Doom 2 is better than Doom 1

Is Doom 2 better than Doom 1?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Is Doom 2 better than Doom 1?

• Yes
    • Yes

At Singleplayer: Doom > Doom 2
At Multiplayer: Doom 2 > Doom

Personally, I tend to be more as a deathmatcher, so go figure.

ssg rules my world. archviles are cool... revenents are cooler.
but then, there is darknation's attractive anatomy... :P

Doom1: Better atmosphere and better looks.

Doom2: More diversity in levels and fewer duds action-wise, but some of the levels look really bland.

Where the hell did all the tech go? Levels 1-11 were supposed to be set in a starport!

Well, the added monsters and the SSG are great. But doom 1 really dose have a better atmosphere. Now, if someone made some doom 1 type maps for doom 2, well...

I was of course forced to vote doom2... so I guess I choose doom2 over doom2... OH SNAP! I mean, doom2 over doom2... this is what happens when I'm forced to vote between one or the other...

Epyo said:

I like DooM 2 better. There's just something about it, some higher level of ambience or something...[/b]

11/18/02

W00t! I said it first! see?:p…

Actually, come to think of it, there really are only a couple of good reasons why I choose Doom2. There are more enemies (because I always felt there was waaaaaay to much shortage in the first) and the SSG - thats it.

The DBSG keeps me playing Doom 2 exclusively these days, though I do admit the hell theme of Doom 1 is more to my liking. D64's hell theme owns it all anyway. Even the D64 tech stages kick ass. One play through Terraformer was enough to convince me.

Doom2 is better than Doom2, so I voted for Doom2 (the second one) as it's much better.

Uh, IMO Doom2 has more levels that are worse than some DooM1 levels... but what do I know, I just answer to weird polls :P

Shaviro said:

Doom2 IS better. Doom1 has levels which are more godawful than Doom2.

/Me blows Shaviro away with his shotgun.
Admitted, not all Doom1's levels are good, but not a single of Doom 2's levels (except for the wolfie levels) had good design whatsoever. In Doom 1 both E1 and E2 rocks (and most of the E3 maps are more fun than the majority of Doom 2's maps)

Doom 2's music also sucks balls compared to Doom 1's kickass soundtrack and the general atmosphere in Doom 1 represents what Doom REALLY is all about (which Doom 2's doesn't do nearly as well).

Admitted, the new monsters and the ssg in Doom 2 are cool, but they're all outweighed by the shitty levels and the crappy music, plus the fact that there are actually too many enemies thrown at you in droves in Doom 2, which imho degenerates the gameplay as it makes the game a lot more repetitive - whenever I play Doom 2, I slowly but steadily begin to grow tired of it because there are a lot of situations where you just shoot into a crowd, shoot into a crowd, repeats.

Gimme Doom 1 any day.

Although Doom II's leveldesign is mostly absolutely weird, I still like the levels. The music is absolutely great, and I love the doublebarreled shotgun. I also think the coverart for Doom II is way better than Doom's.. This doesn't mean I don't like Doom at all, in fact, I love it, I just believe Doom II is a tad better.

Romero already stated Doom 2 was made in a rush. It can easily be seen. The imperfections in the first Doom are rather a question of inexperience. All in all, I still prefer Doom over Doom2.