Find results in...
Guest Mariner

Doom 1 or 2?

Which one is your favorite?  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is your favorite?

• DOOM/The Ultimate DOOM
    • DOOM II: Hell on Earth

One thing that bothers me about Doom II is that, on the title screen hes in like normal gear and clothes, but in the game, hes in his space suit, despite he is in his suit on the title page, its just that, wheres the helmet?...Always bugged me, but its not that big of a deal, so meh.

And also, On the Title screen, the CyberDemon has legs like ours, but in the game, he has Goat style legs...again, not that big of a deal, so meh.

Naturally, the following list is all in my opinion.

1. Doom had more involving level design, and I liked the episode system instead of 32 straight levels. Doom 2 simply felt like 32 different PWads, made by 32 different people, thrown together in no particular order.

2. I cant claim to remember much of the music from either game, but I can at least remember a few from Doom. Doom 2's music left no impression on me whatsoever.

3. I myself prefer the Doom title pic.

4. I never liked revenants.

Ultimately, I prefer Doom. Although it is weird not having the SSG and I do sometimes miss the Arch-vile and Pain Elemental.

Arch-viles are a pain in the ass! I don't like Doom 2 Wads because someone always feels the need for an arch-vile or two per level, because "Wouldn't that be cool"?

Archviles were great in Doom 2 because there weren't five or six in every level, they were almost treated like like mini-bosses, even. Nowadays people are willing to randomly throw a whole bunch into PWADS because it makes them more challenging. Map 11 of Plutonia is a rare occaision of a good example of a way to use many Archviles in one level.

DOOM Anomaly said:

One thing that bothers me about Doom II is that, on the title screen hes in like normal gear and clothes, but in the game, hes in his space suit, despite he is in his suit on the title page, its just that, wheres the helmet?...Always bugged me, but its not that big of a deal, so meh.

And also, On the Title screen, the CyberDemon has legs like ours, but in the game, he has Goat style legs...again, not that big of a deal, so meh.

Doom has to make sense all of a sudden?

Livo said:

Doom has to make sense all of a sudden?

The best way to immerse oneself in a game (or in an image - yes you CAN immerse yourself in an image if you're interested in art) is if you can find explanations for things.
On the Doom 2 title pic, the Doomguy is on Earth (thus not as much use for a helmet with a breather as on Mars) and it's the same suit, but the D2 image is drawn by another artist afaik and he has designed it differently.

doom 2 is much better for deathmatch and coop. I like sP with doom 1 a little better

Assmaster said:

Ultimately, I prefer Doom. Although it is weird not having the SSG and I do sometimes miss the Arch-vile and Pain Elemental.

Did you know that if you load Doom (1) with ZDoom, and a pwad that replaces the ssg, and sounds, you can use the ssg then if you cheat for it. :)

ravage said:

you can use the ssg then if you cheat for it. :)

And if your add on WAD also includes the sprite for the SSG pickup, you can place them in a map and use them without cheating. Of course, having it in the first place could be considered cheating.

Having said that, I found, with the original 3 episodes at least, the SSG was just enough to tip the balance and give you too many powerful weapons and almost make the game boringly easy.

Enjay said:

Having said that, I found, with the original 3 episodes at least, the SSG was just enough to tip the balance and give you too many powerful weapons and almost make the game boringly easy.

That's the problem with Doom 2 - the enemies become boringly easy when you have the SSG and you're able to kill scores of monsters without a sweat.

Using the SSG in Doom 1 completely spoils it, and Doom owns Doom 2 anyway in terms of atmosphere and architecture. Doom 2 is only better insofar as it has more varied enemies and one more weapon. It's more like Doom 1.5.

pritch said:

Using the SSG in Doom 1 completely spoils it, and Doom owns Doom 2 anyway in terms of atmosphere and architecture. Doom 2 is only better insofar as it has more varied enemies and one more weapon. It's more like Doom 1.5.

Seconded by golly.

hm very hard question...
the first episode of doom = best ever, I remember playing it and looking at the mountains out of windows going "omg this looks like a real place."

SOME of the levels in episode 1 and 2 are naff looking... but doom2 starts off bland but the levels get better later on.

Both have their good and bad points so it's impossible to find an answer :/

Dunno why I haven't mentioned this before but...

this poll is an retarded imo.

[edit]....Nothing wrong with the question though[/edit]

Me likes doom more than doom2. I'm not sure why though. It's probably coz I played doom first, so it got my attention. Keeping in mind that the best game (graphically) I had ever played was wolf3D before doom.
Doom2 will always be for me just an extended version of doom. IMO

Y2theJ said:

Doom2 will always be for me just an extended version of doom.

Well yes, that's precisely what it indeed is. The question (albeit rather a well-worn one, and not one that this poll really addressed in a meaningful way) is whether people view it as an improvement.

Anyway, I'm glad that the first yes owned the second yes.

How can anyone say that Doom2's levels suck? Map02 - yes awesome. map04 - yes awesome. map11 - great design. map17??? detailed, balanced, beautiful, not to mention fun, not many levels are released these days that can compete. Don't get me started on map22, it was detailed, simple....bla bla I love it. And when I first made it to map29, it felt climactic, tense as hell, and not many levels can do that to you. well what are you doom2 bashers gonna say bout that?

Map 25...

It looks like it was only half complete, and a few parts of it didn't make any sense.

Grazza said:

Anyway, I'm glad that the first yes owned the second yes.

Uh why? They both mean that if you voted "yes" (either of the "yes"') it means that you think Doom 2 is greater than Doom 1, which I don't therefore this poll is an retarded (like I stated a little while ago) and therefore I never voted.

How can anyone say that Doom2's levels suck? Map02 - yes awesome. map04 - yes awesome. map11 - great design. map17??? detailed, balanced, beautiful, not to mention fun, not many levels are released these days that can compete. Don't get me started on map22, it was detailed, simple....bla bla I love it. And when I first made it to map29, it felt climactic, tense as hell, and not many levels can do that to you. well what are you doom2 bashers gonna say bout that?

I dunno what game you're playing, but in my version of Doom 2 these levels suck ass. Horrible surreal design all of 'em. What am I going to say about that you ask? I could repeat everything I've said earlier in this thread and still blow your arguments apart.
Map29 may be tense, but like most maps with narrow ledges it is annoying to play and it looks plain ugly because of the dominant brown colour. The only Doom 2 map which I like the design of is map28 and that's mostly because of the use of textures. It's like the only Hell map in Doom 2 that looks like it's in Hell. Most of the others just look plain odd. Map 17 is one of the maps that I stay far away from, because I don't find the map interesting nor fun, map 11 is the same surreal crap as most Doom 2 levels and map 4 isn't very exciting visually either.

Tell you what Doom 2 maps I like?
map16 "suburbs" - may be shitty design but it's one of the few Doom 2 maps that I find fun to play.
Map19 "The Citadel" - probably my favorite Doom 2 map. I like the beginning of the map with that river and a small bridge leading to that fortress building, neat.
Map28 "The spirit world" - Probably the best non-wolfenstein music track in the game and, like I said, the most Hell-like level in the entire game.

what does hell look like? what does a spacestation look like? for christ sake, i cannot understand for the life of me your criticisms, i dont think your arguments are very convincing at all. I like both games, they're both got different levels and themes, and you said something about doom2 levels being surreal in design? Mt Erebus anyone? how about the whole third and fourth episodes in fact? Every critical point you have made is also a trademark in Doom 1. I assume you are a level designer so you should take a closer look at the levels I mentioned and appreciate their design.

dsm said:

Horrible surreal design all of 'em.

If you're playing Doom for realistic level designs, you're so far off the mark it's not funny.

Linguica said:

If you're playing Doom for realistic level designs, you're so far off the mark it's not funny.

as opposed to... Suburbs? Citadel? TENEMENTS!?