Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elmo972

A question for those who weren't introduced to Doom in the 90's (like me))

How did you decide "Hey, im gonna play this game from 1993" and how did you get hooked? Personally i got into Doom because i wanted to try making maps for games.

The game has quite a reputation. It's always mentioned when talking about history of video games (especially when talking about FPS games) so most of the folks are at least aware of its existence and its importance. When there's an easy way to access the game, it does make you feel like "welp, might as well take a look at it myself".

That experience was Xbox Live Arcade about ten years ago for me. "Free trial, oh boy!", I said and downloaded it.

I got into Doom because it's relatively easy to map for. Also because I don't have much choice with my old compuner.

I used to watch my dad play PSX Doom when I was younger. While Doom 3 ended up being the first Doom for me, I do recall briefly playing Doom II and TNT on the PC early on too. I think I got "hooked" onto Doom after playing the entire games on the BFG Edition. My dad mentioned wanting to try out Brutal Doom (he watched YouTube videos of it) and that got me into trying out source ports and custom maps/mods.

I don't think I ever viewed it early on as a "game from 1993". I just thought it looked fun and I wanted to play it too.

My dad introduced me to the doom games at a very young age, and I have fond memories of playing coop in doom 95 and splitscreen in doom legacy. Have been into playing doom ever since, and im still very thankful to him for showing me the games and playing them with me in multiplayer, I still remember asking him to put in the cheats when I felt like playing solo because I was really bad at the game, heh.

I first found out about Doom when my Dad bought me and my Brother the Xbox Live arcade version when it first came out. I wouldn't say I was "hooked" until I saw the ADGQ 2013 speedrun and decided to try this "speedrunning" thing when I got a PC copy of the game from GOG.com

I was introduced to it in 2016, but not because of the DooM 4, but because of the TotalBiscuit's (R.I.P.) video on Brutal DooM. Afterward I played nothing but for a year or two, and then gradually started liking more vanilla experiences.

I remembered reading about it way back in Game Informer's Top 100 Games of a All Time list, back in issue #100, and being interested in playing it for several years after. Then I found an old copy of Playstation Doom at a used games store, and ended up playing that through probably two or three times. I downloaded the Doom Classic Complete on PS3 as soon as it was available, remembering how much I loved PS Doom and wanting more, and then about a year ago found out about the mod scene through Brutal Doom, then I played Struggle after reading an article about it via a link of Doom mods on Steam, and found Doomworld shortly after that.

I didn't decide to play Doom. It just kinda happened.

It was on the family computer and I found it casually, played it because I had time and I loved it, my only other videogames back then were a racing game called Re-Volt and some version of Contra.

It was the shareware by the way, took me years to play the full version.

I've been a retro game fan since 2010-2011, and still mostly rely on emulation. Played the 32X port of DOOM first, then found out that it has an SNES version, so I played it as well. I later found out that it's originally an oldie PC game. The rest is history.

It came out of an interest of wanting to play the classics, mostly to say that I have. I actually played Quake first, I think, but the versatility of Doom modding (even with the vanilla engine) is what kept me around.

Watched someone in my family play Plutonia, and years later, started playing Doom on and off since 2011-2012 with Microsoft's WINDOOM port, also trying out old versions of source ports along the way.

My dad gave me his GBA and a few games. Then one time I noticed there was a GBA cartridge on the shelf where we put all our games, called "Doom II". I decided to give it a try.

Back in the 90's, I used to play games like Crystal Caves or Prehistorik 2. My closer realistic 3D experience at the moment was Descent.
My PC was a 486 and we had to reboot Windows 95 several times since it worked pretty bad.

I remember one of the times it came repared, Doom was installed in my PC.
I've heard of Doom on old Software Magazines ads and Shareware CDs with levels I had in my home, but never played it.

I just opened the titlescreen and demons, guns and a red vibrant screen appeared with a very unsettling music, I was shocked.
I remember seeing the skull on the select screen, I thought it was an enemy looking at me.
I wasn't good at reading english at the time so I just closed the game and it screamed at me. It was horrifying for a first experience.

But I always was curious so I reopened it later. Played E1M1. I felt like I was on a apocalyptic scenario, since they were piles of gore on the floor and everything looked abandoned.
I remember imagining that the Zombieman would pop up at my screen like an screamer.
The game made me feel very mortal, like I was being hunted.

As a child who never seen anything like it and without any friend or adult near me, it was pure horror. When I get to E1M2, I closed the game because they were too many Zombiemans.
Of course, I grew up, enjoyed a lot of horror movies, books, vintage comics, thrash metal albums and stuff.
In the recent years I've started searching any game I've played in my childhood. And any game I would like to play at the time but couldn't because lack of internet.
First I've searched for Heretic because I wanted to play it, I saw many ads of Shadow of the Serpent Riders on Magazines, then I remembered Doom, discover how the Wads worked, the source ports, the history of Doom, then Sigil came out. And had a lot of fun since then.

I was well introduced to Quake II and Quake III at their respective launch times. Doom was a game right before my conscious time on this earth, but I had heard about it for a few years before playing. I was given the GBA version in 2003, played the Xbox 360 arcade port in 2006, and finally had my way at the PC version in 2007.

Sadly its  because of this, I have never had the aspect of being "Afraid" of classic Doom's graphics (crazy in 1993). But that has never made me look at the game any less then a masterpiece.

My dad introduced me to Doom when I was a little kid (about as a 3-4 years old)
Maybe it's just pure nostalgia, or maybe because playing Doom is still fun

i don't know the full story on how I first got into DooM but I know that back in my youthful days I did enjoy playing Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic edition specifically <3). The fact that a game made in the mid 90's still had some rocking, awesome tracks and creepy atmosphere despite it being outdated and cheesy AF really sat well with me.

The first time I knew about "DooM" was a disc that was red and black and apparently came with a "level editor" on it. Sadly I no longer have the disc so I don't know which multi-pack game disc thing I had but I did always want to try and find a copy of it and see what editor was on that disc... *sigh*

Over time I did slowly try out other old 90's PC games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Jazz 2, Postal 2, etc... and eventually I found DooM! Well, more specifically I found ZDooM and the youtuber "chubsdoomer" who did a DooM 2 tutorial series that I watched a lot. One thing led to another and soon I became a DooM mapper.

Fast forward ~5-6 years and I created TMoD episode 0 and well.... some people here know the rest. ;)

I was on the Xbox Live Arcade in 2010, looking for some good games to download. My dad happened to be passing by and said "Doom! That's a good game!" And I was like "huh?" so I downloaded it and here we are.

My first exposure to the old Doom games was through the original Xbox versions, which came with the special edition of Doom 3. Think I was in my early teens at the time.

I got hooked on Doom after playing the flash port of episode 1 on school computers when I was 11, took me forever to finish the episode though since I could only play after finishing my work the day. 

Had it installed by a family friend when I was a wee lad, liked it then, like it now, so I'm still here.

My father since I was born was a person who played many video games, one of them was doom, when i used his pc i played Doom and from there I love this game

10 hours ago, Mara said:

Xbox Live Arcade

thats also how i got into doom. i got into it during a time where minecraft and black ops 2 were big, so i saw an fps game with pixel textures and i was on board

1 hour ago, pc234 said:

I saw my dad playing it when i was 6

^Same. My dad got me into doom around the same age back in 2001 or 2002.

However, I moved to newer games after a couple of years. I didn't return to Doom until around 2015-ish after witnessing and being impressed by the modding scene of this game.

I started by playing Doom 4. The opening was confusing for me because I thought there was some story I missed out on in the original games, so that's why I got into Doom. After playing Doom 1 and 2, I realized that I was an idiot for thinking there was a story in Doom. In addition, I felt obligated to play the originals as well.