like a troll map at times, it makes my blood boil more than any of Plutonia's maps and I dunno why.

The only episode in ultimate doom where i die once or more.  I give it a 10/10 because it's a classic that will be here for the rest of our lives. 

I don't care for it, it's the only mapset besides any slaughter maps that make my blood boil. It disgusts me.

Love the first 2 levels. No other level in the entirety of Doom gives the same thrill as going for 100% kills in the first level on UV. The Baron "secret" is just nasty. Better make those 12 rockets count :P

23 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Has anyone ever survived that trap? FOUR goddamn barons in a tight square box??

Are you referring to this one?

19 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Love the first 2 levels. No other level in the entirety of Doom gives the same thrill as going for 100% kills in the first level on UV. The Baron "secret" is just nasty. Better make those 12 rockets count :P

Try first 2 levels of Episode 4 on UV Fast.

10 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Yes, you can reliably to max kills in that map even with the apparent ammo shortage. I learned it from a demo by Yonatan Donner (but anyone must have used the same tactics). Avoid stepping on NIN; that will wall you in. Only step on NIN (carefully so) to get the credit for the secret, after you clear the level.

1. For the first baron from the red key area, save the rockets. You should be having plenty of shells to kill it. Should take 15 shots. Do not waste rockets for anything else at that point.
  2. For the NIN trap, you should have 12 rockets. Make sure all barons heard you, and run to the room where you got the red key. Make sure to lure all four barons to the walkway next to the grates. Eventually you'll have four barons crowded in that corner. Then you'll be able to fire the rockets. 12 rockets (instead of the usual 20) will be just enough to kill them all. And you'll be out of harm's way while doing so, thanks to that grate.

I like E4M1; its style seems most similar to what ended up in Doom 2016.

11 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Yes, you simply run back inside the red key building and let the Barons handle the other enemies. Make sure you've saved all the rockets the map offered though.

Maxing out the level is perfectly doable, but requires infighting, there's just not enough ammo to kill everything by yourself.

15 hours ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

>E4M1
>Harder than plutonia's Congo
>TFW a level filled with shotgunners is more harder than plutonia

image.png.915e7daff22e3d56035a8ec213510e34.png

Congo is extremely fair to the player. It starts you off with a backpack and the Super Shotty, all of the midtier monster encounters let you run away, both archviles are in areas with tons of cover, etc. Really the only BS part is the chaingunner closet, you know the one.

6 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Try first 2 levels of Episode 4 on UV Fast.

I only play with fast. So already done :P

12 hours ago, seed said:

Yes, you simply run back inside the red key building and let the Barons handle the other enemies. 

I mean, like staying inside that box with 'em, going toe to hoof, resorting to just punching when the ammo runs out.

On 6/4/2020 at 1:57 PM, Maximum Matt said:

I mean, like staying inside that box with 'em, going toe to hoof, resorting to just punching when the ammo runs out.

Well, I actually gave this a try just now. Saved right before the fight, upwards of 30 attempts I think. It didn't waste too much time because these attempts did not last long. I can confirm that this challenge is well beyond me, but I'm not skilled, and I think it's at least technically possible with some help from RNG. The best I could do was to kill one baron, which happened 3 or 4 times. A few notes about the strategy:

- The rocket launcher is more viable than I expected, but still not. There were cases where I could fire it in the box without taking damage, but those opportunities were rare enough and brief enough that I didn't get anywhere with it. No barons were killed by the rocket launcher. The best strategy is probably to kill two or three of them with the chaingun/shotgun and fists, then kill the rest with the rocket launcher when there's more space.

- Focusing one's shots on a specific baron at the start is obviously the fastest way to free up some space, but I found it very hard to keep track of one baron for long enough with all the movement and the other barons making it confusing. It helps if they're slow to teleport in, but I don't think I ever had a baron die while the others weren't all in the box already. They die very slowly.

- There were two cases where a baron was caught on the walls while they were rising, partially crushing but not killing one of them. This makes it more spacious inside the box, but the baron can still hit (at least with melee attacks, maybe with fireballs) from above. I doubt it's practical to try and make this happen on purpose, but it probably helps a little.

Or you could just press the switch that lowers the walls from the inside and run away, but then the level is too easy. lol

That could be a Doomgod challenge: Survive the NIN deathbox on UV. 

Truly the most assholeish level in all the IWADs, and an absolute bastard of an opener.  

The best level in TFC is Against Thee Wickedly, FYI. 

The thing about this Baron trap in E4M1 is that you are more than likely to miss it and never experience it, unless you go for 100% completion. Even then, once you learn how it works, it's really not that big of a deal. So, the challenge of actually fighting them inside that box, while super-hard, is completely optional.

Telefragging the Cyberdemon on E4M2 en route to the secret level - now that's sweet.

1. I discovered the baron trap completely by accident, by doing a Wolf3D style sweeping of all walls for the secrets. It felt like id was punishing me for using this primitive method. And yeah, it scared me. Anyway that entire room is fucked up, what with the huge specter trap that only gets triggered if I get close to the demon face (how many user levels apply this REJECT trick now?) Now I can imagine Betruger's voice taunting me in the most inane way as he traps me and spawns four deadly monsters next to me... I would like to see more of this in wads, where pressing the wrong torch causes mayhem to erupt...
  2. On my first E4M2 playthrough, I had no clue of the teleporter going into the cyberdemon. Instead, I took advantage of his rockets being unable to reach me when I'm on the stairs. It was more of a puzzle boss battle to figure out, because trying to face him at level was impossible at that time.

It was disapointment because we already had a hell episode, it felt like "we do hell again because E3 wasn't that hellish"

But that's just me not being a fan of the theme.

More objectively, it felt very inconsistent in terms of quality, beside the romero maps in it which in my view are one of the best in it's carrer the other ones felt a bit boxy /amateurish /unpolished.

Not bad maps per se but together they don't make up an episode to me.

Tried it for the first time in HMP a couple weeks ago. Noped out after map 1. Too tough for me. But I suck at Doom and was playing on console. Will probably revisit it on PC when I get better.

6 hours ago, printz said:

On my first E4M2 playthrough, I had no clue of the teleporter going into the cyberdemon. Instead, I took advantage of his rockets being unable to reach me when I'm on the stairs.

The Cyberdemon on the pedestal in Plutonia MAP30 can be similarly defeated easily from a safe spot - the second step from the bottom on the stair case on either side.

Just from my experience playing through doom... When I played through it after going throught the first 3 episodes it did feel different. I think it was quite noticeable.
The first thought I had was this is worrisome! what if I cant beat the game because the first level of Thy flesh consumed is so difficult.
I never had issues with starting off in a level and not dying a thousand times but with Thy flesh consumed level 1 i couldn't even find out how to get through it.  

I think whats different is the difficulty is amped up a bit more than the previous 3 episodes. And it does not look like it takes place anywhere specific at a first glance. The first 2 episodes i think take place in bases on Tie tienga or wherever? Then the third is like as if hell has poured out onto the surface of the planet. Then the fourth seems like its not consistent with the previous 3.

Not to mention the first level of Thy flesh consumed uses teleporters when the difficulty is set lower than required for teleporting enemys on to the map for previous episodes.

Also just looking at the first 2 maps on the episode they are smaller and more confined than previous maps I think. 
While the second level is not so confined as the first it feels like you dont have many places to go as theres lava or toxic slime below.

Just my observations Im not the most experienced player but I just noticed these things when playing for the first time.

On 6/6/2020 at 5:23 PM, Cross3yed0ni said:

Tried it for the first time in HMP a couple weeks ago. Noped out after map 1. Too tough for me. But I suck at Doom and was playing on console. Will probably revisit it on PC when I get better.

I finished episode 4 on UV Fast with keyboard on PC but I wouldn't wanna play it on Nightmare.

Nightmare makes it UV Fast look piece of cake when compared and I dont even mention normal UV, which is even easier with slow enemies :D :D :D

I dont know why I am called bad just because I cannot handle respwaning enemies on Nightmare.

But you said you play with console so I would NOT be able to play with that either. I would suck at Doom with the way you play also. I need a pc and a keyboard to play.

All my life I played Doom on pc and with keyboard (since 1998).

I know I am not liked on the forum, by the way.

But I am forcing myself on nightmare. So far I could only finish episode 1 of Doom on Nightmare.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

I can remember very well, how excited I was, when E4 came out as a free update.
I enjoyed E4 very much and did not notice the style change s long time. I got used to it
and now it's like an old friend....He might be strange from time to time, but hey - it's an old buddy!

BTW: E1 is shareware, E4 is a free Update and E5 is also freely available. Doom is the only game,
where you have to pay for only 2/5 of the cake :-)

22 hours ago, DoomGater said:

I can remember very well, how excited I was, when E4 came out as a free update.
I enjoyed E4 very much and did not notice the style change s long time. I got used to it
and now it's like an old friend....He might be strange from time to time, but hey - it's an old buddy!

BTW: E1 is shareware, E4 is a free Update and E5 is also freely available. Doom is the only game,
where you have to pay for only 2/5 of the cake :-)

E5?

8 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

E5?

Sigil. Recent update episode for Ultimate Doom. You can get it for free online on John Romero's website I think and apply it to your copy of Ultimate Doom to play through a 5th episode. From what I've seen it's about same difficulty or slightly more than E4.

23 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

I know I am not liked on the forum, by the way.

Lol... You are so dramatic.

24 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

You are new in Doom? :D :D :D

No

E4M1 is my favorite map ever. The first map that truly made me feel like: ''This is my Doom.'' The whole ambient, the absurd challenge and the FUCKINGTASTIC music made my fall in love with E4.

I was a kid when I played it, and It was the first time a truly say to myself: Damn, this is very hard. I still love it, pretty iconic.

Edited by Endless : ingrish

1 hour ago, random_soldier1337 said:

Sigil. Recent update episode for Ultimate Doom. You can get it for free online on John Romero's website I think and apply it to your copy of Ultimate Doom to play through a 5th episode. From what I've seen it's about same difficulty or slightly more than E4.

My copy of Ultimate Doom which is played in GZDoom hasn't been gotten by paying as I mentioned earlier so It will probably not turn into 5 episodes if this is done officially.

I dont use credit card and I get all games, movies for free on internet, which is something very normal in Turkey and there is no judgement by laws in Turkey, unlike USA.

But since this is an USA forum made for Doom, I wont repeat it once again. It looks like I may get ban for that but I dont share any links or things on forum so I think I am safe this way.

Even movie, game shops in front of everybody do sell unofficial copies of games, movies in Turkey with cheap prices so it is very much like it is legal in Turkey. No one does anything about this in Turkey. So dont think of it in the laws of USA when you talk to someone out of USA.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare