Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Proteh

Interesting Unused Voice Lines (Doomguy, Marauder, Samuel, Khan Maykr...)

So, basically:
- explanation for "Welcome, Seraphim"
- OG Doom universe mentioned

- cut ARC Broadcast (?), courtesy of Samuel
- Seraphim was likely referred as Progenitor at some point in development
- alternate Khan Maykr lines in Sentinel Prime
- cut additional Marauder lines for his intro (?) (were there more cutscenes with him? or was he talking in-game too?)

- cut Doomguy lines suggest that he either had more lines in flashbacks, or there were more flashbacks (was that last line referring to Marauder?)
- more Khan Maykr reee'ing

Three interesting findings:

On the very beginning: "You have no idea what's coming. Please you must listen to me. They are coming, coming for you all". So the invasion of Argent D'Nur was imminent but the Slayer managed to enter Argent D'Nur before the demons. Since id Software said we will see the adventures of Doomguy I suppose this story segment will be part of one of the DLCs.

The multiverse is confirmed. Doom Eternals earth is not the Slayers earth. "I will send you back to your home, the earth world in the 7th dimension, before the time of the demons. You may live there again as before no memory of all the suffering you have been through. All your loved ones will be there, waiting to embrace you again. As if you have never left."

The Khan Maykr said she is "the beginning and the end". But in the final game we learned she had predecessors and was supposed to die in favor of the next Khan Maykr, which was not possible anymore after the essence of the father has been stolen. Maybe she stole it herself to make sure no other Khan Maykr will be chosen? But this would be a plot hole since the demand for Argent Energy was caused by the loss of the essence. Maybe the idea of reincarnation wasn't in the original story draft but was added later, so the Khan Maykr was originally designed as an eternal being?

Edited by igg

3 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I like the cut Doomguy voices, he sounds less like a heavy-PTSD maniac.

The voice actor they for for him is very good with that considered. I hope they use him more, even if just for flashbacks.

Can’t see them using his voice for modern slayer though, unless it’s some badass one liner.

1 hour ago, BluePineapple72 said:

All of these lines sound weirdly pitch shifted. Like Samuel and Doomman both have deeper voices than normal

I think they aren't fully processed to be like in the final product. It sounds like much more low frequencies that haven't been cut are present, both in mid and especially in side stereo channel.

Here are the lines:

Doomguy:

(1) - "You have no idea what's coming."
(2) - "Please, you must listen to me. They are coming, coming for you all. They will leave nothing left."
(3) - "Get your hands off me!"
(4) - "The demons... they are everywhere!"
(5) - "I've killed bigger and worse than you."

The third and fifth line seem to reference events that weren't shown in the final game.

Marauder:

(1) - "Your end shall not be quick to the (?)."
(2) - "Your honor and duty are nothing. Only pain matters."
(3) - "A slave to their beliefs. You suffer in silence. You will die for their sins."

In the first line, I have no idea what he says at the end after the brief pause.

Samuel Hayden:

(1) - "Attention, all ARC personnel. As leader of the resistance, I will tell you plainly: we need every possible volunteer, every recruit available for Operation: Hellbreaker. Their numbers will be great but we have the technology and the tools to overcome them. Fight with me, fight for each other. Eventually they will break through our defenses here. If we don't push forward, we have nowhere else to fall back to. I'll see you in the ARC Tower."

(2) - "For a time you fought for the Khan Maykr, led her army of Sentinel warriors on their holy crusades against the demons."

(3) - "You will one day need to return here for now this is a place of evil. But first, the Icon must be stopped, the humans have no time left."

(4) - "There can only ever be one Slayer and he must be worthy, chosen by the Khan Maykr herself. But you were different."

(5) - "I have access to the neural prime network of Maykr land. I will mask your biochemical signature with one of their own. This may sting a bit."

The first line is the most interesting one here. Operation: Hellbreaker is mentioned in the Codex: "Operation Hellbreaker was Samuel's final plan, a powerful counterattack that ultimately ended in failure. His robotic torso was retrieved by ARC soldiers, Samuel is now tended to and monitored by a skeleton crew of scientists." Which means they have a voice-acted line for an event that occurred before the events of the game. It could've been an audio log perhaps. I do recall reading that the DLC was originally going to focus on the downfall of Earth from other perspectives, so maybe this line would've been a part of that?

The third line is likely referring to Urdak. The fourth line implies the concept of the Slayer existed for a long time, meant to have been chosen by the Khan Maykr. The fifth line would explain how the Slayer jumped around Urdak at the start seemingly without detection.

Khan Maykr:

(1) - "It was my blood that made you. The Progenitor may have sowed the seed, but it was I who made it possible. Not him! You owe your power to me!"

(2) - "You deny us the fruit that grow from the seed we have planted. Earth is ours to cull. I feel for your people, I do. It is not easy to take the life that we gave them but their sacrifice will save so many from a far worse fate. I ask you to put down your arms and allow my people to live on."

(3) - "It was my blood that made you! The Seraphim may have sowed the seed, but it was I who made it possible. Not him! You owe your power to me!"

(4) - "It was blasphemy for you to be granted access to the Slayer ritual. Your sin has no place in Urdak. You recklessly threaten the balance that has existed between darkness and light for eons!"

(5) - "I... I will rise again to lead them. Your people need my..."

(6) - "It was the Seraphim's deceit that caused this."

(7) - "Stop your foolish war now and I will give you what you desire. I will send you back to your home. The Earth world in the seventh dimension. Before the time of the demons. You may live there again as before. No memory of all the suffering you have been through. All your loved ones will be there, waiting to embrace you again as if you have never left."

(8) - "Would you dare kill god? Bring that burden upon your eternal soul? For them?"

(9) - "I am the beginning and the end. You cannot resist my will for it was you who was meant to enforce it."

(10) - "Your actions against the Priests won't stop us. You could've taken a place alongside the Maykrs for eternity. Now you shall be extinguished as is the fate of all lesser beings."

(11) - "Turn your gaze to Earth, Slayer. Witness the result of your folly. When the Icon is unleashed, their fate is sealed. They could've been repurposed, harnessed, used... because of you, they shall burn instead. What a waste."

The first and third lines indicate the Slayer's strength is from the Khan Maykr's blood. The third line is the exact same as the first line, just delivered differently (she seems to be dying here). The first line and third line only differ between "Progenitor" and "Seraphim", likely the same person just a different name. There's no mention of a Progenitor in the final game. Progenitor is defined as "a person or thing from which a person, animal, or plant is descended or originates; an ancestor or parent.". He could be named such because he "created" the Slayer.

The second line was likely for Sentinel Prime, when the Khan Maykr tried to dissuade from killing Deag Grav. The fourth line also supports the idea that the concept of the Slayer existed long before Doomguy. The fifth line seems to be a quote for when she would die. It implies she could return, which is possible I suppose since The Father has been returned and a new Khan Maykr could be birthed. The seventh line would confirm the multiverse theory, I don't think the "seventh dimension" is a reference to anything. Interestingly, the eighth line asks the Slayer if he would dare kill "god" and not "a god". In the ninth line, the context of "for it was you who meant to enforce it" changes a bit when we consider that the concept of the Slayer existed long ago and that the Khan Maykr would've chosen someone for the ritual transformation. Considering Eternal implies the invasion of Earth as sort of a biblical judgment day, it could be reference to how some religions posit that Jesus would return before Judgment Day. The Slayer, carrying Khan Maykr's (God's?) blood, would drive her will in enforcing Hell on Earth. I don't think I need to spell out what that implies. It's a weird theory anyways.

The tenth line implies the Slayer could've joined the Maykrs and that "lesser beings" (mortals) are naturally meant to die. It appears that lesser beings don't get to join the Maykrs in Urdak, despite what the Maykrs told the Argenta.

The eleventh line then seems to imply that humans could've been "repurposed, harnessed, used" and not just "extinguished" as said by the previous quote. I'm not sure what for exactly. The game says that all that die by the demons are sent to Hell, in that way they are harnessed to create Argent Energy (Hellfire is used in this process too). I don't know what the Khan Maykr meant when she claims humans "could've been" re-used.

???

(1) - "Welcome, Progenitor."

Likely the Urdak facility voice. The current one welcomed the Seraphim and was a female voice, while this one welcomed the Progenitor and is a male voice. The Khan Maykr's first and third quotes imply they are the same entity.

3 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

I do recall reading that the DLC was originally going to focus on the downfall of Earth from other perspectives, so maybe this line would've been a part of that?

fm1ckuvjsdu41.jpg

Don't know if true.

14 minutes ago, Vic Vos said:

Don't know if true. 

That's likely true. I was actually referring to a statement line on Steam or somewhere else (I can't find it anymore) that described the DLCs a few months ago as to feature different perspectives and would take place during the fall of Earth. Hugo did mention in a few interviews though that the DLCs would feature the Slayer, so the previous idea was likely scrapped or just incorrect.

4 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

Here are the lines:

Doomguy:

(1) - "You have no idea what's coming."
(2) - "Please, you must listen to me. They are coming, coming for you all. They will leave nothing left."
(3) - "Get your hands off me!"
(4) - "The demons... they are everywhere!"
(5) - "I've killed bigger and worse than you."

The third and fifth line seem to reference events that weren't shown in the final game.

Thanks for your work :-) since English is not my native language some of the recordings, especially the Marauder ones, were hard to understand for me. 

I think the third line either refers when Doomguy is carried to the priests by the Sentinels (after being found on Argent D'Nur) or when he was carried out of the arena. The fifth may be during an encounter with the Marauder or Khan Maykr.

12 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

I don't know what the Khan Maykr meant when she claims humans "could've been" re-used.

Humans are tortured in Hell to create hell energy which is then refined into Argent. That’s what she meant.

nice work on the list as well 

This line by Samuel Hayden --

(3) - "You will one day need to return here for now this is a place of evil. But first, the Icon must be stopped, the humans have no time left."

-- seems to pretty clearly imply another level in Urdak in either the DLC or a sequel.

11 hours ago, Sitting on a cornflake said:

seems to pretty clearly imply another level in Urdak in either the DLC

Aaaand confirmed.

Doomguy kinda sounds like an older version of his quake iii self 

4 hours ago, Danzer said:

I think that was the inspiration. Not the same voice actor of course but it’s similar.

I was displeased with Doomguys spoken parts both in the game and this video.  One of the coolest things about Doomguy, to me, has always been his unspoken rage.  A silent force for good whose actions spoke much louder than words.

2 hours ago, Rare Hatchiama said:

I was displeased with Doomguys spoken parts both in the game and this video.  One of the coolest things about Doomguy, to me, has always been his unspoken rage.  A silent force for good whose actions spoke much louder than words.

I guess he rages in audible agony when dies in classic Doom.

3 hours ago, Rare Hatchiama said:

Well, he was more or less a different person in the OG games, and given his PTSD it’s fitting that he did talk at one point.

8 hours ago, Rare Hatchiama said:

I was thinking about what didn't click with the voice for me and i guess for some reason, silent him felt more badass. Using solely animations to let express himself in the previous game sure did the job and was a welcome approach. The rest of the game kept this motto running at least.

1 hour ago, Smouths said:

No more Doomguy voice lines in an official game, ever. Please.

Nothing wrong with him talking IMO so long as it's either flashbacks, or maybe swearing. But otherwise yeah, he is better as a silent killer.

I thought Doomguy's voice lines in the flashbacks were an appropriate way to illustrate his descent into madness, and it makes his character more interesting by showing that he's fully capable of speaking, it's just that he doesn't want to.

Besides, I think the voice Matthew Watterson gave him was a perfect fit. It's pretty much how I imagined Doomguy would sound like (at least taking these unused clips into consideration).

Edited by chemo

On 5/10/2020 at 2:22 PM, chemo said:

I thought Doomguy's voice lines in the flashbacks were an appropriate way to illustrate his descent into madness...

It felt kind of shoehorned in to me, especially for something that ultimately ended up being just another reference to the comic. There are a million better ways they could've handled it imo, like if Doomguy silently scrambled to his feet to fight the guards off of him, or if they'd skipped including the cutscene altogether. I know I'm being overly nitpicky, but it kind of soured the tone of the entire game, personally.

Not really familiar with Watterson's other performances, but here he sounded like the guy who jokingly did a reading of the Doom Comic back in the mid-late 2000s- though that's not so much the case in these unused clips.

Edited by Smouths

On 5/8/2020 at 12:46 PM, Danzer said:

tfw the flash back with doomguy wasn't taking place on a quake 3 map

I would love for them to eventually fill in the gap a bit between 2016 and Eternal with a DLC. I would love to know how he got his floating castle. 

22 hours ago, CultofPixels said:

I would love for them to eventually fill in the gap a bit between 2016 and Eternal with a DLC. I would love to know how he got his floating castle. 

I guess it's his palace from Taras Nabad he flew away in...

9 hours ago, Deimos said:

I guess it's his palace from Taras Nabad he flew away in...

He had his own palace? 

7 hours ago, igg said:

He had his own palace? 

Didn't the the throne under the big horned skull in Taras Nabad have the mark of the Slayer on it? Or maybe i misremember.
He was basically a warlord/general.