Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

Warnings on Doomworld. (now suspensions)

I'd hate to be one to question the judgement of the moderators, but this thread does give me the opportunity to ask: are joke video responses/image edit jokes all covered under "Shitposting" or are there exceptions? I received my warning point a few days ago for making a light-hearted joke response with a short meme video and got slapped with one. It was a pretty banal video and I was simply riffing on the last post, which was something we used to do all the time for a laugh on my old forum. I can tell this place isn't a humourless void and people are joking and gently ribbing at each other all the time so I guess I'm just wondering if perhaps this warning point I received was a mistake, too harsh a punishment or perhaps an indication that you're only allowed to be funny on here in text form?

Being a noob here myself, I'd definitely want to understand where the line is drawn in this regard.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

So was my response. :P

(Though I would bet that whoever's toilet that was isn't exactly getting very much sex.)

Cheers, sometimes on the internet it's hard to tell when someone laughs at a joke, or when I've pissed off a fan. /smiley face

When I saw Redneckerz post I thought "surely nobody has made a Stargate toilet." Then I remembered this is the internet. They should've used some blue toilet cleaner before taking the picture though.

11 minutes ago, Jello said:

Cheers, sometimes on the internet it's hard to tell when someone laughs at a joke, or when I've pissed off a fan. /smiley face

When I saw Redneckerz post I thought "surely nobody has made a Stargate toilet." Then I remembered this is the internet. They should've used some blue toilet cleaner before taking the picture though.

Yeah, that area near the hinge is... rather nasty, too.

28 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Yeah, that area near the hinge is... rather nasty, too.

Yeah, I didn't see that, it does look like it needs some cleaning. And it looks like it's in a two foot wide room. Although it's more of a water closet. But still: Google: Stargate Toilet. I'll take what I can get, because I'm not going to the time to photoshop one.

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I'd hate to be one to question the judgement of the moderators, but this thread does give me the opportunity to ask: are joke video responses/image edit jokes all covered under "Shitposting" or are there exceptions? I received my warning point a few days ago for making a light-hearted joke response with a short meme video and got slapped with one. It was a pretty banal video and I was simply riffing on the last post, which was something we used to do all the time for a laugh on my old forum.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:46 AM, Gokuma said:

My 20 year old account received its first warning point ever, 8 hours ago, for a post I made days ago, for supposed trolling, for a post I thought was right on topic.

Unless you get a bunch of them and for serious offenses, they're essentially meaningless. I got two warning points in January for one bout of "spamming" (aka 3 dumb/pointless threads posted in one day) but none of the Doomworld admins came beating down my door and I didn't seem to get any posting restrictions at all, so I think it's just a formality.

Not sure why image macros get warnings because it seems to be random, so long as the image isn't something horrible I'm not sure what the problem is. I guess it's to avoid Doomworld becoming meme central, but it does seem weird that sometimes they're okay and other times not. Again though, unless you're stacking them up in quick succession, they don't seem to actually do anything.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:03 PM, GoatLord said:

I would say, don't post memes because you'll get a warning, but I'm the only one who got in trouble for it. Selective adminning.

i got in trouble for just posting memes so not its not selective admins

3 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I've only ever gotten myself losered once.

Same with me. Accompanied with an unsigned mod message that offered so little justification for the sanction that it might as well have been left blank. No trouble otherwise.

16 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Hello everyone! 

A week or two ago, I posted a joke on a topic in Doom General that I illegally sold my dog online, and I was suspended for it.

This would only be allowed if the dog came straight from Wolfenstein3D. Nobody likes those virtual dogs. But you didn't sell such a dog.

Another observation: You posted it in Doom General. What does selling your dog have anything to do with Doom? If DoomGuy wanted a dog, he would rather play Call of Duty and have Riley at his disposal. At the very least, it should have been in Everything else.

The obvious warning flag is admitting you sold your dog illegally. I don't know why you want to admit to such a thing on a forum that wants to talk about Doom.

16 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

if I spam again or something, will I be banned? 

I think this mindset is not right. You say that you spammed and you foreshadow that you may spam again, and thus ask if repercussions will follow if you do.

Whilst casual posting is a given, why think of spamming in the first place? Why not participate with quality posts or helping people out? Its a much more satisfying way of spending time here because you help others out and you also may learn a thing or two whillst doing so.

Spamming is for spambots, not actual users who inevitably do a crappier job at it than said bots (That's why they exist, after all)

15 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Jimmy and Doomkid can stay though. They're cool guys. No fucking way am I killing some community staples.

Well, non-virtually, anyway.

I don't know Pulse. A community purge every now and then could be beneficial. :P Lets see how the community thrives without relying on community staples.  What will the newer members do?

I kid ofcourse. But there is something to be said for this - I want more community staples, new names that pop up. There are the occassional new members that deliver strongly in whatever field they are in (Whether making a killer wad, a great texture pack, a splendid midi album or uncovering a rare gem or writing for a wiki) but a lot of the stellar contributions comes from folks that have a lot of experience behind their belt.

Maybe DW can promote starting members with their releases, similar to the Croteam Incubator program. But i digress, just a thought i want to push out :)

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Unless you get a bunch of them and for serious offenses, they're essentially meaningless. I got two warning points in January for one bout of "spamming" (aka 3 dumb/pointless threads posted in one day) but none of the Doomworld admins came beating down my door and I didn't seem to get any posting restrictions at all, so I think it's just a formality.

So you are a Rowdy Rudy by heart. That's good to know. Keeping in character sells your work. :P

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Not sure why image macros get warnings because it seems to be random, so long as the image isn't something horrible I'm not sure what the problem is. I guess it's to avoid Doomworld becoming meme central, but it does seem weird that sometimes they're okay and other times not. Again though, unless you're stacking them up in quick succession, they don't seem to actually do anything.

Some memes are appropiate to the thread context or fitting or are self-made. But the whole point of a meme is to steal it from someone else and passing it off as your own, to be presented without any context and then say ''Haha Caco funny''.

14 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

i got in trouble for just posting memes so not its not selective admins

If all the post contains is a meme then i'd wager that is more subject to evaluation if anything else. Because its the lowest of efforts among with oneliners like ''K'' or ''That's just like, your opinion man'' or oneliner questions that are solved with a Google.

You have to draw a line somewhere. As far as i understand it, oneliner/repeated questions mostly get a pass (And are usually quite popular, actually) but contextless meme's more often do not.

14 hours ago, Jello said:

Depends on the toilet really.

How did you discover my bathroom portal, man?

Pff, I'm gonna have to build another. No problem, the wardrobe should be better.

@LiT_gam3rI think the best way to stay out of trouble is to just stick to talking Doom. That is what we are here for after all :-)

Don't get involved in flame wars if you can help it, stay away from any conversation involving, race, gender, religion and politics. 

If you see someone post something a bit eye brow raising, report it to a mod (I've done that plenty of times) don't confront it yourself.

And if you do say something daft and people get shitty with you, be grown up about it and apologise (I've also done that a fair few times as well heh).  

Don't mind me, just passing through and having some corn here. Not popcorn, though - my stomach hasn't been all that good lately.

I have a well warranted warning for being rude, it made me reflect and realise that "hey, I'm being a bit of dick again", it's helpful in the fact that every time I see it, it reminds me to actually read my response to someone before I post it as not to be a massive twat.

@Redneckerz it had been in response to someone's response. they made like a thing with DOOM on it or something, and I told them they could sell it. they responded that it would be illegal, so I said that I have sold things illegally (as a joke). I wasn't foreshadowing a spam, I was just asking that if I were to get another warning point, would I get banned, because I don't want a comment to be taken the wrong way, then get banned for it. 

Thanks everyone! the answers so far are great!

7 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

@Redneckerz it had been in response to someone's response. they made like a thing with DOOM on it or something, and I told them they could sell it. they responded that it would be illegal, so I said that I have sold things illegally (as a joke).

Such ''jokes'' have to rely on perfect execution, as in, everyone understands that you are being sarcastic.

You are a very recent member here. People have yet to gauge what your posting style and humor is. Seasoned members can make crude jokes because people know who they are. You and me, however, we are effectively greenhorns. Sarcasm has to be very obvious or it gets interpreted as if you are being a dick or that you are romanticizing things like animal cruelty. In your case, your joke got penalized.

Also, when I was suspended, I could no longer access Doomworld. my question is why I can't just read the forums, and just have the commenting privilege taken away from me. I don't want to miss the latest in Doom news, and I don't want that taken away from me. is there a way around that, because I can't log out when I'm suspended to read the forums.

3 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Also, when I was suspended, I could no longer access Doomworld. my question is why I can't just read the forums, and just have the commenting privilege taken away from me. I don't want to miss the latest in Doom news, and I don't want that taken away from me. is there a way around that, because I can't log out when I'm suspended to read the forums.

That's the whole point of being suspended. It exists so you can overthink your crimes. And that also means no access to the forums.

Aside that, Doomworld is not legally obligated to give users workarounds on the same thing they emposed upon the user (The suspension). That would be kinda silly, right?

4 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

is there a way around that, because I can't log out when I'm suspended to read the forums.

You could have started a new "incognito" (private browsing) window, or deleted the cookies on Doomworld, so you could view the forums logged out, unless the mods went out of their way to IP-ban you too...

On 5/30/2020 at 4:39 AM, seed said:

How did you discover my bathroom portal, man?

Pff, I'm gonna have to build another. No problem, the wardrobe should be better.

Don't put a picture of your inter-dimensional toilet on the internet. Google will find it.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:13 PM, Redneckerz said:

Such ''jokes'' have to rely on perfect execution, as in, everyone understands that you are being sarcastic.

Reminds me of that saying, don't exactly recall it word for word, but it went along the lines of "sarcasm can be indistinguishable from the real deal".

You guys keep surprising me. Since is don't seen any feedback here, and when I'm tried to report through the report (do you have any other options here?) about reopening a previously closed topic, you threatened to ban me, or something like that.
So I guess I really have nothing to do here.

LoL! I just got warned for shitposting. Pretty odd name, but I get it. I posted a meme, a very sad, old, and especially dead meme. I find it hysterical that after reading through every post, and taking notes along the way, I still post a crappy meme that gets me a warning. does anybody have a sad story like mine? I really find it funny that this happened to me. LoL!!!

18 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

does anybody have a sad story like mine?

Count me in. Not that I mind the warn, I totally had it coming.

I got one as well. I have a feeling it's related to a rather ill-timed joke in a thread that seems to have since been vaporized.

I've been pinged for "Shitposting" twice now in the month that I've been here. I really like this place and would hate to be banned for such a feckless reason, so I'm just not going to make joke image response posts from now on since I received both of them after doing so. Unless someone on staff could elaborate on which posts I made that gave me those warning points (they're not elaborated in the warning point notes) I'm left to assume you're only allowed to make jokes in text-form here. It'd certainly leave a lot of the guess-work out of the equation if I was told what it was I did wrong so I can avoid doing it again in the future because the vague copypasta left in the warning point note really isn't all that helpful.

Edited by Biodegradable

6 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I've been pinged for "Shitposting" twice now in the month that I've been here. I really like this place and would hate to be banned for such a feckless reason, so I'm just not going to make joke image response posts from now on since I received both of them after doing so. Unless someone on staff could elaborate on which posts I made that gave me those warning points (they're not elaborated in the warning point notes) I'm left to assume you're only allowed to make jokes in text-form here. It'd certainly leave a lot of the guess-work out of the equation if I was told what it was I did wrong so I can avoid doing it again in the future because the vague copypasta left in the warning point note really isn't all that helpful.

From what I gather, a 0-point Shitposting warning is basically a "knock it off" that really isn't any sort of permanent marker on you (other than the fact it'll always be there).

Or it could just be that someone on the staff hates fun. Dunno. The vagaries of old age...

Yeah, and that's the problem - not much feedback, no link to the post, no mod to talk to about it (shadowmodding may protect them from hostility, but it sure sucks for accountability and clarity).