Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robot J

How to fix Sprite Name Error?

Question

So I am making a little wad in doom that adds a bunch of weapons and one of them I called the Plasma Charger and when I was in the script for the custom projectile I put this here: Actor CHRG : PlasmaBall and Then when I boot up GZDoom with the wad it says Script error, "BFL.wad:DECORATE" line 35:
Sprite names must be exactly 4 characters when the sprite name CHRG is exactly 4 characters. I would really appreciate the help.

8 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Robot J said:

So I am making a little wad in doom that adds a bunch of weapons and one of them I called the Plasma Charger and when I was in the script for the custom projectile I put this here: Actor CHRG : PlasmaBall and Then when I boot up GZDoom with the wad it says Script error, "BFL.wad:DECORATE" line 35:
Sprite names must be exactly 4 characters when the sprite name CHRG is exactly 4 characters. I would really appreciate the help.

I can tell you already that you're confusing actor name and sprite name.

"Actor CHRG : PlasmaBall" is the declaration, you're creating an actor named CHRG and saying it inherits from PlasmaBall. It doesn't matter whether your actor's name is four characters or not, take PlasmaBall for example, it's a perfectly valid actor name and you're deriving your actor from it.

Sprite names are used in the states definition block. This is where your error is. But we can't tell you what it is exactly because you haven't posted your code, just the one line from the declaration.

18 hours ago, Gez said:

I can tell you already that you're confusing actor name and sprite name.

"Actor CHRG : PlasmaBall" is the declaration, you're creating an actor named CHRG and saying it inherits from PlasmaBall. It doesn't matter whether your actor's name is four characters or not, take PlasmaBall for example, it's a perfectly valid actor name and you're deriving your actor from it.

Sprite names are used in the states definition block. This is where your error is. But we can't tell you what it is exactly because you haven't posted your code, just the one line from the declaration.

and

21 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

We would love to see the script to know what is the problem

I had to get some sleep but Would you like me to copy and paste it or screenshot it?

Well I'll do both just incase.

Actor CHRG : PlasmaBall
{
Damage 10
BounceType "Doom"
BounceFactor 5.0
Obituary "Someone got melted XD"
Seesound "YellowPlasma/fire"
States
{
Spawn:
    YPLS AB 6
    Loop
Death:
    YPLS C 6
    YPLS D 4
    Stop
}
}

YPLSSCRIPT.PNG

It seems that the error is not inside that code, since the problem is in the line is 35, and your code reaches 18

Make sure you see that other codes and check the indicated line

I changed it to a different DECORATE file to see if it would work but it just switches the error to "BFL.wad:DECORATE" line 1:
Sprite names must be exactly 4 characters

Is this #included from another lump? There's no reason for the parser to be expecting a sprite name here.

I suspect the problem comes from an earlier definition where the states block was not closed, so it's still in state parsing mode and trips on the word "actor" being five characters.

Had to delete and remake the decorate file and script but was able to fix it. Thanks for the help!