Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

What Do You Think Of Biohazard 7 (Resident Evil)?

It may not be Biohazard, but it is a good game on its own. What do you think? :)

Edited by The Strife Commando

Honestly, when I first heard of it I was rather dismissive of it because of the change to first person, an approach that I think is generally overused in horror games these days. 

But I played it and, it gets dangerously close to being fresh. And of course it has to then ruin that by tying everything back into Umbrella. I love the classic series prior to RE4, I hate RE4-6 and don't like the Revelations games particularly strongly, and since RE4, RE7 was the effort I respect the most, in terms of trying to go back to the idea of what the old games represented but trying to move forward in storytelling and themes. I am of the position that there's no where to go with the Umbrella storyline and I honestly wish they'd just break from it entirely and I think RE7 would have flirted with greatness if it just did that.  

Greatest Resident Evil in years. My favorite RE right alongside REmake and RE2 Remake. 

It may not be Biohazard, but it is a good game on its own.

That's wrong. It's Biohazard/Resident Evil 100% through and through. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Greatest Resident Evil in years. My favorite RE right alongside REmake and RE2 Remake. 

That's wrong. It's Biohazard/Resident Evil 100% through and through. 

How? :)

Your character is locked in a vast house in the middle of nowhere with few, if any allies.

You have to solve puzzles to progress while avoiding monstrous creatures due to limited ammo.

Part of the game involves being chased by an invulnerable boss you can only momentarily stun, and that wastes precious ammo. 

The final section of the game involves an underground laboratory that is responsible for the creation of the monsters throughout the game.

The final boss initially fills up part of a room and you need to deal enough damage to not be consumed by them. 

At the very end, an ally drops the weapon you need to beat the boss from above. 

It's clearly a Resident Evil game. I don't know what other kind of game it's supposed to be. 

On 5/9/2020 at 5:21 AM, The Strife Commando said:

It may not be Biohazard, but it is a good game on its own.

Its definitely Biohazard, the only thing it did different is the Camera Angles and the amount of Enemies.

The Puzzles, the BOWs and the exploration is there, its just that this time you are being chased my 3-4 Tyrant-ish enemies.

50 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

The Puzzles, the BOWs and the exploration is there, its just that this time you are being chased my 3-4 Tyrant-ish enemies.

That is a strong indication that it wants to be Clock Tower. That's fine though, every horror game should want to be Clock Tower :P 

I played a bit on PS4 and it was really good. I had headphones plugged into the controller and I was playing in a dark room and it was very atmospheric.

I had a blast both regular and VR, i was skeptical of the molded at first but they make for pretty cool/creepy enemies. First person is more immersive to me so i welcomed the novelty(not if you count survivor) but i can understand the objections.
The atmosphere brought me back to Resident Evil's roots and makes it one of my favorite entries.

10 hours ago, hybridial said:

That is a strong indication that it wants to be Clock Tower.  

Cuz god forbid RE change up the formula right?

Do we really want another 300 clones of RE5 again??

9 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Cuz god forbid RE change up the formula right?

Well it wasn't even the first time RE showed the inclination given RE2 and 3 both having similar elements. But like I said, they're very good elements. So of course in RE3make they completely fuck up the Nemesis because Capcom seem to be the in the one step forward-two step back mentality right now. I don't expect a Clock Tower 4 or Haunting Ground 2 from them anytime soon, and that is very sad. 

Incase anyone wonders, first person is not the reason I didn't consider it to be Biohazard.

17 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Incase anyone wonders, first person is not the reason I didn't consider it to be Biohazard.

I'm curious to hear more. I think its far more a Resident Evil (Honestly I like that name more than Biohazard) than RE4 through 6 were and I would happilly jettison all those games into non-existence. Especially 4, 4 was more than any other game in the series a complete joke in terms of feeling like any of the other games. 

I literally made a list of reasons of why RE7 is clearly a Biohazard game so now I'm just baffled that you don't consider it one. 

37 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I'm curious to hear more. I think its far more a Resident Evil (Honestly I like that name more than Biohazard) than RE4 through 6 were and I would happilly jettison all those games into non-existence. Especially 4, 4 was more than any other game in the series a complete joke in terms of feeling like any of the other games. 

Funny, one of those games again. RE4 is actually the only RE game I've played, and also enjoyed, on a Playstation - back when it was only a few years after I stopped playing on NES, so touching a controller didn't make my brain split in half, like it does nowadays.

I agree with what you said in a previous post though, the RE games that came after don't seem too good, making Biohazard 7 a return to form (I've seen the old games, but not played them), and the Umbrella storyline is just a dead end without anything new to offer.

RE4 is in this weird position where it saved the series (people were getting reeeeealllly sick of tank controls, especially since 3 RE games had recently released in the span of two years) and also created a new form of rot that almost killed the series (RE5 and 6 tried to be RE4 and couldn't replicate what made it fun). 

RE7 is easily my new favorite RE game. I avoided it for so long thinking I'd be disappointed in it. Then I finally bought it and played it and loved it, so much that I regretted not buying it so long ago.

And now I'm stealing its HUD for my own project lol.

The first Resident Evil game I completed. I'd actually owned Remake and 4 for a while but only touched them once or twice. RE7 got me into the series, and we got RE2make right after it which was my favorite game from 2019. I beat REmake soon after which was also a brilliant game. I recently put a few hours into RE3make, beat it, and thought it was good, but a major step down from the previous 2 entries (7 and 2). Anyhow, back to 7, its pretty excellent up until the last 2 hours or so, where it isn't nearly as good, but passable. Everything involving the baker estate is brilliant, and it manages to reference a ton of western horror films, giving it a distinct feel among the other titles (especially that escape room segment). The first person perspective was a natural fit for Resident Evil (I think I read somewhere that the first one was originally going to be first person, but I'm not sure).

TL;DR: I'm really attached to RE7 as it was the first one I completed, and made me a Resident Evil fan.

RE4 is the only game in the series that I actually enjoy (having only played up till that one*) .. I played both 1 and 2, but never went back to them after. 4 I finished several times and will play the mercenary mini-game of it is there to play. 

*mostly because I don't have hardware for the rest, 5 and 6 being 4-likes makes me want to play them too. 

I feel like I should go into detail more my feelings on Resident Evil 4. 5 and 6 are straightforward, just as Mr Freeze said they're attempts to replicate RE4 in gameplay. I feel the one and only things they have over 4, is they feel in terms of storytelling, a bit more at least like they're set in the universe of the other games, but that is very thin, I mean fuck, Chris punching boulders was a thing that really happened. 

RE4 itself, was for the time a game that sailed on being one of the most cinematic action games of the time and is highly reliant on set pieces, and tropes that I really went on to dislike in later games. But I did not hate it at the time, I hate it now, for fair reasons I think. One being it is horribly dated now. I actually did try to play the HD steam edition at one point for a bit and just, ugh, I'd rather play Dragons Lair, at this point, that had less QTEs. The other is that in terms of theme, tone and storytelling it has nothing to do with any of the others, at all. It's dumb, its Micheal Bay-level Schlock, it tries a bit to invoke some level of horror in the opening segments but then completely gives up and I think if it just hadn't been labelled a Resident Evil game I'd have much less issue with it, but it is Resident Evil Fucking 4 and because of that we got Resident Evil Fucking 5 and Resident Evil Fucking 6. That's plenty to blame it for. :P 

Resident Evil Remake is by far to this day the best game the series ever produced. Resident Evil 2 Remake was better than I expected but not something that did the original better, I'd still take the original at this point. And Resident Evil 3 Remake is lame and worse than it should have been coming off the last game. 

If they do Code Veronica, I really want them to embrace the hammy charm of the original, but I expect if we do get it they'll find ways of making it bland. They definitely did a number on RE3make for that. 

If they remake CV I hope they scrap everything CV did and make it a brand new game. We can rag on RE4 for being over the top and schlocky, but CV had Wesker fighting like a Wuxia character, endless backtracking and the worst side character of all time AKA Steve "Discount Leonardo DiCaprio" Burnside. 

I hope they build upon the ending of RE3R and feature Chris and Jill taking down Umbrella Europe and make that the game, for us that weren't able to play Umbrella Chronicles. 

17 hours ago, hybridial said:

I don't expect a Clock Tower 4 or Haunting Ground 2 from them anytime soon, and that is very sad. 

Why expect that though? RE, CT and Haunting Ground are very different from each other, with the only common thread being they're horror games.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

If they remake CV I hope they scrap everything CV did and make it a brand new game. We can rag on RE4 for being over the top and schlocky, but CV had Wesker fighting like a Wuxia character, endless backtracking and the worst side character of all time AKA Steve "Discount Leonardo DiCaprio" Burnside. 

Yeah I don't really like anything to do with Wesker at the end of that game, I kinda feel like if anything the entire Chris section didn't really need to be there. However aside from that (and Steve was kinda terrible but that's a character problem not a story or tone problem) but the stuff with the Ashfords was just great, feeling more like classic monster movie stuff than the overwrought Hollywood action of the later games. It's over the top in a different way that's actually interesting, for its faults, RE4 is still much, much more terrible in every way. I would say yeah, scrap the Chris/Wesker stuff at the end, rewrite Steve to be less terrible, and develop the rest of it more, it could be great. 

But yeah based on RE2make and RE3make, whatever they do, if they do it, bet its bland. 

7 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Why expect that though? RE, CT and Haunting Ground are very different from each other.

Well, not really, Haunting Ground is a Clock Tower game in all but name, least a Capcom Clock Tower anyway (they did make 3 after all), and we've already established how much RE borrowed from Clock Tower's gameplay ideas at least (granted the kind of storytelling in Clock Tower is always weirder and more interesting). I'd say if I had much faith they'd do a good job of it, a remake of Clock Tower could be amazing, if they get a good director who focuses on its style, because a lot of Clock Tower's qualities come from its sources of inspiration, being most directly the movies Phenomena, and Suspiria. Of course the closest we've had like that so far is Remothered, which was actually really good and I look forward to its upcoming sequel. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I literally made a list of reasons of why RE7 is clearly a Biohazard game so now I'm just baffled that you don't consider it one. 

I know. I said was, so it is a Bio title.

Steve is underappreciated. He's not meant to be another manly guy that we see in every other game and RE title.

3 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

The first Resident Evil game I completed. I'd actually owned Remake and 4 for a while but only touched them once or twice. RE7 got me into the series, and we got RE2make right after it which was my favorite game from 2019. I beat REmake soon after which was also a brilliant game. I recently put a few hours into RE3make, beat it, and thought it was good, but a major step down from the previous 2 entries (7 and 2). Anyhow, back to 7, its pretty excellent up until the last 2 hours or so, where it isn't nearly as good, but passable. Everything involving the baker estate is brilliant, and it manages to reference a ton of western horror films, giving it a distinct feel among the other titles (especially that escape room segment). The first person perspective was a natural fit for Resident Evil (I think I read somewhere that the first one was originally going to be first person, but I'm not sure).

TL;DR: I'm really attached to RE7 as it was the first one I completed, and made me a Resident Evil fan.

A problem with 7 is that it puts in stuff such as Evil Dead references and such.

11 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

A problem with 7 is that it puts in stuff such as Evil Dead references and such.

How is that a problem? the entire RE series is based on B-Horror movies along with all its tropes;

the main Villain of RE1 literally wears glasses indoors... at night

17 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Respectfully disagree. 7 really gets the tone right, with genuine horror as well as schlock, which has been a major part of the series since the first title.

1 hour ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I must politely inform you, good sir, that you're wrong in every way. Code Veronica is the only RE game I ever enjoyed enough to beat it, and I still think it's awesome. It had a super weird other feel to it that few of the preceding or subsequent titles managed to achieve. 

RE 7 was amazing, at first sight it seems like a radical change due to the FPS perspective but after playing it for the first time it was far from the truth, you were exploring this freaky house, solving puzzles, backtracking, managing your inventory, conserving ammo and trying to avoid combat when possible, it had the main structure of the classic RE games and after playing 5 and 6, it was such a pleasant surprise to see the series go back to it's roots again, the story was very disconnected from the main series with a few small ties, but i didn't minded that at all after completing the game tbh

Before it was announced i wouldn't had tought that RE would scale back and go back to survival horror gameplay, since 5 and 6 were such a big action titles and it seemed it was gonna stay that way. I do hope that capcom pauses the remakes a bit and gives us a sequel to 7 next and builds on the FPS horror genre of that game since as it is, RE 7 stands alone in the series so much due to the perspective

9 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

How is that a problem? the entire RE series is based on B-Horror movies along with all its tropes;

the main Villain of RE1 literally wears glasses indoors... at night

"Man after my own heart" - Grigori maybe.

7 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

since 5 and 6 were such a big action titles and it seemed it was gonna stay that way.

Yeah, that's kind of my problem with these games as well, they're too action focused and all the horror goes to waste as a result.