Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlayerOGames666

A Random Mapping Contest!

I thought that this part in the contest rules section means that vanilla doom maps are ok too:

On 5/13/2020 at 8:20 AM, iconofeggsafe666 said:

Maps must be exported in GZDoom-UDMF, but you can still keep it vanilla, though

7 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

I thought that this part in the contest rules section means that vanilla doom maps are ok too:

Need to update the rules. Thanks for clarifying what a newcomer wouldve said.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:39 PM, iconofeggsafe666 said:

Heh, the amount of new stuff in the final product would go over 100 MBs, due to all the content in the megawad.

Then people would complain if the end result brings nothing new to the table aside from maps and textures. So I suggest you to take some time compiling the textures into a standalone pack if necessary to reduce the file size.

19 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Then people would complain if the end result brings nothing new to the table aside from maps and textures. So I suggest you to take some time compiling the textures into a standalone pack if necessary to reduce the file size.

Don't forget new enemies, new weapons, acs, etc, etc.

It could be way more easy if you guys uses the TX_START and TX_END for the new textures, you know.

The patching up for textures it will be a pain in the ass without this lump, trust me!

Edited by Walter confetti

Alright, the video output your map made (I work with OBS) was laggy, so i will give my thoughts on the map here, @sergeirocks100.
1. None of the doors seem to work. You might want to go over your IWAD and check for any broken doors, and fix them before release.
2. It's only map08, and the level's start has Plutonia and TNT levels of hitscan combined at the start.
3. I like the original stuff showcased in the map, map08 is Tricks and Traps, and you strayed away from that map's feel. Good job!

4. The outdoor starting area looks a teensy bit strange. Mind adding some foliage and all that?

5. In the revenant attack room, missing textures are everywhere.
Overall, solid map idea, not solid execution. Try and fix some of the stuff i mentioned, send it back, and you may have a high chance of winning a spot on the megawad! :)

a lot of the map's issues stem from me pretty hastily converting it from doom format to UDMF and not playtesting, including the doors, i agree the starting area could use some work, i agree that i should go ahead and reduce the enemies on higher difficulties, the map uses some ultimate doom textures, which i forgot to include with the WAD, which is why there's missing textures in the room, i'll go ahead and resubmit the map with most of the issues fixed, although i don't think the texture issue can be solved without including the ultimate doom textures in the PWAD

55 minutes ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

Awesome Map. I loved the sprawling nature of it, so you scored a spot!

Glad you liked my map!

1 hour ago, Black Shuck 97 said:

Sounds promising, I have a gothic map I’d love to submit.

Submit it here! Hopefully it's UDMF! if not, take some time to convert it! :D

Shoot I only make vanilla maps

I don't even understand what udmf is

@Clippy You can map in the vanilla format first, then reopen it as UDMF format and fix anything weird that happened during the conversion.

On 5/28/2020 at 4:26 PM, iconofeggsafe666 said:

Submit it here! Hopefully it's UDMF! if not, take some time to convert it! :D

Maps converted and stuff just doing some playtesting and slight rebalancing for one area. Turns out it was already made it in UDMF lucky me huh? Would you like me to insert the music into the file or just have it put in the map ready for you?

@Clippy
UDMF is another mapping format, it allows for a whole lot of non vanilla stuff, 3d sectors, use flats and wall textures interchangeable, you can scale textures to fit and move / align flats, you can have lines that are on a smaller grid than 1x1, as well as a lot of scripting stuff, dynamic lights, you can make it such that any action can be locked by any keycard or skull key, tag it so an action doesn't happen until

a specific a monster is killed, you can even make slopes... i could go on for a long time here.
I guess the big thing about it is that it also saves all the map information as .txt file as well. I've made a couple maps using it. It is easy to get lost in all the features but it allows for a lot  more flexibility in terms of what you can do on your map. It can be a bit overwhelming though with all the new features.

Oh one other thing i wanted to mention, about the current pandemonium mapping contest, you can make your DM map in vanilla and it will work in all the MP ports. All you have to do is add DM starts like you have done before on your map you made for the last event.

6 hours ago, Black Shuck 97 said:

Maps converted and stuff just doing some playtesting and slight rebalancing for one area. Turns out it was already made it in UDMF lucky me huh? Would you like me to insert the music into the file or just have it put in the map ready for you?

insert the music