Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

What Do You Think Of Biohazard 7 (Resident Evil)?

9 minutes ago, hybridial said:

From a writing perspective I'm not a fan of using "multiverse" explanations. No, these were simply a take on this story done by a different author, and they sucked. And it doesn't matter that they're "different", I disagree with the decision to make them so different, there's a lack of justification for it. I had less issues with RE2make mostly because I don't think the characters were as dissonant with the originals (I mean RE4 Leon is far less like RE2 Leon than RE2make Leon) and they weren't written badly on top.  

I mean to sum up, don't suck, because if you do, then it looks bad next to the originals and makes it hard to justify you even exist. And RE3make across the board, just isn't very good. 

Please ignore my original post, when I wrote the multiverse theory I missed the "remake" part in "sequel to Resident Evil Remake" and wrote it under the assumption that it's connected to the original and I proceeded to hypothesize that it might not be the case. That's why I edited it immediately, but I was already too late - guess I was dreaming on my chair :v .

At any rate, again, I don't think the remakes suck, as different as they may be from the source material, nor do I think that the originals will be forever tainted by them if they're trash. You could say the same for other series which went to shit after a few games, but I never look at the situation like this. Besides, from what I've seen so far, RE3R had a rather positive reception, so maybe it's just a difference of opinion.

Just now, seed said:

RE3R had a rather positive reception.

That's never going to mean anything is actually good. And no, I'm not interested in an argument against that point because, lets just not go down that rabbit hole okay? :P Unless you're willing to try to argue why Twilight is good because a tonne of teenage girls and middled aged women liked it, it's not going to work.

And again, I think RE2R from a writing perspective is mostly fine, RE3R is a lot worse and I think Capcom didn't treat it creatively the same, basically outsourcing it and not really giving a fuck. I'd say RE3R doesn't even fit well with RE2R because that tried to be a horror game and RE3R doesn't.

It does totally fail in terms of writing consistency in that regard, and the truth is most people don't care, hence the positive reception. But I have seen at least some people at least somewhat agree with my position, that its pretty underwhelming at least. These people are certainly correct. 

21 minutes ago, hybridial said:

That's never going to mean anything is actually good. And no, I'm not interested in an argument against that point because, lets just not go down that rabbit hole okay? :P Unless you're willing to try to argue why Twilight is good because a tonne of teenage girls and middled aged women liked it, it's not going to work.

And again, I think RE2R from a writing perspective is mostly fine, RE3R is a lot worse and I think Capcom didn't treat it creatively the same, basically outsourcing it and not really giving a fuck. I'd say RE3R doesn't even fit well with RE2R because that tried to be a horror game and RE3R doesn't.

It does totally fail in terms of writing consistency in that regard, and the truth is most people don't care, hence the positive reception. But I have seen at least some people at least somewhat agree with my position, that its pretty underwhelming at least. These people are certainly correct. 

Oh absolutely, I never meant to allude to that - please never, ever confuse me with someone who finds peace in the majority/crowd/conformity, I find that deeply offensive ;p . I referred to that because dumpster fires usually make headlines these days.

Also Twilight good, I've heard that argument before and god damn it I cannot understand why some people unironically find it good, it's badly written, the representation of vampires/werewolves is pathetic, and so on... - it's probably coming from people who romanticize the shit outta these things and have low standards. Their lives be fading as I suck and bite :D .

So there's more issues to RE3R then, not just merely being less consistent, if I get that right. Fair enough, that warrants further investigation from my part then. I really liked what I saw they did with RE2R, so if it's a noticeable downgrade from it, then I should be able to spot that. Also, it was outsourced? Why... that could explain the downgrade in quality if true...

1 minute ago, seed said:

So there's more issues to RE3R then, not just merely being less consistent, if I get that right. Fair enough, that warrants further investigation from my part then. I really liked what I saw they did with RE2R, so if it's a noticeable downgrade from it, then I should be able to spot that. Also, it was outsourced? Why... that could explain the downgrade in quality if true...

Yeah, I felt the first sign there was going to be issues was the development cycle, like these days AAA games take a few years to make so when they announced it so soon after the release of RE2R, it made me wonder how much importance Capcom placed on developing the game. The game kind of comes across as expansion dlc for RE2R that they tried to justify a full price for by including an online multiplayer mode which, to be fair might be interesting but from what I gather has practically already failed, like most pack in multiplayer games. 

And on the writing specifically, I don't feel there was much editorial involvement, it does seem like they just let x people do whatever they want and that's a bad idea imo, for remakes as much as anything else. 

The above is why Baldur's Gate 3 is a game that I just intend to ignore, because they've given one of the most iconic canons in videogame history to a bunch of guys who have absolutely nothing to do with the original material, and who sucked at writing in their own games. So Sequels, remakes, reimaginings, adaptations, it matters not, people give a shit if there's any degree of faithfulness and if there's none, then its a slap in the face. 

I apply this to myself, I'm doing a novelised adaptation of the Devilman Lady anime because I'm obsessed with it, and its certainly got differences, but its very important to me it feels like it has the same spirit. And I would certainly listen to critiques given to me if anyone thought I was falling short on that for any reason. Hell I agonise myself over such questions in the creative process for it. 

But you know, in this world the most popular and beloved film series of all time has more movies within it that people hate/consider to be cash grabs than the source material that touched so many people. I'm the kind of person who would simply argue that maybe Baldur's Gate 3 just doesn't need to happen, but well, if a company thinks whoring out a name will bring in the $$$, they'll do it, because that's all they exist to do.  

i don't think the development cycle is as short as people may think: wikipedia says the game was in development for 3 years prior to its announcement in 2019. so that's about 4 years of total development time following its release this year. this is roughly the same amount of time as the RE2 remake had.

furthermore, according to some info about the upcoming RE4 remake, that was planned back in 2018. one year before the RE2 remake had come out. this makes it sound like they've had these RE remakes planned for quite a long time following the success of RE7.

24 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i don't think the development cycle is as short as people may think: wikipedia says the game was in development for 3 years prior to its announcement in 2019. so that's about 4 years of total development time following its release this year. this is roughly the same amount of time as the RE2 remake had.

If that's true then that just makes RE3make look worse because as a product it doesn't have the same level of quality as the RE2 remake had. 

2 hours ago, hybridial said:

If that's true then that just makes RE3make look worse because as a product it doesn't have the same level of quality as the RE2 remake had. 

Actually that's correct, if it took just as much time to develop but it isn't on par with the predecessors it does indicate some problems, either creative burnout, short staffed/lack of manpower, time/budget constrains, or whatever.

13 hours ago, seed said:

Oh absolutely, I never meant to allude to that - please never, ever confuse me with someone who finds peace in the majority/crowd/conformity, I find that deeply offensive ;p . I referred to that because dumpster fires usually make headlines these days.

Also Twilight good, I've heard that argument before and god damn it I cannot understand why some people unironically find it good, it's badly written, the representation of vampires/werewolves is pathetic, and so on... - it's probably coming from people who romanticize the shit outta these things and have low standards. Their lives be fading as I suck and bite :D .

What's wrong with the vampires and werewolves?

Biohazard 2 Remake was originally going to be more like Biohazard 1 Remake.

RE2R was in development for so long it started out as a RE1R-style fixed-camera game, and morphed into RE4-style over the shoulder down the road. I remember hearing rumors of RE2 being remade in 2012

14 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

RE2R was in development for so long it started out as a RE1R-style fixed-camera game, and morphed into RE4-style over the shoulder down the road. I remember hearing rumors of RE2 being remade in 2012

How awesome would it have been to see Bio2 Remake in its original form. :)