Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amph

best megawad in the last 3 years?

smooth doom is pretty sick i want to try it on something recent, anything that is worth mentioning? no mod only for vanilla doom 2

When you say "vanilla Doom 2", do you mean literally the original DOS exe / Chocolate Doom with all its limitations from 1993, or do you just mean "not including a GZDoom mod"?

If it's the latter (which I suspect it is), Eviternity is up there.

If it isn't strictly 'no port' then yeah...I second Eviternity in a heartbeat. Akeldama makes a top three list in any case, though.

Wait, so are you looking for any megawad or a megawad that would be compatible with smooth doom?

1 hour ago, Amph said:

smooth doom is pretty sick i want to try it on something recent, anything that is worth mentioning? no mod only for vanilla doom 2

You can't play Eviternity with Smooth Doom, they are both incompatible.

But not only with Eviternity, there are thousand of megawads that are incompatible with Smooth Doom.
The only megawads you could play with Smooth Doom are those that don't use modified monters.
Search in here the megawads and check that they don't use modified content. IF it say ZDoom its probably it will have partial compatibility with smooth doom.

Edited by P41R47

24 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

You can't play Eviternity with Smooth Doom, they are both incompatible.

But not only with Eviternity, there are thousand of megawads that are incompatible with Smooth Doom.
The only megawads you could play with Smooth Doom are those that don't use modified monters.
Search in here the megawads and check that they don't use modified content. IF it say ZDoom its probably it will have partial compatibility with smooth doom.

Uhh, what? Evernity+SD works just fine for me. It doesn't modify the original Doom monsters, it just adds new ones.

I would highly recommend it too, because Evernity is fucking awesome.

1 minute ago, Gifty said:

Uhh, what? Evernity+SD works just fine for me. It doesn't modify the original Doom monsters, it just adds new ones.

I would highly recommend it too, because Evernity is fucking awesome.

Oh, yes, Eviternity uses the MDF actors for the new monsters. I forget it.

But don't expect that the new monsters will have smooth animations. And the pistol will be replaced as well; no more higher rate of fire and perfect accuracy.

Edited by dmslr

I'm not familiar what will work with Smooth Doom...but Akeldama and also NOVA 3 (recommended too) will almost certainly have nothing to break it, they have no custom or modded weapons or monsters AFAIK.

Also: Mass Extinction & Adonis (later is 16 levels, still a 'half megawad').

The general rule of thumb is, anything that doesn't replace(!) original Doom 2 monsters/weapons should be fine. New monsters are ok as long as they don't replace old ones; new weapons get tricky because that can mess up the player definition.

That is what I figured...the thread title asks for 'best' which I say is Akeldama but mentioned some other megawads as well.

BTW also look soon for @Phobus to hopefully drop 25 Years on Earth, it has no new features planned, and the demo suggests it's set to be a great megawad.

1 hour ago, dmslr said:

Why limit yourself to the last 3 years?

because i have already played all the good old one

i like megawad in the tone of Unholy Realms or more difficult, in the vein of AV, MM or HR also would be great

@AmphDefinitely Adonis and Akeldama would be best bets with those specs, for wads of 15 levels or more. Akeldama is a community wad like MM or Requiem or AV. 1k Lines is limitation based but still notable as a community wad as well.

I will say TNT: Revilution. But you will have to turn down Smooth Doom in map30: Malignata as it uses the SS Nazi and the Commander Keen to make new monsters only on that map.

maybe i'm missing something but on youtube Akeldama appear with modified weapons, there are more version of it?

55 minutes ago, Amph said:

maybe i'm missing something but on youtube Akeldama appear with modified weapons, there are more version of it?

maybe its somebody playing it with a gameplay mod that alter only the weapons.
Final Doomer+ is one of those mods.