Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Sandy Petersen Reacts to Doom Eternal

I felt the same way about a lot of the things he was saying, you can really tell he loves the classic formula, as do I. He's a pretty funny guy too.

3 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I felt the same way about a lot of the things he was saying, you can really tell he loves the classic formula, as do I. He's a pretty funny guy too.

From what I saw, he loved the game.

Only the secrets weren't too interesting to him (they question mark only)

2:06 in the video:

---

Sandy: "And there's a robot... a robot?"
Son: "He's in the first one...."
Sandy: "The first what? The first trailer?"
Son: "Nah, the first Doom game."
Sandy: "There's no robot in the first Doom game!"
Son: "I mean, the one before this."
Sandy: "Doom 3?"
Son: "No, Doom 4."
Sandy: "This is Doom 4?"
Son: "This is Doom 5."
Sandy: "I didn't even know there was a Doom 4."

Pretty fun watch. I agree with some of the criticisms he had, and I honestly wasn't surprised to see he was more critical of new Doom than say, Romero.

That being said, I found it somewhat surprising when he said he never played Doom 3 either. I'd think that after id-of-olde fired Sandy, he basically moved away from the series as well.

3 hours ago, seed said:

id-of-olde fired Sandy

Honestly why?

This dude created some great games aside from Doom

17 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

2:06 in the video:

---

Sandy: "And there's a robot... a robot?"
Son: "He's in the first one...."
Sandy: "The first what? The first trailer?"
Son: "Nah, the first Doom game."
Sandy: "There's no robot in the first Doom game!"
Son: "I mean, the one before this."
Sandy: "Doom 3?"
Son: "No, Doom 4."
Sandy: "This is Doom 4?"
Son: "This is Doom 5."
Sandy: "I didn't even know there was a Doom 4."

This is like a modern-take "Doom's on first?" sketch. 

3 minutes ago, Job said:

This is like a modern-take "Doom's on first?" sketch. 

It's sorta sad that he never heard about Doom 4

9 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

It's sorta sad that he never heard about Doom 4

TBQH, I find it to be a hilarious snub (since he helped develop OG Doom, obviously) while also being a stereotypical "geeeeez, dad" moment. 

I mostly find it weird how hung up he's getting on plausible military weapons and tactics. Like... classic Doom was -hardly- anything close to realism in that sense. Far future where (old-school) pump-action shotgun, Gatling guns and chainsaws are the main military arms, instead of SMG's, automatic rifles and what not? Where plasma guns shoot slow moving energy balls?

Mostly commenting on this since it didn't...seem like he was being sarcastic/ ironic? I don't know, if he was, then I'm just slow. I just thought it's strange that mechs and laser swords seem way too out there to him when classic Doom had more than enough odd things all over the place itself. 

19 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

mechs and laser swords seem way too out there to him when classic Doom had more than enough odd things all over the place itself. 

He was just like: We never had these. And who uses a sword for close combat when you have guns?

5 hours ago, The Doommer said:

He was just like: We never had these. And who uses a sword for close combat when you have guns?

Right, but that musing just has me wondering in turn "who uses a chainsaw at all in a post-modern combat situation?". Like I said, it just struck me as a very strange critique/ train of thought. 

13 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

who uses a chainsaw at all in a post-modern combat situation?

A survivor who clings to any object that he can fight with?

On 5/17/2020 at 1:46 AM, Taurus Daggerknight said:

I mostly find it weird how hung up he's getting on plausible military weapons and tactics. Like... classic Doom was -hardly- anything close to realism in that sense. Far future where (old-school) pump-action shotgun, Gatling guns and chainsaws are the main military arms, instead of SMG's, automatic rifles and what not? Where plasma guns shoot slow moving energy balls?

You're right: A pistols weight is much lower than a chainsaws. A pistol can also be used for long range attacks. No man can carry or fire a gatling gun. A rocket launcher is only useful to attack armored vehicles and buildings.

15 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

A survivor who clings to any object that he can fight with?

That would include all the other implements and actual weapons that make for much better melee range tools than a  cumbersome chainsaw that needs fuel to run.

My point being; it's a bit of a rabbit hole to go down if someone wants to pick apart a Doom game by way of "logic for military stuff". Because, really... the original games do not follow through on that in the slightest. 

On 5/18/2020 at 7:14 PM, igg said:

No man can carry or fire a gatling gun.

That is not a Gatling gun, but a chaingun. These are different.

On 5/18/2020 at 7:14 PM, igg said:

A rocket launcher is only useful to attack armored vehicles and buildings.

Again. When you are not in a normal situation and try to survive, you don't care what you have as a weapon.

On 5/18/2020 at 7:18 PM, Taurus Daggerknight said:

it's a bit of a rabbit hole to go down if someone wants to pick apart a Doom game by way of "logic for military stuff". Because, really... the original games do not follow through on that in the slightest. 

Correct.

sandy rules imo
got a stack of Dragon Magazines from ages ago where he reviews things very strangely indeed so this is on brand

5 hours ago, yakfak said:

sandy rules imo

Yes,

Also, it is indeed interesting that why Spider Mastermind was an easier boss than Cyberdemon.

Also, I'm waiting to see his reaction to the Icon of Sin

On 5/16/2020 at 9:01 AM, The Doommer said:

Honestly why?

This dude created some great games aside from Doom

The biggest clue we get, I think, is him in this archived Gamespot newspost.

The dynamic had changed at id.

It doesn't elaborate on why he was fired, per se, but it does hint that basically creative direction went in a different way than he liked. (Presumably this was down to Quake II being much more sci-fi oriented than Doom or Quake's more monster-like horrors.)

Then again, this VG24/7 article says that he "took himself off" - i.e; rather than be fired, he quit.

Maybe someone should just throw him a tweet and ask?

Watched part 1. I liked a lot of the points he made, and it's interesting to see how methodologies in game design change, even within one company. As old people leave and new people come in, it's genuinely interesting to hear his take, after having last touched the series more than twenty five years ago.  

On mercredi 20 mai 2020 at 12:03 PM, The Doommer said:

Chaingun is its name, but it's not actually a chain gun. (Chain guns do not have rotary cannons...)

Second vid, Sandy remembers there being 300% armor in the game, that absorbs 2/3 damage...

"...people not double jump. Mario double jump..."

And also, I only now realize, after listening to low quality sound, that most demonic chanting in DE reminds me painkillers "end of the level" chanting.

On 5/20/2020 at 6:03 AM, The Doommer said:

Again. When you are not in a normal situation and try to survive, you don't care what you have as a weapon.

Correct.

It's not a Chaingun, it's a Gatling.

You don't want to impale someone on your nice new shiny pike.   You want to use your old crappy one you've been using for years.