Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hisymak

Is there anything Doom engine is better at than Quake engine?

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

The PSX version actually did add floor textures in some places! It's most notable in the Boot Camp stage.

That makes me rightfully PO'ed.

Where is my frying pan...

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

That makes me rightfully PO'ed.

Where is my frying pan...

Where's my reverse-engineered source port :(

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Where's my reverse-engineered source port :(

RePO'ed?

The whole premise of PO'ed would make for an excellent Chuck Mingle book. ''PO'ed in the butt fighting walking butts with a frying pan on a space station''

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

RePO'ed?

The whole premise of PO'ed would make for an excellent Chuck Mingle book. ''PO'ed in the butt fighting walking butts with a frying pan on a space station''

Presumably, you meant Chuck Tingle. :P

But yeah, RePO'ed would actually be a good name for it, I'd think.

Or maybe XPO'ed (Extremely Pissed Off) or something.

32 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Presumably, you meant Chuck Tingle. :P

But yeah, RePO'ed would actually be a good name for it, I'd think.

Or maybe XPO'ed (Extremely Pissed Off) or something.

All i know is that Chuck Mingle is a single pringle and would love to tingle and mingle with Chuck Single.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

All i know is that Chuck Mingle is a single pringle and would love to tingle and mingle with Chuck Single.

And then play with his dingle?

15 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Doom is about 10 times easier to design levels for. Making Quake levels was a nightmare allegedly. 

Yeah, originally selecting the "Nightmare" skill in Quake was supposed to drop you into the level editor. But they took it out of the shareware and forgot to put it back in the registered release. Tru story.

Anybody half-proficient with designing levels for any truly 3D game would have moved on to working in the game industry eventually, or had the intention/dream of doing so in the first place. It's a whole another level of specialization and dedication.

Honestly, I started designing levels in the late 90s/early 2000s and found Quake engine games so much easier to work with due to better editor interfaces. 3D previews were a godsend, plus grids for manipulating geometry in each dimension. It was very hard for me to wrap my head around mapping for Doom, filling in heights separately from map geometry was super unintuitive and confusing to me, and I remember absolutely hating the upper/middle/lower texture distinction. I had such a hard time getting things to look the way I wanted. I wished I could just block maps out with brushes like I was doing in Half-Life, so I gave up pretty quickly. It really wasn't until the first Doom Builder came out that I even took mapping for Doom seriously.

Nowadays with equally good tools, Doom is much easier to map for than a Quake engine game. I can't remember the last time I even felt like making a Quake map, it's a much more involved process compared to the quick turnaround to fun gameplay that Doom offers. Plus the gameplay itself is just more fun to me, I love me some Quake (and Half-Life), but no where to the extent that I enjoy Doom.

As I understand it, making the original Quake levels was only really a nightmare because id's own QuakeEd sucked pretty hard, as Romero's mentioned many times. It doesn't surprise me, since figuring out how to represent and edit geometry in 3D is a lot harder than doing it in 2D like with Doom, and they didn't quite get it right the first time. Later editors are extremely improved on this front.

Mapping for Unreal (and, by extension, Unreal Tournament) is a lot less painful than for Quake. That is because in Unreal you carve the hollow spaces in a solid infinity, rather than solid brushes in an empty infinity. Just a side note, though.

6 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

Doom does your mom better than Quake.

true dat.

2 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Mapping for Unreal (and, by extension, Unreal Tournament) is a lot less painful than for Quake. That is because in Unreal you carve the hollow spaces in a solid infinity, rather than solid brushes in an empty infinity. Just a side note, though.

That's how UE1 and UE2 worked, yes, but starting with UE3 you were also able to do Quake-style mapping where you fill an infinite void as opposed to carve rooms out of an infinite solid. You choose which way you'd rather make it when you begin creating a new map.

Both methods got their pros and cons, of course.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:34 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

Quake can't have any memorable Bosses, while DOOM can. 

Well quake had memorable bosses, becuase there were only two and they sucked.

Quake was coded in QuakeC, an "id's branch of C", if I can say. 

For me it's a LOT easier to understand than ZScript, ACS or Decorate. I started with my newbie mods with QuakeC, that was a good basis for me. On the other hand, it's not a well coded game and the mappping are even less pleasant.

Everything may crashes horrendous if you mysplaced some entity, still, it's a great game to mod and to study HOW TO mod. If someone doesn't know, I recommend take a look in the Wrath: Aeon of Ruin. The game was made in moded Quake Engine called DarkPlaces. Beautiful game. 

Fortunately there is TrenchBroom, and I imagine modern QuakeC compilers too, nowadays.

14 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Fortunately there is TrenchBroom, and I imagine modern QuakeC compilers too, nowadays.

Yeah, I almost forgot of TrenchBroom, and I have it installed here. 

About the modern compilers... yeaaaah... the new engines. They are great, rly, but I don't know how to work they. My fault totally. 

And we have Arcane Dimensions too. Just one of the best ways to play Quake  I ever. 

On 5/19/2020 at 9:52 AM, fraggle said:

I always felt that Quake's weapon models were a step backwards from Doom's photorealistic sprites.

Big ol' facts here. Early 3D games have aged like crap, unfortunately.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:12 PM, boris said:

A funny thing is that to this day it's not possible to properly rotate brushes, it's all fake.

Is it like that on Hexen 2 as well?

On 5/20/2020 at 11:25 AM, Maximum Matt said:

Quake's weapon models sucked unforgivably - it was almost as if they were an afterthought 

Agreed. Awful.

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

Like the snout of a dog or what?

I guess like the one from Rise of the Triad?

I mean, on a side note, the Doom pistol looks really odd to me. It looks very round and weird. I wonder how.

Edited by Gustavo6046

5 hours ago, Gothic said:

Is it like that on Hexen 2 as well?

No, they implemented proper rotation into the engine. Or perhaps borrowed it from Quake 2 (I read they were able to backport some of its features). But either way it's real.

For sure, the biggest advantage of DOOM Engine is practicality, in Quake, the simplest things, take too long to be done, if you want to make a room in DOOM, make a square in the grid joining at the tip of each vertex a linedef, now congratulations, you have a basic room.

In Quake, you need to assemble each plan by hand, it is not drawing a shape to make a room, it is drawing a shape to make a flat structure, that is, triple the time to make a DOOM level and you will have in hand how complicated it is to make a level in Quake.

Quake's levels feel smaller because they have a lot more verticality than DOOM's levels. So they have more height and areas above other areas. In DOOM, the levels are basically flat, so they cover a bigger surface area this way. Still, the big city areas in DOOM 2 are much bigger overall but also much more empty and boxy looking.

One thing DOOM has over Quake is the automap. Maps are flat so it's easy to have one in DOOM. In Quake you need something like the 3D map system in Metroid Prime or DOOM 2016/Eternal, but probably even more intricate than those because it's levels are still like big, complex puzzles you need to solve, like in most FPS games of the pre-3D era. Not easy to do and they can be disorienting.