Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bubbleman100

Doom Movies

A movie based on DoomWorld threads starring Rob Schneider of American Gigolo and Nicolas Cage as DoomGuy has great potential to be considered ''the worst''.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

A movie based on DoomWorld threads starring Rob Schneider of American Gigolo and Nicolas Cage as DoomGuy has great potential to be considered ''the worst''.

damn bro

This thread (the presentation and point of discussing from a negative perspective) is worse than either of the two doom movies.

The first movie from 2005 is the "good" one now. Mainly just for the first person sequence near the end.

The newer one may be closer to Doom in terms of plot but there's a lot of other things wrong with it that the original film did better despite being different from the source material.

4 minutes ago, Nevander said:

The first movie from 2005 is the "good" one now. Mainly just for the first person sequence near the end.

The newer one may be closer to Doom in terms of plot but there's a lot of other things wrong with it that the original film did better despite being different from the source material.

Pretty much the same for me. I'm still yet to fully give Annihilation a chance, and although it is closer to the core essence of Doom, it being so low-budget and bland just kills it.

The 2005 movie at least had a nice atmosphere and evocative locations, plus the FPS scene, despite being horseshit in nearly all the other aspects.

1 minute ago, seed said:

The 2005 movie at least had a nice atmosphere and evocative locations

Indeed, as well as the soundtrack. The music in the 2005 film is actually very good. I even own the soundtrack for it on CD and some tracks sound very Doom-like.

I saw the 2005 years ago and excepting the FPS scene didn't quite like it, felt like a generic action sci-fi movie that has doom in its name.

Saw Annihilation recently and like it despite the low budget, it felt more like a fan made movie of doom.

Don't know why, but i always saw the 2005 movies as the prequel to the original game. It is partially based on the backstory of utimate doom, where doomguy was located on the mission of phobos because he didn't obey his superior orders. Seems a lot like what happend in the movie between Sarge and Reaper.
Also as Nevader mentioned, the music is actually pretty spot on, and add a lot to the atmosphere, and the final FPS scene was fan service done damm right.
The screenplay made a lot of references to the Doom universe, from the mutilated hand serving as a key (from Tom Hall own scripts) to the BFG having it own name but renamed Big Fucking Gun when Sarge first use it/see it.

Also i really like the moral dilema that Reaper is subject of, how he struggle about the really bad things he done in his past, and the fear of becoming a real monster and kill his sister. I found it interesting from the humanist point, something like the soldier dilema: to obey orders or be human. I always found this kind of thing really entertaining, but no wonder as i love Apocalipsys Now.

Oh, the horror, the horror. I embrace it.

The second movie is somehow a parallel universe of Doom 3 with some back story of Ultimate Doom. So we have this Joan Dark (its not a reference to Joanna Dark, protagonist of Perfect Dark, seriously) who dissobey order in the past, and is reassigned to a phobos and there is a Doc. Betruger with his 1.5 gigowatts, and also a science guy who resemble a lot Tormentor's user pic.
It was a reeeeeeal meh!

Some find the actuation to be credible, but i found it lame and somewhat strained. Didn't like it much.

5 hours ago, Fonze said:

This thread (the presentation and point of discussing from a negative perspective) is worse than either of the two doom movies. 

I did it, because I knew that if I asked "Which movie is better", there would be a lot of people saying "how come which is better, they both suck!"

They are so different, it's hard to compare. The 1st one though obviously has much greater production quality. I rewatched it about 10 times, I think. The newer one... errr... I watched it once.

I love Portman :-----).

Doom 2005 is bad, and I mean BAD. But it had some funny one-liners and a decent fps scene. 

Doom Annihilation however is as bad as my mind can allow me to comprehend. First of all they made the Doomguy a female. That's just so lame and worthless, and instantly removes any connection to the franchise. The script is horrible, and the forced Id software references are bad and boring, because the actors don't know who Carmack is for example.

Some people might cry about the fact that I'm thrashing the movie due to the gender of Doomguy. Well, I've never played a Doom game where the player character is a woman.

But hey, let's make a Metroid movie with a male Samus and a Tomb Raider with a male Lara. We'll just rename them Seamus and Lars. 

55 minutes ago, Old-Doomguy said:

Some people might cry about the fact that I'm thrashing the movie due to the gender of Doomguy. Well, I've never played a Doom game where the player character is a woman. 

WOW, there! Don't be soo pushy, if a girl say stop, its stop! ok?

32 hours in pain

Go figure! Girls ARE doomy!

Its a brave new world, my man!

I didn't see DOOM Annihilation, but I liked DOOM (2005).

Also, now we have DOOM (1993) DOOM (2005) and DOOM (2016)

I didn't like either movie, but I probably prefer Annihilation- the original was a major disappointment when I first saw it in theaters as a teen (lol.) I kept my expectations pretty low this time around, and found myself somewhat pleasantly surprised when there were parts that I didn't hate (had a similar experience with D'2016, fwiw.) The ending was pretty Doom-y; It didn't take itself too seriously for a cheesy/nonsensical B-movie; The actual action and death scenes were bad in a kind of funny way; I thought the brief hell-scene looked better than the first person sequence too.