Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yaboidave

dark earth: a doom 2 mapset

this is the 1st level of my new mapset for doom 2.

you'll need otex to play it

there isn't any story but I can write one if you want.

the map contains references to eviternity, Indiana jones, e1m1 from doom 1 and doom 3 because it's dark sometimes

As of now (14/5/2020), it contains 1 level

tested in gzdoom.

built-in doom builder 2 under doom 2 format.

so far the level takes about 4 and a half minutes.

the map isn't configured for difficulties.

you don't need anything special but I encourage jumping and mouselook.

I will be constantly updating this and may change some of the above

there are no new monsters or weapons

there isn't really a specific gameplay theme most of it works as a run and gun but not all of it.

feedback is appreciated

have fun! 

oh yea at the end of the level I shot an imp onto a one map pixel ledge as shown in the screenshot "dark eart 7"

dark earth 1.PNG

dark earth 2.PNG

dark earth 3.PNG

dark earth 4.PNG

dark earth 5.PNG

dark earth 6.PNG

dark earth 8.PNG

dark eart 7.PNG

dark earth.zip

two suggestions; you should not call it a "map set" as one map doesn't make one. Second, I don't think players will 'need OTEX' as usually these resources are embedded into the custom wad itself.

18 minutes ago, bLUEbYTE said:

two suggestions; you should not call it a "map set" as one map doesn't make one. Second, I don't think players will 'need OTEX' as usually these resources are embedded into the custom wad itself.

well, it's a map set in progress and I don't know what else you would call one level.

also I'm not sure if otex is embedded into it

2 hours ago, yaboidave said:

well, it's a map set in progress and I don't know what else you would call one level.

also I'm not sure if otex is embedded into it

I think you should team up with 'sergeirocks100'

5 minutes ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

You mean the guy who's making Satanic Infestation?

If that's the guy, then I think bluebyte is being kind of rude here~

Whatever, you do not worry @yaboidave, continue with what you are doing and remember to not do any newbie mistake such as big empty rooms, texture misalignments, unpegged doors, thick doors, etc.

I can not play this map right now, but I wish you luck on this, and maybe changing a few things here and there.

you'll need otex to play it

there isn't any story but I can write one if you want.

1.- You can embed OTEX into your WAD, but the process is kind of hard so I think you can just put it into your file and convert the right files with SLADE3 into zdoom/gzdoom compatible file types, remember to credit the author ukiro as needed, he did a beyond excellent work on OTEX!

2.- Stories are not strictly necessary, and it is not "if you want" but if you, the author, wants it, stories can help getting a good idea and flow on mapsets, though.

Also be careful of big/bland rooms, try to change some textures or add details, items, small structures, etc., the first and fourth screenshots seems a bit bland, but the fourth one has a BFG so it makes it feel a bit more.. "ominous"?, maybe add dead marines or enemies around, It may feel even more ominous.

You could also perhaps change the name to something less, say.. "generic"? - For this, you could make a small story for your WAD (For example: You are a marine whose french fries were stolen by a pinky demon) and from there make a better name for it. (On this case we can call it "Da French Pink Thief" or something).

Once again, good luck!

Advanced issue found

🤓
15 hours ago, Archanhell said:

You could also perhaps change the name to something less, say.. "generic"? - For this, you could make a small story for your WAD (For example: You are a marine whose french fries were stolen by a pinky demon) and from there make a better name for it. (On this case we can call it "Da French Pink Thief" or something).

is it ok if I use that?

1 hour ago, yaboidave said:

is it ok if I use that?

You can not name your map "Da French Pink Thief" unless you really want it to be named like that~

From the view of those screenshots, though... Something tech-ish would work pretty well on this case.

If you refer to the idea of making a small story in order to have an idea and a better name...

Then yes, you can.

On 5/14/2020 at 2:27 AM, bLUEbYTE said:

I think you should team up with 'sergeirocks100'

Oof.