Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

Antaresian Reliquary - A Compilation of Community Project Levels (now on /idgames)

Antaresian Reliquary has been updated to RC2 with the following changes:

- MAP02: Adjusted the revenent ambush, near the red keycard, courtesy of Redead-ITA

- Added a weapon-swapping sound effect to the rest of weapons, except melee weapons
- Added an obituary for Former Ranger
- Now every weapon has greatly faster weapon-switching speed

- Re-recorded demo files

Click here to download RC2

Also, the separate weapon mod is also updated, based on the changes from RC2. Remember, this mod is only compatible with any wads with no custom dehacked file.

Click here to download the weapon mod

I'm happy to see another solo author compilation wad and gameplay changes are wonderful in this! Though, something about trying to refire an SSG on a faster metronome ASAP feels stressful with the animation falling behind a couple of frames. Didn't even knew some maps of yours existed, until this compilation.

Would it be at all possible to change the color of some of the font? I'm finding it difficult to see the kills/secrets counter and the message fonts because the color is kind of dark. 

17 hours ago, Alexagon said:

Would it be at all possible to change the color of some of the font? I'm finding it difficult to see the kills/secrets counter and the message fonts because the color is kind of dark. 

Yeah, I was aware of this issue, which only occurs with ZDoom-related source ports, such as GZDoom and Zandronum. I'm gonna add FONTDEFS lump to resolve this problem in the next update.

4 minutes ago, Alexagon said:

Quick question: what does RC1/2 stand for in this context?

Release Candidate. It's a beta that's finished enough that it could be "released," but the author is doing it as a public beta to catch any final bugs and add polishing based on feedback.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:56 AM, antares031 said:

While the official UV-Max time is 42:30, you can definitely go for below 40 minutes, if you optimize your route. Not to mention that weapons in AR are quite powerful, compare to the original doom.

The only beef with the map though is choppiness when you get to the second half of the map. I usually go through the maps slowly rather than compete for the fastest time to UV Max them (for example, someone may take 40 minutes to complete a level while I may take more than an hour). Unlike the other players, I like to collect the remaining items at the end of the maps.

3 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

Unlike the other players, I like to collect the remaining items at the end of the maps.

There are 85 items in the MAP31, and you should be able to find all of them, once everything is clear. Just remember to grab every secret, and some items in tricky positions, such as a berserk in the first arena, and a megasphere in the chaingunner arena, which you need to take the teleporter in the lava pit. MAP31 is indeed not a small map, but this is definitely not a level, which you need to spend 3 hours or more, in order to achieve UV-Max+.

Antaresian Reliquary has been updated to RC3 with a few minor changes:

- Fixed an issue with small font, which occurs in ZDoom-related source ports
* Now small font should be visible with correct color in ZDoom, instead of darker one
- Updated MAPINFO into ZMAPINFO, to resolve the issue with MAP31's ending message with ZDoom-related source ports

Click here to download the wad (RC3)

If nothing goes wrong, this version will be uploaded to idgames, since it looks like there's nothing more to change for levels and gameplay.

Antaresian Reliquary is now available on idgames. The final version fixes the glitched spot in MAP07, where the player can fall down to the solid floor.

Click here to download (idgames)

I'd like to thank everyone, who gave me feedback opinions and bug reports. And I hope you guys enjoy playing this wad, like I enjoyed making this one. Thanks, and have fun. :)

The exit teleporter in level 1 kills me (and won't load the next level, if that was the idea). In the console it shows a message saying 'unknown event type'. I'm using the last GZDoom.

1 hour ago, Turin Turambar said:

The exit teleporter in level 1 kills me (and won't load the next level, if that was the idea). In the console it shows a message saying 'unknown event type'. I'm using the last GZDoom.

Maybe, you're using a classic Doom compatibility mode. Set it to Boom and try again.

@Dimon12321 Thanks for posting playthrough video! A shame that the HUD numbers didn't work pretty well with dynamic colors. I should have thought about that.

@Turin Turambar I downloaded the latest GZDoom, g4.4.2, and had no issue with the wad; the death exit worked as intended. I think your question belongs to source port section, rather than here. For technical information, the death exit uses BrainDie code pointer, which is also used by Icon of Sin's Big Brain.

Amazing maps. The extreme linedef texture scrolls used for the Camel wall, static on screens and waterfalls were utterly amazing. 

I got to about Map4 until the performance was so bad in GZDoom I had to stop. The 6xKey switch room basically dropped to 2 FPS once the Archviles dropped in. Then spent a frustrating evening trying to get PRBoom going, only to find Map31 still didn't run terribly great. 

Maybe I'll come back to this later with a super computer :)

Edited by Jovian

@Jovian Since MAP31 has more than 40k monsters on UV, lowering difficulty for that level is usually recommended, so you only need to deal with just 10k monsters. You can also try GLBoom+, which is basically the OpenGL version of PrBoom+. It'll give you some performance boost with your GPU, compare to PrBoom+'s software renderer.

Mixtape of random antares maps > 80% of the idgames archive. Seriously, this is gorgeous!

This looks great! Im glad to see the quality of map making still exceeds expectations even on the Doom/Boom engine!
Ill be sure to check it out.

I have never thought it's possible to draw pictures on the intermission screen. I guess, the creator's avatar is made in the same way =)

Spoiler

That's what you will see after beating Map 31.

image.png.0ca7c3b4356ce1a25369051aa1ace251.png

1 hour ago, Dimon12321 said:

I have never thought it's possible to draw pictures on the intermission screen

I had to sacrifice two letters to become blue square and gold square. Fortunately, it was worth to try.

Sidenote, GZDoom didn't like the idea of changing the color of some letters; it made the other letters become darker from the HUD, making them more difficult to recognize. Because of this, you can see the alternative version of intermission text screen, made out of the original red and pink colors of Doom's default letters.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:43 AM, Doomkid said:

Mixtape of random antares maps > 80% of the idgames archive. Seriously, this is gorgeous!

It is definitely not 80%. I think it's more like 99.9% :)

Struggle: Antaresian Legacy is one of the best wads ever created. At some point in my life I felt quite depressed and going through every next day was a real struggle. Playing Struggle: Antaresian Legacy actually made these days much easier to get through.

This year I've opened the wad numerous times in Ultimate Doom Builder just to analyze and learn. I don't know if it is a coincidence that my work relies heavily on blue textures.

It's also absolutely amazing what can be done with just DeHacked. It's kinda shame that wads with extensive DeHacked modding are not the most popular ones as Ievel design here is top-notch.

I have yet to play through the Antaresian Reliquary but I have no doubts it will be an amazing experience, just like other work from the author :)

1 hour ago, MaishyN said:

Struggle: Antaresian Legacy is one of the best wads ever created. At some point in my life I felt quite depressed and going through every next day was a real struggle. Playing Struggle: Antaresian Legacy actually made these days much easier to get through.

Hey, thank you for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the megawad, and it actually cheered you up in real life.

While Struggle was designed for limit-removing compatibility, which is limited to vanilla mapping tricks, every level of AR was designed for boom compatibility, except the first level. Since boom features lots of useful functions and tricks, and the most of classic doom wads are designed with boom nowadays, it is also recommended to take a look and analyze AR as well, after you finished analyzing Struggle. If you want to know how the dehacked was designed, export the DEHACKED lump from the wad, and load the file with WhackEd4 dehacked editor. It's worth mentioning that dehacked is still being used to create custom elements for classic wads nowadays, such as Valiant, Ancient Aliens, and Eviternity.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy Antaresian Reliquary, just like you enjoyed Struggle. :)

On 7/30/2020 at 9:14 AM, antares031 said:

Hey, thank you for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the megawad, and it actually cheered you up in real life.

While Struggle was designed for limit-removing compatibility, which is limited to vanilla mapping tricks, every level of AR was designed for boom compatibility, except the first level. Since boom features lots of useful functions and tricks, and the most of classic doom wads are designed with boom nowadays, it is also recommended to take a look and analyze AR as well, after you finished analyzing Struggle. If you want to know how the dehacked was designed, export the DEHACKED lump from the wad, and load the file with WhackEd4 dehacked editor. It's worth mentioning that dehacked is still being used to create custom elements for classic wads nowadays, such as Valiant, Ancient Aliens, and Eviternity.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy Antaresian Reliquary, just like you enjoyed Struggle. :)

Thanks for thorough explanation! I definitely admire tricks used in Struggle as I love vanilla old school Doom. I personally started doing my work in Boom format as it seems to be a great trade-off that gives a lot more flexibility in mapping than vanilla Doom while still keeping the old school feeling.

I also absolutely love voodoo dolls. Voodoo dolls on conveyor belts seem to be somewhat like a Boom programming language. I'm currently exploring ideas for puzzles and tricky dynamic environments :D

[Important Note]

A small change has been made to the idgames version, which fixes the DECORATE code that caused significant frame rate drop, during the particular moment on MAP06 with any ZDoom-related source ports. This also fixes a couple of DECORATE issues, such as "Antaresia shows pain state sprite, during the firing state". If you're mainly using ZDoom-related source ports, please download the newer version on idgames, which is dated as August 24. 2020. Since this doesn't affect any other resources, other than DECORATE, there should be no issue with the demo recordings currently out there. Sorry about the inconvenience, and have fun.

12 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

Congratulations on your second Cacoward!

Much appreciated! I'm super-happy that people had fun with playing the wad, as much as I had fun with making it. :)