Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Community Chest Project Map Feedback

Post your feedback to the maps that have been playtested here on this thread. Thanks everyone!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I playtested map20 'Technodrome' by Ultimate Doomer.
One word...supurb. It's a big tough map with some great touches.
I also playtested his map01 'Pistol Panic' again really nice. Refreshing gameplay, well executed.
Map17 also,'Infliction of Hate' by Andy Leaver. Great atmosphere and nice architecture. Quite a short map (no bad thing, good to have variety.), left me wanting more, which is good (looking forward to MOF).:)

Map 1 - Doesn't seem like too bad of a map, except there's tutti frutti bugs everywhere, and those 3d bridge things make Doom2 slowdown like a mother. Maybe a bit too many monsters for a map 1. Also, WTF is with all those dummies?

Map 2 - This map is great. I love the realistic detail. A few texture misaligments, though.

Map 6 crashed with an unknown thing error o_O

Map 20 crashed on startup as well

Archvile46 said:

Map 6 crashed with an unknown thing error o_O

Map 20 crashed on startup as well

Well thanks for letting us know. WTF you playing them with, sounds like Doom2.exe?

map 1 and 20 are pretty sweet maps, too bad for legacy users though, since it doesn't support "extra" player dummies...

map 02 is one of the best maps I've seen, very creative.

The dummies in map01 weirded me out too. Ultimate Doomer said map20 would only work in a port of some kind. I was under the impression we were aiming for full Doom2.exe compatibility, though i may have crumbled the savegame buffer with one of my maps. ;P

Use3D said:

The dummies in map01 weirded me out too. Ultimate Doomer said map20 would only work in a port of some kind. I was under the impression we were aiming for full Doom2.exe compatibility, though i may have crumbled the savegame buffer with one of my maps. ;P

No. We are aiming for Boom compatibility using only Doom2.exe tags.

alright, cool. then i've got no worries so far.

haven't played map02 yet, the screenshots look nice.

magikal said:

Well thanks for letting us know. WTF you playing them with, sounds like Doom2.exe?

Of course, Doom2.exe. Cadman said that the entire megawad when finished should be fully Vanilla compatible.

Deathman said:

map 1 and 20 are pretty sweet maps, too bad for legacy users though, since it doesn't support "extra" player dummies...

I don't get the point of all those dummies, though, except to be a pain in the ass if they get hit, lowering your health.

map 02 is one of the best maps I've seen, very creative.

Heh, I absolutely love that map. I just played it again, it's awesome.

Archvile46 said:

I don't get the point of all those dummies, though, except to be a pain in the ass if they get hit, lowering your health.

So make sure they don't get hit. That's the point, doh.
Playtest with Boom/PRBoom not Doom2.exe.

Archvile46 said:

its neat to use them, but they should of been placed in a certain area and time in the a map and not just all over the place, in my opinion, seems unrealistic and somewhat pointless.

although they could of been put to more creative use....ex tnt map 30 or something like plutonia map 06

magikal said:

So make sure they don't get hit. That's the point, doh.
Playtest with Boom/PRBoom not Doom2.exe.

Yeah, but they seem kinda random...

Anyway, what's the point of testing with Boom if it's eventually gonna have to work under Doom2.exe?

Archvile46 said:

Anyway, what's the point of testing with Boom if it's eventually gonna have to work under Doom2.exe?

Once again...it isn't gonna have to work under Doom2.exe. It's for a limitless source port, such as Boom, but using only Doom2 triggers and tags-no Boom specials. Playtest with Boom/PRBoom or a limitless source port that will run it.
Do you seriously think map01,06 or 20 are ever going to run under Doom2.exe? Have a look at them with a source port.

Deathman said:

although they could of been put to more creative use....ex tnt map 30 or something like plutonia map 06

err....what about the timed section? (if that's not creative, then what is?)

Yes, I decided be a little different and use them in open play, as a kind of hazard - that's why they're everywhere. (works great in some places, as you can't bfg when you're near them...)

Just to clariyy some things, this is a Boom compatible wad, is it also going to be compatible with Zdoom? My Boom is messed, but I can still use it if needed.

DOOM Anomaly said:

Just to clariyy some things, this is a Boom compatible wad, is it also going to be compatible with Zdoom? My Boom is messed, but I can still use it if needed.

Yes, unless someone makes a map that is not ZDoom compatible. I'm not aware of any, anyone?

Ultimate DooMer said:

err....what about the timed section? (if that's not creative, then what is?)

Yes, I decided be a little different and use them in open play, as a kind of hazard - that's why they're everywhere. (works great in some places, as you can't bfg when you're near them...)

oh yes, I forgot about the one in map 20, I liked that one ;)

DOOM Anomaly said:

Just to clarify some things, this is a Boom compatible wad, is it also going to be compatible with Zdoom? My Boom is messed, but I can still use it if needed.

In theory, it should work on any source port, as only doom2.exe triggers and specials are allowed. But Boom/prBoom and ZDoom are the recommended ones to use.

It probably won't look right in GL ports, as there won't be GL nodes built for it. (anyone wanting to use a GL port will have to build the GL nodes themselves)

Okay, just to clarify one major thing here about the wads.

We are using only original Doom2 tags, triggers and specials.

I said to design them so it will run on Boom/PrBoom just no Boom/PrBoom special tags.

I said Boom/PrBoom so the original bugs and game limitations would not be a problem that way the mappers could make detailed maps and bigger maps. This project is not designed to run under Vanilla Doom.

Do not attempt to test these maps under the original Doom2.exe!

Does that clarify it for you? :)

BTW, I would prefer that Boom/PrBoom is used to test these maps for consistency. You wanna play the maps using ZDoom then that's fine but for testing purposes please use Boom/PrBoom.

If you don't have the latest PrBoom then go get it!

Thanks everyone!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Shit, what about the deep-water effect from doom2.exe? I don't think it works in Boom, but I have some in my level. :/

The whole thing is based on the use of Original tags, triggers and specials. It was always stated that it should run under Boom/PrBoom. I tell you what...if you need the deep water effect and that only the Doom2.exe supports it all I ask is to make sure that it runs under Boom, if not I will allow this one time of using a Boom Special for a Deep water effect. If it's important to your map, is that okay? I'm not inflexible man, nor am I a dictator about this thing. Let me know...thanks. :)

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Okay, I just received a few maps. Would the author of map 24 (Torn) please resubmit the map there are no exits or deathmatch starts in this map! Maybe you sent me an earlier version, who knows! Also, for those interested, I have the new "status bar" for the project. I will create a new mini-wad with the maps I have so far and also include the new status bar for testing. There you go! Love ya! Mean it! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Archvile46 said:

Shit, what about the deep-water effect from doom2.exe? I don't think it works in Boom, but I have some in my level. :/

Nah, that effect does work in Boom, as it's used in my tricks wad which is designed specifically for Boom ;)

Cadman said:

Okay, I just received a few maps. Would the author of map 24 (Torn) please resubmit the map there are no exits or deathmatch starts in this map! Maybe you sent me an earlier version, who knows! Also, for those interested, I have the new "status bar" for the project. I will create a new mini-wad with the maps I have so far and also include the new status bar for testing. There you go! Love ya! Mean it! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Have you got the names for those maps, as some of them might have changed. Also, who's done the status bar? (so I can add it to the credit pic)

And finally, how many maps are done so far? (as the site never gets updated)

NiGHTMARE said:

Nah, that effect does work in Boom, as it's used in my tricks wad which is designed specifically for Boom ;)

ya i figured semi-deep water effect used in doom2.exe would be safe to play around with. besdies the deep lighting effects works fine (light cast on floor but not ceiling) under zdoom and original. I don't have prBoom, but i'm not using any special effects that won't work under orginal exe, so i should be safe, hopefully. I guess i could snag prBoom to do some final testing, but that's what playtester are for! I have my share of ports over here.

as for the site, i haven't seen Volteface on the forums in a while either, I'm sure he's just busy.