Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Defdock

Title edit: i need help :( seriously. Im loosing my mind.

Guess this is my new member intro 😉

So i played doom alot growing up, never knew there was even mods/wads/ect till after i got my first PSP system, i had it hacked and it ran on some random doom engine im not sure of. At the time i learned of all these great communities who mod the games/engines. I tried making/editing some wads back then and lost the files, they werent good anyways lol. I downloaded "freedoom" on the google app store and was able to use some wads i did find and others i had to download again online.  "Freedoom" runs on gzdoom i beleive.

I haven't had a PC or laptop in over 5 years, let alone enough knowledge to create what im imagining. There are a few wads i need certain elements taken for a "new" one, and 1 or 2 small extra elements.

With times these recent days, everyone needs help. If anyone is serious to help, il give a 40$ paypal payment.

Long story short i need help making a weapons wad with 1 or 2 monster/noise changes.

Edited by Defdock

Il have to borrow a buddies laptop. I dont have a computer...

1 wad i was able to edit in a basic text editor on my phone, the rest showup as hieroglyphs in text.... i guess il find out tuesday what will turn up when i have the laptop. I remembered some wad files could be edited(very minimally) with notepad on the pc, tried it on my phone and somewhat succeeded. Was able to rename the in-game item name so it would load with another wad....   the "ghettoblaster" is now named "Doombox" ;)     ive been playing the "moon man" wad.... and while alot of it i dont agree with, the suicide bombers are the only part i like since it adds quite a bit more difficulty to the game. Anyways, the "ghettoblaster" in that mod over writes the rickroll mod, so i had to try and rename the item on either wad so it wont play their garbage songs.

Those bombers are one part of the wad i want for my version, minus the sounds. They seem to replace Pinky in the game. And the only other thing i want from that mod is the shovel weapon. 

Edited by Defdock : More detail... i talk too much

So i got my hands on a laptop for about a week. Im not sure what WAD editor(s) to use?!    Found a small list on the wiki and had alot of issues... some editors had no current links (all hosting sites gone/removed), the others would not run because one file is missing.... using the install.exe or not. Slade was one of them, and thankfully had a list of previous versions... going down the list trying, version 3.0.0 is the only one that runs....

Apparently reads out hieroglyphs also...

Anyone have a better WAD editor to sudjest?

i'd suggest Ultimate Doom Builder for map editing, and SLADE for general wad editing, and if you're going to get into PWADs as a hobby, you should probably get an actual machine of your own, if you want to, i can give some suggestions

Not getting into maps and dont plan on making this a full time hobby. I can borrow my buddies laptop "anytime you (me) need as long as its just for a day or so". 

Using slade and opening the wads i have, i cant really do much to even read let alone edit it...

Il get a picture after dinner...  really the only thing i can edit is some sprite and sounds. Im trying to change weapon and enemy behavior. :(

Edited by Defdock

The PKG file i want to copy a monster from, does not open/show anything.

One wad only shows graphics and sound files, except for a dehacked file that seems to only adjust enemy damage....

Other wad  just has blank markers and "unknown" files

:(

20200519_181849.jpg

20200519_181544.jpg

Ok.... i reallllly need some help.

I cant find a wad editor besides slade v3 and it doesnt read any of these wad files or pk3 😢      

Only wad it will open is the ghettoblaster, and really all i can manage is to rename it, change the sound, damage and fire speed... any other change either seems to do nothing or wont load the wad on gzdoom. Trying to change it from replacing the chainsaw to being the fists, and not "shoot" 360° around me... a barrel can be directly behind me and i end up shooting it 😑

I guess im not going to acheive the results im looking for anytime soon :(

maybe someone can do me a small favor... recomended an editor that can view dehacked/pk3 files!

dehacked files are just text files that can be opened in any text editor, and PK3 files are just renamed ZIP files, anything that can open ZIP archives can open them

Opening wads with dehacked files on slade, i only see graphics/sounds and the dehacked file that has no important/direct editing to weapons.

Pk3 is just a zip file? Oh man.... this is going to be interesting.... i hope i can find something.

Thank you for the info.

24 minutes ago, Defdock said:

dehacked file that has no important/direct editing to weapons.

The dehacked file is how the weapons are edited. Weapons are made up of frame sequences, dehacked edits those frame sequences. That's what the text file does.

9 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

The dehacked file is how the weapons are edited. Weapons are made up of frame sequences, dehacked edits those frame sequences. That's what the text file does.

Opening the one wad in slade, the file consists of graphics/sounds and a dehacked file which does read. But going down the list of text, it only really describes ammo and shows no context of any specific weapon or even the graphic/sound files....

Im beyond lost now.... tomorrow afterwork im going to attempt to open the one pk3 file and see what is able to be worked with, and il post a copy/text of what one dehacked file reads.... maybe someone can educate me more :(