Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

RAD: Source port of "RADIX: Beyond the void" using id-tech1

Nice job. This game seemed like a nice mix of Descent and Doom but I never got to try it due to the lack of a source port. Now a source port is finally here :)

This looks very cool! I wish there was a Cacoward for non-Doom source ports developed by the DOOM community, so that I could vote for stuff like this. Anything that seems impossible to other programmers, is feasible by this very community.

Do the maps have a BSP tree, and if not how did the original handle visibility? Was it a raycaster?

44 minutes ago, andrewj said:

Do the maps have a BSP tree, and if not how did the original handle visibility? Was it a raycaster? 

There is a relevant reference in one of the developer's blog, link in archieve.org is https://web.archive.org/web/20160321110324/http://www.mavorsrants.com/2012/04/thred-three-dimensional-editor.html

Each map contains a 2d array and each element of it is the id# of the wall that occupies it (in top down view). X and Y coordinates of the 2 vertexes that represent the wall are always multiples of 64. And each cell of the 2d array represents a 64x64 space. I suspect that this was an engine limitation. Of course RAD is not limited by this phenomenon.

By the way, RAD uses your old good glbsp to create the bsp tree of each map.

Wow, this is amazing- I literally just rediscovered this game a few hours ago for the first time in 20 years, and then stumbled on this thread. I've only gotten to mess with Rad for a few minutes so far, but it looks super promising- thanks for posting it!

You know how i think about this - I think this is pretty rad ;)

Really goes to show how similar certain engines were at the time.

So are you recreating the game mechanics by observation, or does any reverse-engineering of the binary executable come into play? I don't remember Radix being open source so this can't be strictly a source port, right?

Anyway, from the video it seems that gameplay is recreated pretty true to the original (I played the shareware levels quite a bit a while ago).

2 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

So are you recreating the game mechanics by observation, or does any reverse-engineering of the binary executable come into play? I don't remember Radix being open source so this can't be strictly a source port, right?

Anyway, from the video it seems that gameplay is recreated pretty true to the original (I played the shareware levels quite a bit a while ago).

The main data file is just a container. It contains lumps with a maximum name length of 32 characters (Doom WADs have only 8 chars). Textures and sprites have their own sub-containers inside the main data file. Textures are uncompressed and they can be easily extracted with a little attention to the header bytes (to find the width & height) while sprites are more like Doom patches. Also hud images are stored uncompressed, except the cockpit, which has a ... really grotesque format, that took my a whole day to understand.

Level format was able to be deciphered with the help of the game's level editor (radcad). I 've used the method of making a minimal change to the level and then observe the differences. At some point I came across with this project, but I was already knee deep in the level format. A radix level holds information about walls, sectors, things, triggers, actions, player start positions, and two "RLE-style compressed" "blockmap-like" structures that hold information about lines (like Doom blockmap) and triggers. Actions can be enabled in the beginning of the game, or must be enabled by a trigger. A trigger is activated by the player who enters a rect area of the map, by an enemy (or enemies) death, by killing a wall (yes, some walls have health!), and finally by an action that was activated by another trigger. A trigger can enable, disable or even toggle enable/disable an action. Actions can have parameters (up to 40) and the hard stuff was that each parameter can be 1, 2 or 4 bytes long depending on the action type and the data that each action holds to the disk has variable length. (for parallelism purposes think of  Hexen action parameters that are stored inside the level as 5 bytes always).  To understand the type of every parameter I had to create a giant spreadsheet with all the actions and their parameters of all levels as plain data (series of bytes), and then check the parameters with the editor to see what byte goes where. After understanding what are the action parameters, then I recreated them by observing the original game. Also the editor has friendly names for each action and its parameters (eg "circlebitmap", "movingsurface") and that helped a lot.

Enemies and weapons are recreated with observation, using the ACTORDEF scripting language of DelphiDoom, and by adding code-pointers on demand to create the desired output. Note that some details are deliberately different, since I've used my own personal taste. For example when you destroy/kill a barrel, RAD does not spawn the massive explosion of the original game. Another example is that I'm using the shield to represent the health, instead of the armor of the original game (imagine dying in Doom if your armor drops to 0). Also in the original game there are stub/idle versions of some enemies (eg E1M2 has a hangar of idle ships that must be destroyed, but RAD spawns them as normal and lethal enemies - that will be changed to match the original game)

Text messages and ending screens were extracted with a hex editor from the executable. The big menu font was created with a simple paint program.

Some things are still to be deciphered, eg ending animations (they contain an image and then who knows what data) and some other to be implemented (mostly the briefing screen that is just a script inside the game data file).

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

You know how i think about this - I think this is pretty rad ;)

Really goes to show how similar certain engines were at the time.

Radix is definitely one of the most Doom-like engines of the era. It also has a reference to Doom in first level.

I have tested this port for a while, and I gotta say, this doesn't seem to work great in my potato laptop (might send you my specs on PM).

I can only achieve around 15 FPS, 20 at most, with uncapped framerate. With capped framerate, I get around 20-21 FPS. The display, both windowed and full-screen, also seems to have some problem with (at least) Windows 7 32-bit's default display color settings.

I think windowed mode would be better with a customizable window (and appear on the center of the screen), instead of only having it always appear on upper left side. The menu could also be more intuitive, with Esc bringing you to the previous menu by once (e.g. pressing it in Settings->Display brings you to Settings instead of temporarily disabling the menu) and a visible mouse pointer.

Otherwise, keep the great work up! Best of luck for your development of this and the DelphiDoom family.

50 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

I have tested this port for a while, and I gotta say, this doesn't seem to work great in my potato laptop (might send you my specs on PM).

I can only achieve around 15 FPS, 20 at most, with uncapped framerate. With capped framerate, I get around 20-21 FPS. The display, both windowed and full-screen, also seems to have some problem with (at least) Windows 7 32-bit's default display color settings.

In what resolution do you play the game? Do you accidentally enabled "Precise but slow slope drawing" ? (Options/Display/Advanced) This could make a deep impact on performance (30% or more less). Try using 640x400 display with exclusive full-screen mode. Switching from 32 bit to 8 bit may also help performance.

Spoiler

Fps drops from 103 to 72 when enabling the precise slope drawing:

SSHOT-Radix-20200512-112948577.png

SSHOT-Radix-20200512-113001925.png

I think windowed mode would be better with a customizable window (and appear on the center of the screen), instead of only having it always appear on upper left side.

I've tried to fix this a lot of times without success, I even had the temptation to remove the windowed mode completely, but I need it for debugging purposes. I hope to succeed next time :)

The menu could also be more intuitive, with Esc bringing you to the previous menu by once (e.g. pressing it in Settings->Display brings you to Settings instead of temporarily disabling the menu) and a visible mouse pointer.

You can go to the previous menu by clicking the right mouse button or the backspace key.

Otherwise, keep the great work up! Best of luck for your development of this and the DelphiDoom family.

Thanks! Keep going!!

40 minutes ago, jval said:

In what resolution do you play the game? Do you accidentally enabled "Precise but slow slope drawing" ? (Options/Display/Advanced) This could make a deep impact on performance (30% or more less). Try using 640x400 display with exclusive full-screen mode. Switching from 32 bit to 8 bit may also help performance.

Played this on 1024x768x32. After setting it to 800x600x8 (windowed), there's a significant increase of about 35 FPS. I'll see if I can improve this with exclusive full-screen. Also, the option "Precise but slow slope drawing" is disabled.

EDIT: That did it! Having re-enabled uncapped framerate (which I suspected to have slowed down the port at first), I got a tremendous 125 FPS with 800x600x8 (exclusive fullscreen).

Edited by InDOOMnesia

52 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Played this on 1024x768x32. After setting it to 800x600x8 (windowed), there's a significant increase of about 35 FPS. I'll see if I can improve this with exclusive full-screen. Also, the option "Precise but slow slope drawing" is disabled.

EDIT: That did it! Having re-enabled uncapped framerate (which I suspected to have slowed down the port at first), I got a tremendous 125 FPS with 800x600x8 (exclusive fullscreen).

Glad you made it!

Here are some notes to help someone to adjust the performance in various hardware:

• Multi-threading on/off (Options/System/Multi-threading functions). Turning off multi-threading will slow down performance on multi-core systems but may help old hardware (like P4 with a single core with hyperthreading)
  • Change display resolution (from 320x200 up to 4k), for Full-HD or higher resolutions you will need the performance of a last generation core-i3/rysen3 or a 5 years old core-i5, i.e. 4 CPU cores.
  • 32 bit color mode may slow down lower-end hardware if the lightmap is enabled (Options/Display/Advance/Lightmap/Light Effects) or the glow light effects are enabled (Options/Display/True Color Options/Glow light effects)
  • Shared full-screen mode is slower, try exclusive full-screen mode.
  • Optimized column rendering and Optimized things rendering must be set to yes. (Options/Display/Advanced). Turn them off only to use the old vanilla Doom rendering methods (which are slower)
  • Precise but slow slope rendering (Options/Display/Advanced): If enabled RAD uses more precise but slow calculations for slopes (and RADIX is full of slopes). Enable this only on high-end hardware.
  • In old hardware you can gain performance by turning on the "Auto fix memory stall" (Options/Display/Advanced).

I have published a blog article about your RAD port and Arno's CatacombGL port. Head over here.

Congratulations @jval, this is quite an achievement.

I have some experience with developing a source port, but I was fortunate to not only have the original game source code, but also the source code of another source port that was already running on Windows. Plus quite extensive documentation on the file formats. I'm impressed that without any of these, you managed to get RADIX in a playable state. No doubt your work will renew interest into this game.

13 hours ago, Arno said:

Congratulations @jval, this is quite an achievement.

I have some experience with developing a source port, but I was fortunate to not only have the original game source code, but also the source code of another source port that was already running on Windows. Plus quite extensive documentation on the file formats. I'm impressed that without any of these, you managed to get RADIX in a playable state. No doubt your work will renew interest into this game.

Thanks @Arno

Technically, in terms of source code lines, RAD is still 90% (Delphi)Doom, so I also had a solid start base :)

Of course this leads to other problems: I've started the first episode and I was very excited that I've actually finished it without a single crash :), but I've got an I_Error() after exiting E1M8, since RAD searches for Doom's finale music :(

Anyway, that's already fixed and I also made an upload with newest r.695 (direct links in first post)

So, whoever manages to finish an episode will see my own surprise personal touch in the finale :) (since I can not yet understand the format of the ending animation lump).

EDIT:

Since it's a work in progress there are many changes that lead to Save/Load incompatibilities. So you must expect that any previous saves can not be loaded with next version (it will crash). Sorry about that, after having a stable and well tested release I'll try to maintain save/load compatibility with previous versions. 

Edited by jval

I thought this game would forever remain obscure. So good to see things like these randomly pop up. I'll give this a try later to see how it feels.

HA! I am loving that cheeky remake of the "control room" from doom E1M1. I can just here the developers saying "Bet you kids think Doom's totally rad huh? but can you do THIS??: [Flys around and shoots everything to display the highly destructible environment]

Development moves fast, v.1.0.1.737.r723 has an interesting new feature:

RAD is now able to load DOOM.WAD (not DOOM2.WAD yet) and play the classic maps as a drone.
You can load it with the -file command line parameter, or by simply dragging DOOM.WAD over RAD's icon.

Current limitations/Notes:

1. Only episodes 1-3 (sorry, no Ultimate Doom episode 4 yet)
  2. Pickups are ... out of phase, probably they must be changed to RADIX equivalents at load-time?
  3. The movement inside narrow corridors is difficult, you'll slam to walls all the time. The drone you flight is significantly faster than DoomGuy. In RADIX the vertexes of the map are aligned at 64px, so there is no passage smaller than 64px (and this rarely happens), also you can't actually fly in a sector with only 128px height. RADIX maps are ... vast, they have big open world areas and spacious corridors. Closed rooms have high ceilings, so you can fly.
  4. Weapons do not work well in small rooms, remember you don't have a gun in front of you, but 2 guns on the left and right wing. It's very difficult to target an enemy in front of you.
  5. You can fly, so... some maps do not make any sense.
  6. Health regeneration makes survival easier, but keep in mind that also your weapons have less firepower than Doom's. Not easy to get killed but not easy to kill either.

But besides that, now you can actually make maps for RAD using the classic DOOM editing tools!

Near future plans include the development of a tool that will create a WAD file from RADIX.DAT with all the assets you'll need to start mapping, as well as a DoomBuilder configuration file.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

SSHOT-Radix-20200514-220648483.png

Gameplay video - RAD playing Phobos Anomaly directly from DOOM.WAD:

Spoiler

This... is mind-blowing! It takes the phrase "can it run DOOM?" to a new level, and I can't help but congratulate you for this achievement.

36 minutes ago, jval said:

Pickups are ... out of phase, probably they must be changed to RADIX equivalents at load-time?

I assume so too.

Edited by InDOOMnesia

20 minutes ago, jval said:

Development moves fast, v.1.0.1.737.r723 has an interesting new feature:

RAD is now able to load DOOM.WAD (not DOOM2.WAD yet) and play the classic maps as a drone.
You can load it with the -file command line parameter, or by simply dragging DOOM.WAD over RAD's icon.

But besides that, now you can actually make maps for RAD using the classic DOOM editing tools!

Near future plans include the development of a tool that will create a WAD file from RADIX.DAT with all the assets you'll need to start mapping, as well as a DoomBuilder configuration file.

Highlighting the bolded parts, this is rather exceptional. I figured you would implement this down the line, but not within a week.

I mean the majority of the RAD Engine is DelphiDoom, so its not completely surprising, but the ability to make levels (so one does not have to rely on RADED) is great.

Fascinating. Ill write something up about this if i can find some time.

Stunning work JVAL!

12 hours ago, Captain red pants said:

HA! I am loving that cheeky remake of the "control room" from doom E1M1. I can just here the developers saying "Bet you kids think Doom's totally rad huh? but can you do THIS??: [Flys around and shoots everything to display the highly destructible environment]

But now the Doom developers can replay: Your drone can not destruct our "control room" of E1M1, only your's. Our maps are solid as a rock!

6 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

This... is mind-blowing! It takes the phrase "can it run DOOM?" to a new level, and I can't help but congratulate you for this achievement.

I assume so too.

Thanks! And the answer is "Yes, it can run DOOM!".

As for the pickups, a simple external tool can do the job when you want to play IWADs or existing PWADs, or an option that will internally change the pickups with RADIX equivalents: Let's burn these cacos with the neutron cannon instead!

5 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Highlighting the bolded parts, this is rather exceptional. I figured you would implement this down the line, but not within a week.

I mean the majority of the RAD Engine is DelphiDoom, so its not completely surprising, but the ability to make levels (so one does not have to rely on RADED) is great.

Fascinating. Ill write something up about this if i can find some time.

Stunning work JVAL!

Thanks!

It was all designed to be that way from the start. I left the DOOM actor definitions intact deliberately, since at the very first beginning of the project I saw the opportunity to hunt demons on/from a higher (literally when you pilot the drone) level. 

At the moment these are my thoughts about mapping with RAD:

• Create a little tool that will read the RADIX.DAT file and create a WAD file with flats, textures and a sprite of each of the Radix editor things. This (resource) WAD could be loaded from DoomBuilder or Slade, so you will be able to use the game resources in editing (WYSIWYG).
  • The engine core has already all BOOM features and slopes. What it needs is an interface to the features that are not there: Walls that can be killed, destructible sectors and "complete walls" (kind of secret double sided walls that are using opaque floor texture as mid texture) are  the things that can be (easily) added. Missile walls (walls that spawns missiles) are defined by using a special texture, so it's easy to define them too, but this can can be also be parameterized. But the Radix map logic is ... so complex (triggers that enable/disable multiple actions at the same time) that the only possibility to mimic it, without modifying existing mapping tools, is to use PascalScript.
  • Forcefields can also fit to the classic editing, but with a little different approach (they could be sector based, not plain coordinates as Radix). Of course this will need non trivial engine-side changes.
  • On the other hand, a lot of things not present in Radix will be available on RAD like keys, switches, masked middle textures, transparent middle textures, fake flat effect, 3d floors etc.
  • No limitations of the original game: Upper and lower textures can be visible from the same side, line coordinates don't have to be multiples of 64, detailed world (radix levels are about 1000 walls each), no limit to the size (radix maps must fit in a 81920x2048 or a 20480x8192 rectangle,, i.e. 40960 blocks of 64x64 rectangles), RAD theoretically can go up to 64K*64K map (DelphiDoom goes up to 32K*32K with possible artifacts in higher dimensions).
  • Doom enemies, decorations etc will be available with the obvious obligation to load doom/doom2 IWADs when playing. So a Doom (or mixed Doom/Radix) themed map can be played with Doom or Doom2 WAD present. Actually this already works!
  • Ammo and weapon pickups: Probably will be left outside the DoomBuilder config file, but I'll left their mechanics dormant in the game's code. Who knows, in the very far future when your drone get destroyed, you could leave it and start dooming the classic way (I can not promise that, seems impossible at the time).

2 hours ago, jval said:

Thanks!

It was all designed to be that way from the start. I left the DOOM actor definitions intact deliberately, since at the very first beginning of the project I saw the opportunity to hunt demons on/from a higher (literally when you pilot the drone) level. 

With all these capabilities it definitely fits as being a merger of Doom tech and Radix and should fit the ''Fan-Made games'' label on the Wiki.

With that said, i didn't know you worked on this aswell 16 years ago. Nice looking Doom models (From Doomsday, i believe?) you have there ;)

Spoiler

I actually tried it out on my Windows 7 work machine today, but it is made in the uncommon Direct3D Retained Mode. I got a few seconds of gameplay but it would crash immediately, even with the correct dll downloaded.

2 hours ago, jval said:

At the moment these are my thoughts about mapping with RAD:

• Create a little tool that will read the RADIX.DAT file and create a WAD file with flats, textures and a sprite of each of the Radix editor things. This (resource) WAD could be loaded from DoomBuilder or Slade, so you will be able to use the game resources in editing (WYSIWYG).
  • The engine core has already all BOOM features and slopes. What it needs is an interface to the features that are not there: Walls that can be killed, destructible sectors and "complete walls" (kind of secret double sided walls that are using opaque floor texture as mid texture) are  the things that can be (easily) added. Missile walls (walls that spawns missiles) are defined by using a special texture, so it's easy to define them too, but this can can be also be parameterized. But the Radix map logic is ... so complex (triggers that enable/disable multiple actions at the same time) that the only possibility to mimic it, without modifying existing mapping tools, is to use PascalScript.
  • Forcefields can also fit to the classic editing, but with a little different approach (they could be sector based, not plain coordinates as Radix). Of course this will need non trivial engine-side changes.
  • On the other hand, a lot of things not present in Radix will be available on RAD like keys, switches, masked middle textures, transparent middle textures, fake flat effect, 3d floors etc.
  • No limitations of the original game: Upper and lower textures can be visible from the same side, line coordinates don't have to be multiples of 64, detailed world (radix levels are about 1000 walls each), no limit to the size (radix maps must fit in a 81920x2048 or a 20480x8192 rectangle,, i.e. 40960 blocks of 64x64 rectangles), RAD theoretically can go up to 64K*64K map (DelphiDoom goes up to 32K*32K with possible artifacts in higher dimensions).
  • Doom enemies, decorations etc will be available with the obvious obligation to load doom/doom2 IWADs when playing. So a Doom (or mixed Doom/Radix) themed map can be played with Doom or Doom2 WAD present. Actually this already works!
  • Ammo and weapon pickups: Probably will be left outside the DoomBuilder config file, but I'll left their mechanics dormant in the game's code. Who knows, in the very far future when your drone get destroyed, you could leave it and start dooming the classic way (I can not promise that, seems impossible at the time).

I really like this half-way thing between a source port and an engine remake. A Doom engine that can run and play Radix levels is actually quite wild.

The ideas you have about mapping with RAD definitely sound like a good thing, but what you also could do is something Sonic Robo Blast 2 or Doom 64 TC did and ship a modified DoomBuilder that only edits Radix specific maps. I am not sure how you think about this since its a lot more work, but if you choose to support existing builders, then i do think a mapping reference detailing the differences has to be entailed

Personally i can definitely see huge potential in this: Folks instead of creating Doom megawads, now making Radix ''megawads'' with the tool.. There is a lot that is very exciting, but how this should be marketed and get others excited for... that i do not know.

Its the same thing with DelphiDoom really - Its feature set is easily one of the higher end ports currently still in active development with a slew unique features to it, but it suffers heavily from not having a killer mapset. Even EDGE had its own source port sellers.

I am not sure what is needed to get people excited for your work. Because honestly, you are working on this for a long time now, it really deserves more recognition.

40 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

With all these capabilities it definitely fits as being a merger of Doom tech and Radix and should fit the ''Fan-Made games'' label on the Wiki.

With that said, i didn't know you worked on this aswell 16 years ago. Nice looking Doom models (From Doomsday, i believe?) you have there ;)

Thanks for the nostalgia :) I actually had made an editor for this!

I really like this half-way thing between a source port and an engine remake. A Doom engine that can run and play Radix levels is actually quite wild.

The ideas you have about mapping with RAD definitely sound like a good thing, but what you also could do is something Sonic Robo Blast 2 or Doom 64 TC did and ship a modified DoomBuilder that only edits Radix specific maps. I am not sure how you think about this since its a lot more work, but if you choose to support existing builders, then i do think a mapping reference detailing the differences has to be entailed

A DoomBuilder fork would be fantastic, since the original editor (RADCAD) is 25 years old and does not offer the convenience and the ease of use of modern tools. Obviously it would not use the actual map format of Radix, but an extented Doom format (eg extra lumps) to encapsulate all the information. I've also thought of UDMF but even that does not suffice to hold all the level information (RAD and DelphiDoom read UDMF map format but do not work correctly and this feature is dormant for years)

I actually wanted to mention a modified DoomBuilder in my previous post, but I've made just a simple mention instead:

Spoiler
3 hours ago, jval said:

without modifying existing mapping tools

And, by the way, haven't touched C++ for 25 years :)

Personally i can definitely see huge potential in this: Folks instead of creating Doom megawads, now making Radix ''megawads'' with the tool.. There is a lot that is very exciting, but how this should be marketed and get others excited for... that i do not know.

Its the same thing with DelphiDoom really - Its feature set is easily one of the higher end ports currently still in active development with a slew unique features to it, but it suffers heavily from not having a killer mapset. Even EDGE had its own source port sellers.

I am not sure what is needed to get people excited for your work. Because honestly, you are working on this for a long time now, it really deserves more recognition.

Probably a dedicated/semi-dedicated site, extended documentation, more examples, a better OpenGL renderer, a friendly name, paid advertising :)  Who knows? But it's not a matter of recognition, but a matter of achieving personal satisfaction by working on something I enjoy so much!

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Some YouTube gameplay videos would be a good start. Although, I wish I had a better device for doing this.

14 hours ago, jval said:

Thanks for the nostalgia :) I actually had made an editor for this!

Would love to hear more about this, actually, and the engine itself! I see Doom models - Is this running any DelphiDoom code or was this not on the cards yet.

14 hours ago, jval said:

A DoomBuilder fork would be fantastic, since the original editor (RADCAD) is 25 years old and does not offer the convenience and the ease of use of modern tools. Obviously it would not use the actual map format of Radix, but an extented Doom format (eg extra lumps) to encapsulate all the information. I've also thought of UDMF but even that does not suffice to hold all the level information (RAD and DelphiDoom read UDMF map format but do not work correctly and this feature is dormant for years)

I actually wanted to mention a modified DoomBuilder in my previous post, but I've made just a simple mention instead:

Reveal hidden contents

And, by the way, haven't touched C++ for 25 years :)

Perhaps @anotak can help you out here? or do you need Ultimate Doom Builder to get the OpenGL lights working?

14 hours ago, jval said:

Probably a dedicated/semi-dedicated site, extended documentation, more examples, a better OpenGL renderer, a friendly name, paid advertising :)  Who knows? But it's not a matter of recognition, but a matter of achieving personal satisfaction by working on something I enjoy so much!

I can assist with some parts of this and its one of the first things ill work on soon :)

14 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Some YouTube gameplay videos would be a good start. Although, I wish I had a better device for doing this.

R667 coverage perhaps would help aswell?

13 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Yep!

15 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

I also had problems with video capture, but recently I discovered that the  XBox Game Bar that ships with Windows 10 can do videocapture and, actually, it works very nice :)

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Would love to hear more about this, actually, and the engine itself! I see Doom models - Is this running any DelphiDoom code or was this not on the cards yet.

No, there is not any DelphiDoom DNA in this project. It uses an engine that I had started a long-long time ago...

Spoiler

It's the same engine that some other of my old projects are using. Source code of all these projects was .. forgotten/lost, and then accidentally was found in an old PC of mine. I spend some time a couple of years ago to resurrect some of these (DoomViewer, DukeViewer, QuakeViewer, MD2Viewer and TombViewer). Unfortunately, many things in Hunter's source code were not working, so, since it was not a priority I didn't put any efforts in it...

Hunter actually had 2 editors: A landscape editor (which was not dedicated to hunter, just it was able to create a scene that could be used from all apps built with the engine) and a things editor. 

And this is the Hunter's thing editor:

hunter-editor.png

Perhaps @anotak can help you out here? or do you need Ultimate Doom Builder to get the OpenGL lights working?

I can assist with some parts of this and its one of the first things ill work on soon :) 

No, no, no.. it do not want the OpenGL lights :) :) It's a software renderer!!! LOL!!!

Anyway, any help is welcome!

1 hour ago, jval said:

No, there is not any DelphiDoom DNA in this project. It uses an engine that I had started a long-long time ago...

Reveal hidden contents

It's the same engine that some other of my old projects are using. Source code of all these projects was .. forgotten/lost, and then accidentally was found in an old PC of mine. I spend some time a couple of years ago to resurrect some of these (DoomViewer, DukeViewer, QuakeViewer, MD2Viewer and TombViewer). Unfortunately, many things in Hunter's source code were not working, so, since it was not a priority I didn't put any efforts in it...

Hunter actually had 2 editors: A landscape editor (which was not dedicated to hunter, just it was able to create a scene that could be used from all apps built with the engine) and a things editor. 

And this is the Hunter's thing editor:

hunter-editor.png

No, no, no.. it do not want the OpenGL lights :) :) It's a software renderer!!! LOL!!!

Anyway, any help is welcome!

Ill get something ready then somewhere next week. I have a busy week ahead at work but its on the short term to-do list :)

Hey. Great that someone is finally doing a more complete port of Radix :D

Just tried to play, works for me, feels quite close to original — though dynlights IMO are better to be disabled by default..

The only two thing that doesn't seem to be present, are explosion and fog effects. Otherwise, best port I've seen so far!

Separately, in case someone is interested in the context of GZDoom:

My Radix to Unity project (Rhodix) is rather useless and abandoned, however, I also made a converter from Radix levels to UDMF (without scripts and IIRC without rotations/correct offsets on slopes), which is not on GitHub:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/aw7la2ww5cid6hj/RadixScripts.zip/file

And all converted levels:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/msk4i41muc2gtog/RadixStuff.zip/file

There was another guy (Lewisk3) who implemented monsters, weapons and pickups on GZDoom.

The joint effort looked like this, but then I also abandoned it ;)

However, because of this, GZDoom also has walls with health now :D

Edited by ZZYZX