Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kinker31

Do you think a proper Oblige-like for Quake 1 could be possible?

I've been using Oblige 7.70 and Obaddon more often, and it got me thinking: Since Oblige's able to make sector-based game maps (Doom, Heretic, Hacx...) with ease, could a similar program involving (and/or making good use) the Quake Engine's brushes be possible, and easy to make addons for the same way Oblige is, and could a Quake equivalent of ObAddon be made, or even built into this theoretical program? I'd personally love to see one get made, and I'd eagerly hop on board trying to develop one, but I right now, I'm not very good with code at the moment, at least not for stuff involving Quake, save for func_ent/brush_ent flags.

i think oblige v3 supports making quake maps, also the newest oblige version can export your generated map to the .map file format, so you can open it with a quake level editor (like j.a.c.k.), but the level may need some tweaks to be run properly.

20 minutes ago, cambreaKer said:

i think oblige v3 supports making quake maps, also the newest oblige version can export your generated map to the .map file format, so you can open it with a quake level editor (like j.a.c.k.), but the level may need some tweaks to be run properly.

I think I know what you mean, but I was thinking moreso an Oblige-like engine built to generate decent-at-least, 'no need to tweak' Quake bsp files.

Version 4.28 has working Quake 1 and Quake 2 support, though the levels are very plain.

Quake is harder to generate levels for, since the original maps make a lot of use of true 3D geometry, but Oblige's systems are very 2D orientated (in all versions) and it can't really do the game justice.

6 hours ago, andrewj said:

Version 4.28 has working Quake 1 and Quake 2 support, though the levels are very plain.

Quake is harder to generate levels for, since the original maps make a lot of use of true 3D geometry, but Oblige's systems are very 2D orientated (in all versions) and it can't really do the game justice.

I've tried generating Quake maps in that version before, but they all said I needed pak0 regardless of where I put them in the Oblige directory. Plus the webpage explaining how to do that properly is long gone

8 hours ago, EpicTyphlosion said:

I've tried generating Quake maps in that version before, but they all said I needed pak0 regardless of where I put them in the Oblige directory. Plus the webpage explaining how to do that properly is long gone

It needs pak0 in order to grab textures.  Quake is odd in that each map (bsp file) contains all the textures used in that map, unlike Doom (and most other games) where the textures are just part of the base game, e.g. in the IWAD.

Version 4.28 requires running a tool called "qsavetex" to create a texture package for Oblige.  I think you just copy it to where Quake is (probably the "id1" folder) and double click the EXE (on Windows OS).  It will create a WD2 file, and that's the file you need to copy into Oblige's folder.