Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

Warnings on Doomworld. (now suspensions)

22 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I got a warning point (which has expired now) back in January for spamming during the tons of "versus threads" period.

That's kind of amusing. I got one for that as well. It was just getting ridiculous. So how do you counteract ridiculousness? With even more ridiculousness. Just post, after post, after post. I actually found it pretty damn funny, but then it got shut down.

And as far as the leaderboards: Congrats Doomkid. It didn't surprise me at all.

11 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Is cursing not allowed on Doomworld? 

One thing i definitely know isn't allowed is telling the actor Kevin Bacon that his relative is Fraggle. ;)

2 hours ago, Jello said:

That's kind of amusing. I got one for that as well. It was just getting ridiculous. So how do you counteract ridiculousness? With even more ridiculousness. Just post, after post, after post. I actually found it pretty damn funny, but then it got shut down.

And as far as the leaderboards: Congrats Doomkid. It didn't surprise me at all.

I think i got one on that as well, but not sure. It was a very common theme indeed, and i suppose it was fun for those who embraced it.

Personally, didn't really enjoy them - Unfortunately the running theme had the byeffect that serious topics got kicked of the first page with very little coverage.

18 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I knew my man @Doomkid would be the unrivaled champ.

I didn't expect any less from a man who is a wadist oldschoolexual.

11 hours ago, fraggle said:

If you're going to make other people feel unwelcome

What a joke of criteria.

12 hours ago, fraggle said:

Cursing is fine. Rudeness isn't. What is absolutely not tolerated are slurs, racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. If you're going to make other people feel unwelcome, you're not going to be welcome here.

Basically, don't be a piece of shit and you should be fine.

9 hours ago, Beginner said:

What a joke of criteria.

Maybe you'd like to explain why it's so important for you that you be allowed to make others feel unwelcome?

22 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Maybe you'd like to explain why it's so important for you that you be allowed to make others feel unwelcome?

Because it's a pretty darn vague criterion. How can we know that expressing any strong opinion on touchy political/ideological matters isn't going to make someone feel "unwelcome"? If I write something along the lines of, "In my opinion, you've got to be a terrible person to support [mainstream politician X]", is that a bannable offense? How strong an opinion are we allowed to express?

2 hours ago, fraggle said:

Because that and "making someone feel uncomfortable" (another equally retarded thing) being upheld seriously as a bannable offense turns forum posting into walking on eggshels through minefield as you never know what seemingly insignificant thing may make another user or some sort of weirdo feel either "unwelcome" or "uncomfortable".

Besides, who is this "feeling unwelcome" beast? How does it even get here? How do you even find it?

Edited by Beginner

On 5/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, Beginner said:

Because that and "making someone feel uncomfortable" (another equally retarded thing) being upheld seriously as a bannable offense turns forum posting into walking on eggshels through minefield as you never know what seemingly insignificant thing may make another user or some sort of weirdo feel either "unwelcome" or "uncomfortable".

Besides, who is this "feeling unwelcome" beast? How does it even get here? How do you even find it?

What are some examples of people being unfairly banned/punished for making people feel unwelcome? And who, besides yourself, feels as if they're walking through a minefield when they spend time on Doomworld? What you're describing sounds unpleasant, but that hasn't been my experience with Doomworld (my account is relatively new, but I've been lurking for a long time).

EDIT: Three days later, still waiting for a response.

Edited by Zeddy Ryan

You guys really need to calm the fuck down.

53 minutes ago, Beginner said:

I thought I made it pretty clear in my previous comment, when I said that in the context of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. being unwelcome on the forums. Sorry if that wasn't clear. If people are habitually crossing those lines, it sends the implicit message that certain groups of people aren't welcome on these forums. That's what I mean by "make people feel unwelcome", and it's why we don't tolerate that kind of talk here.

More generally we don't like people who are rude or aggressive. The sad fact of the Internet is that there's always a small minority of people who act like that and it drives out the normal people who just want to talk about Doom, this wonderful hobby we all share. Bullies make people feel unwelcome and I was just trying to come up with a general way of thinking that covers the two categories, of "what not to do". If that's helpful or makes sense then by all means make use of it; if it doesn't make sense then feel free to disregard it. You shouldn't feel a need to walk on eggshells or think this is a minefield.

My 20 year old account received its first warning point ever, 8 hours ago, for a post I made days ago, for supposed trolling, for a post I thought was right on topic.

^ I agree with fraggle 110%

We are all doom fans on this site.  To act this way to a  fellow doom fan doesn't make any sense at all, strive to become better then that and evolve is the best way to make this site grow.  

52 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

^ I agree with fraggle 110%

We are all doom fans on this site.  To act this way to a  fellow doom fan doesn't make any sense at all, strive to become better then that and evolve is the best way to make this site grow.  

yeah!!!!

9 hours ago, fraggle said:

I thought I made it pretty clear in my previous comment, when I said that in the context of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. being unwelcome on the forums. Sorry if that wasn't clear. If people are habitually crossing those lines, it sends the implicit message that certain groups of people aren't welcome on these forums. That's what I mean by "make people feel unwelcome", and it's why we don't tolerate that kind of talk here.

Besides, if you unironically hold such views, then perhaps you should reflect on yourself and see why that is to begin with. Also newsflash, neither of these are "different views", that's not a valid excuse for abhorrent behavior. Comparing that to "walking on a minefield" is an extremely reductionist and ignorant way of looking at things.

And not being a scumbag doesn't mean you're a snowflake either, and it doesn't mean you can't question someone else's views, making them feel "uncomfortable" as a result. Yeah it's vague, admittedly, but applying some common sense should be mighty fine most of the time.

Didn't there use to be a cover-all rule "Don't be a jerk"? It's basically the only rule you need (though there is of course no harm in also specifying some things that are not allowed), and it also avoids rule-lawyering, where people try to pick holes in a set of detailed rules in order to justify, well, being a jerk.

11 hours ago, Beginner said:

Again i should strongly iterate: Do not tell Kevin Bacon that his relative is Fraggle.

Similarly, Do not tell Fraggle he is not a relative of Kevin Bacon. Trust me, its not worth the trouble.

:P

10 hours ago, Gokuma said:

My 20 year old account received its first warning point ever, 8 hours ago, for a post I made days ago, for supposed trolling, for a post I thought was right on topic.

Doom Veterans Counseling, Inc. provides a self-service on how to deal with your first warning. It is a standard option to any Doom vet with a minimum of 10 years of activity behind their belt.

DVC understands that the first offense is a difficult moment to process. With the Slayer Self-Service option, you will be given the handles to deal with this situation, both in the here and now, and in the future. 

Dr.Dacote will take you through a series of counseling sessions explaining why the warning was made, how you should deal with it and how to avoid it in the future.

This is one of the cornerstones of a company policy known as ''The Linguica Initiative''. Through The Linguica Initiative, DVC assists Doom vets and Doomers alike with their problems with mapping, correctly texturing a level, choosing which source port to use, and how to set up a linguortal, among other things. DVC is here to help you out in providing a pleasant Doom experience throughout every facet of life.

Doom is where your home is. Doom is where your heart lies.

Just dial ''666'' at the Doom Slayers Club Hell-Line and you will be approached by Donna Jackson to set up an appointment.

;)

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Didn't there use to be a cover-all rule "Don't be a jerk"? It's basically the only rule you need (though there is of course no harm in also specifying some things that are not allowed), and it also avoids rule-lawyering, where people try to pick holes in a set of detailed rules in order to justify, well, being a jerk.

Its quite a subjective rule however because what constitutes being a jerk.

• Is being passive-aggressive a byproduct of being a jerk?
  • Is dragging up old mud to substantiate a point that would be valid without the mud anyway an example of being a jerk?

Both examples could be solidified through explanation and thus adher to the rule, but what it forgets is that this enactment is applied towards real people on the other side of the screen. Just because we only see our avatar's does not mean we have a perfect perception of how things are percieved. So in that sense, the above two examples, whillst they might be okay with the general ruling, they don't really spell out that your comment is a nice one, but rather actually that of a jerk.

Not to be pedantic, mind you, i am guilty of the same crime of not always keeping in check that behind the avatar resides an actual person with an actual set of emotions and an actual timeline of his, her or their lives that keeps on running.

So basically, ''Don't be a jerk'' should be taken in a more expansive manner and be similar to as to how one acts in the real world: With a bit of consideration.

I don't want to sound demeaning or teacher-like here, just sharing my 2 cents on the matter.

I need some meds to treat my PTSD!!    Just kidding, I've never had mental meds.   And look how I turned out just fine!

Hello everyone! 

A week or two ago, I posted a joke on a topic in Doom General that I illegally sold my dog online, and I was suspended for it. first thing is first, I hate animal cruelty, and I have never even accessed the dark web. But also, I was just wondering if the reason I got suspended was that the joke was offensive, if it was thought of as a meme and spamming, or since this is my fourth warning, it would lead to a suspencion. which also I will ask, if I spam again or something, will I be banned? 

I love Doomworld, and I love DOOM, and I would hate to have the forum reading taken away from me for a tasteless joke. 

thank you all for the comments so far! I have read each of them, and I've been learning from them (or at least trying to*).

*another joke.

You can always word your text in such a way to convey the entire message without bothering anyone. Keep in mind this is written text and there's no subtext. This is a reply to some of the posts shown here, not necessarily to the above poster (whose post I didn't read at this moment). You can also edit your posts if they're not clear after the first write.

On 5/13/2020 at 10:21 AM, Linguica said:

There is a leaderboard by the way

And today I find out I have a rival.

*Assassinates @seed while they're not looking*

Jimmy and Doomkid can stay though. They're cool guys. No fucking way am I killing some community staples.

Well, non-virtually, anyway.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

*Assassinates @seed while they're not looking*

Only a fool tries to kill the dead!

2 minutes ago, seed said:

Only a fool tries to kill the dead!

Even if they send them to the next dimension?

latest?cb=20120318153818

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Even if they send them to the next dimension?

latest?cb=20120318153818

The thin-blooded could be, but I am not easily stopped. And certainly, interdimensional travelling is something I do on a daily basis 👍.

24 minutes ago, seed said:

The thin-blooded could be, but I am not easily stopped. And certainly, interdimensional travelling is something I do on a daily basis 👍.

Flushing your shit down the toilet isn't the same as interdimensional travelling, Seed.

We went over this

:P

looking at that leaderboard, it's pretty impressive to me how many old members still populate the top of the leaderboard for content count, despite their inactivity for many many years. myk, Fredrik, Naked Snake, Shaviro, etc.

I believed that you had to have at least 3 active warning points on your account in order to get permanently banned. The first warning is a warning, the second warning is a temporary ban, and the third one is a permanent ban. Ever since Doomworld adopted a warning point system, the most that I've had was 2 active warning points (one for topic bumping and the other one for rudeness), which resulted in a temporary ban. I don't know if it was just the rudeness alone that resulted in that or was it the number of active warning points that resulted in it. I know that other platforms (such as Facebook and YouTube) base their disciplinary actions on the number of violations you have orchestrated within a certain time frame (YouTube does the 3 strikes system where the strikes expire 90 days after the last strike was received).

6 hours ago, Jello said:

Depends on the toilet really.

audycpid6ip21.jpg

So you're transporting your turds to Grrrash Tak'nyrrr. Big whoop.

I'm also pretty sure that's the toilet of someone who's not having very much sex.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

So you're transporting your turds to Grrrash Tak'nyrrr. Big whoop.

I'm also pretty sure that's the toilet of someone who's not having very much sex.

It's a joke. I was just surprised that there actually was a picture of a Stargate toilet on the internet. Again, it's a joke.

15 minutes ago, Jello said:

It's a joke. I was just surprised that there actually was a picture of a Stargate toilet on the internet. Again, it's a joke.

So was my response. :P

(Though I would bet that whoever's toilet that was isn't exactly getting very much sex.)