Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bubbleman100

Bobby Prince or Mick Gordon

Damjan Mravunac, if we're naming names of artists we favour. Also Andrew Hulshult!

As for the actual discussion - Prince did a great job with MIDI, emulating music I like and making more atmospheric pieces that generally work well. Mick Gordon has done a lot of soundtrack work with recent id software games and I found they come together as rather "same-y", with his work in Doom 2016 and Eternal being preferable to his work in the newer Wolfenstein games and Rage 2.

Specifically for modern Doom games, Mick Gordon is incredible, although the music is rather too stop/start and discordant for general listening. For general background music, I prefer Bobby Prince's style (although I'm only used to hearing him and Lee Jackson limited to MIDI). Bridging the gap, the two artists I mentioned above (as well as whoever was doing music for People Can Fly when they made Painkiller) are "better" at making music I can listen to out of context happily.

On mercredi 13 mai 2020 at 3:27 PM, Phobus said:

as well as whoever was doing music for People Can Fly when they made Painkiller

Wikipedia says the composers are Adam Skorupa and Marcin Czartynski in the infobox, and then says the soundtrack "was written by Stephen Rippy, David Rippy, and Kevin McMullan" in the article.

Mobygames full credits give this:

Sound Design: Adam Skorupa

Music and Acoustic Sets: Adam Skorupa

Ambient Sound and Music: Marcin Czartyński

Additional Ambient Music: Cezary Gapik, Patryk Gegniewicz

Music Producing: Piotr Chancewicz

Music performance: Mech Maciej Januszko (vocals), Piotr Chancewicz (guitar), Krzysztof Najman (bass), Piotr Pawlowski (drums), Janusz Lakomiec (guitar), Artur Affek (guitar, bass, programming)

No Rippy or McMullan in there.

Anyway, about future Doom soundtracks -- how about Carpenter Brut?

On 5/11/2020 at 7:31 AM, Gez said:

I hesitated to bring up the Wrack OST here, because if I'm not mistaken, @Carnevil asked him to make retro-style music, channeling his Doom and Duke Nukem 3D days.

wow didn't know about this game. The soundtrack is really kickass. how come that nobody tried to midify that great piece of work?

On 5/11/2020 at 7:31 AM, Gez said:

I hesitated to bring up the Wrack OST here, because if I'm not mistaken, @Carnevil asked him to make retro-style music, channeling his Doom and Duke Nukem 3D days.

STUPID CELLPHONE DOUBLEPOST EVERYTHING.

SORRY FOR THIS. PLEASE DELETE!

Edited by P41R47

@Gez I guess we can conclude that it's "Mech Maciej Januszko" doing the decent Ozzy Osbourne impression on the track "Painkiller", then! The curious way that's credited may explain why there's no "household names" from that soundtrack despite how it's the highlight of the game...